HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:53 PM
Joined Feb 2013
20 Posts
Discussion
picture of a huge new microdrones quadrocopter

hello everybody! i am on a hunt for information.
apparently the german engineers came up with a new drone. my source in germany told me it is almost 2 meters in diameter. does anyone know more about it? it looks it can carry a lot! this would be the perfect shot for the red.
uavhollywood is offline Find More Posts by uavhollywood
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:22 PM
Joined Feb 2013
20 Posts
anybody?
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:14 PM
In progress...
Estonia, Tartu County, Tartu
Joined Jul 2012
214 Posts
The quad on the picture is certanly not 2m in diameter. Quad is never a perfect shot for RED since it crashes right after any motor failure.
Skewp is online now Find More Posts by Skewp
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:33 AM
United States, NJ, Manville
Joined May 2006
1,578 Posts
That quad will Have a hard time if it ever will carry a red...The landing gear will give out if it lands bad and it will be a task to install a stable camera gimbal to that frame...
skizziks is offline Find More Posts by skizziks
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:29 AM
serial scratchbuilder
Canada, BC, Mission
Joined Sep 2012
1,324 Posts
Looks like poor photoshop skills to me. Shadows are missing or floating in mid air, L/G crooked and off center, etc...
Granted is offline Find More Posts by Granted
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:13 PM
Joined Feb 2013
20 Posts
this thing is real. thats for sure. never heard of a microdrone to fail. their last model could carry the weight of an epic for 15 - 20 minutes easy. i saw it! the landing gear is in my opinion a good idea cause it flexes on a hard landing. i those guys say it can carry 4 kilos for 40 minutes i belive them. with the new emus and gimbals it is all about efficiency!
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:59 PM
Joined Feb 2013
20 Posts
question: under real conditions how long would you fly an octo with an epic? 2 minutes.....5 if there is no wind....? and even then its on its limit! right?
we are looking for a prof. solution!
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:44 PM
United States, NJ, Manville
Joined May 2006
1,578 Posts
When we at Skyvue AP did our contract for copart we were flying in 25MPH wind with a DSLR on board for about 5 minutes..with extreme stability....We designed and built our Camflite Octo from scratch including the camera gimbal....We have never reached our maximum capacity of lift but the maximum capacity of our hardware is calculated to lift over 20 LBS...There is no way I would trust a RED on a Quad and a quad will never deliver stable enough video in windy conditions....Here are a few of our videos for your viewing pleasure..

http://www.skyvueap.com/

The Zombie Mud Run (2 min 24 sec)

Orange County Choppers (0 min 57 sec)

Rebuild The Jersey Shore (2 min 45 sec)

Franklin Fire 12:10:12 (2 min 20 sec)
skizziks is offline Find More Posts by skizziks
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:31 AM
Joined Feb 2013
20 Posts
thank you for posting your videos. 5 minutes with a dslr and the 3axis gimbal is in my opinion not a professional solution. i can tell that you post stabilized all your videos and even after that there is a lot of wobble and jitter.
i still wonder why a lot of people belive in those old wives' tales about quads. this video for example was shot with a quad and not stabilized at all:
masai mara aerial showcase shot with microdrones md4-1000. (2 min 22 sec)
i talked to the guy and he told me that after 15 minutes the battery was half empty. they apparently rarly fly longer than that , but could.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:54 AM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uavhollywood View Post
question: under real conditions how long would you fly an octo with an epic? 2 minutes.....5 if there is no wind....? and even then its on its limit! right?
we are looking for a prof. solution!
Hoverfly can give you a pro solution, contact them.
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:37 AM
Joined Feb 2013
20 Posts
thank you fo the link. so, do you think hoverfly has a better uav than the one microdrones is building now. even with almost zero information about this, the huge microdrone looks promising. i dont think hoverfly can beat 40 minutes of flighttime fully loaded.
i know it probably will be pricey, but then quality has its price.
i just cant settle with 5 minutes of flighttime!
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:01 AM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
How on earth can you make claims when you have zero information?

BTW Jeff Scholl is able to get decent length flights with a red epic under his machines, not sure why you think 3-5 minutes is what people are getting

11.5 minute Red Scarlet flight on our Cinestar 8 Multirotor (11 min 59 sec)
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:34 AM
serial scratchbuilder
Canada, BC, Mission
Joined Sep 2012
1,324 Posts
My imaginary quad will fly for two weeks on a full tank of pixie dreams and unicorn farts, plus it'll carry a camera, cameraman and director.

I call shenanigans.
Granted is offline Find More Posts by Granted
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:33 AM
Joined Dec 2006
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granted View Post
My imaginary quad will fly for two weeks on a full tank of pixie dreams and unicorn farts, plus it'll carry a camera, cameraman and director.

I call shenanigans.
I want one. Can I pre-order?
AlexnderH is offline Find More Posts by AlexnderH
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:37 AM
Australia, Lord Howe Island
Joined Jan 2010
957 Posts
this is hilarious. the Ausi microdrones dealer when I spoke to him last year wanted 60 K ( Yes, 60 thousand dollars ) for something that resembles a quad and lifts a small compact camera. apparently it flies for twice as long as a 1000 dollar unit that produces as good video using say a TPpacks AG600 gimbal and a F550 Hex. I had the choice of

1. 60 K USD for a "drone"

2. F550 and TPpacks and 2 batteries .

where do they get these prices from ???? and how much is the monster going to cost? if it comes with a latvian lady ill pre-order now.
jetbootz is online now Find More Posts by jetbootz