HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:35 PM
Registered User
United States, WI, Hartland
Joined Aug 2012
20 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
Question
Removing the price from ads after sale

Hey there,
I have searched this forum for an answer and not found it. I am new to the hobby and only have a few classifieds purchases under my belt.

I am curious as to why prices are frequently removed from listings after the item(s) are sold. I could imagine it being a courtesy to the buyer, perhaps, but I can't quite figure out how that helps. The way I look at it, when I am pricing items on eBay, the 'completed listings' filter is the most important tool in the box. I feel that removing prices from ads makes it more difficult to determine what the value of used items are.

Is there something I am missing?

Thanks.
osculant is offline Find More Posts by osculant
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:57 PM
Registered User
USA, WV, Parkersburg
Joined Jun 2007
921 Posts
Trader Rating: 67
Nope, I've never understood why people remove the prices, like you said, if I'm selling something I look for other people that sold the same thing and see their prices.

Only reason I see is if you are selling something for more than its worth and might be ashamed of taking someone for their hard earned cash, just my opinion though.
Garrett
Garrett1234567 is offline Find More Posts by Garrett1234567
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:42 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Trader Rating: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by osculant View Post
Hey there,
I have searched this forum for an answer and not found it. I am new to the hobby and only have a few classifieds purchases under my belt.

I am curious as to why prices are frequently removed from listings after the item(s) are sold. I could imagine it being a courtesy to the buyer, perhaps, but I can't quite figure out how that helps. The way I look at it, when I am pricing items on eBay, the 'completed listings' filter is the most important tool in the box. I feel that removing prices from ads makes it more difficult to determine what the value of used items are.

Is there something I am missing?

Thanks.

I think it's a personal preference kinda thing, but I'm not sure why it's done. Like you, I like to see what things are selling for so that gives me a good idea of what the relative value of something is.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett1234567 View Post
Nope, I've never understood why people remove the prices, like you said, if I'm selling something I look for other people that sold the same thing and see their prices.

Only reason I see is if you are selling something for more than its worth and might be ashamed of taking someone for their hard earned cash, just my opinion though.
Garrett

Don't know that any seller should feel shame for setting an asking price and having a buyer agree to it. Hard to see how thats "taking someone" for their money. If both parties got what they want, that seems good no?
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:56 PM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
flyinwalenda's Avatar
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
1,959 Posts
Trader Rating: 32
Some people really feel the black helicopters are following them around on the net so they try and erase the financial aspects of their sales.
flyinwalenda is online now Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:12 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Trader Rating: 128
well, in all fairness, they are out there. Everywhere!
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:35 AM
Lesson Learned = $$ Saved
Wynn1427's Avatar
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2005
744 Posts
Trader Rating: 100
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1620134

- Learn to search google cached pages and if you catch it at the right time you can see the price that is was if its that important.
- Also check out the stuff that hasn't sold, that will give you an idea that the other one probably sold for less.
- Pay attention to the number of views/bumps and the price (lots of views on no bumps is a clear indication that lots of buyers are not interested but seller may be looking for that 1 buyer).

Lots of other things to pay attention to then just a price if you ask me.

And to stop the occasion is this sold PM...not sure to to prevent this one but worth a laugh.



Wynn
Wynn1427 is offline Find More Posts by Wynn1427
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:25 AM
Registered User
WesternFlyer's Avatar
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Mar 2007
214 Posts
Trader Rating: 142
Several of the larger sellers here (larger in number of sales, not personal size) routinely remove the asking price after a sale. One common reason is to remove the item from another potential buyer's interest. This occurs often when multiple items are for sale in the same thread.
WesternFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WesternFlyer
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:59 AM
Registered User
United States, WI, Hartland
Joined Aug 2012
20 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynn1427 View Post
Ah thank you for that. One of the points on that thread was about removing the price so as to delete evidence that tax was not paid on the sale. I suppose that is a quasi-valid point, if one is worried about such prying by the IRS.

The black helicopters seem pretty legit too.
osculant is offline Find More Posts by osculant
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:14 AM
Registered User
rjstrickjr's Avatar
United States, NC, Faison
Joined Jan 2011
683 Posts
Trader Rating: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by osculant View Post
Ah thank you for that. One of the points on that thread was about removing the price so as to delete evidence that tax was not paid on the sale. I suppose that is a quasi-valid point, if one is worried about such prying by the IRS.

The black helicopters seem pretty legit too.
Cash sales of personal items is not concidered a taxable item. If the IRS really wanted to know what you received for something it would be very easy to find out, PAYPAL, CREDIT CARD, e.t.c. Even bank accounts are scrutinized by the IRS if they so desire.

I for one remove the prices and put a respose to the thread as sold! That wards off PM's asking if the itemis still available. Case in point is the free planes I gave away several months ago. I did not indicate in the thread that the planes had been given away and just marked the add closed. I still get PM's asking if they are available...
rjstrickjr is offline Find More Posts by rjstrickjr
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:06 PM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
flyinwalenda's Avatar
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
1,959 Posts
Trader Rating: 32
If you have a tax number it can matter.
flyinwalenda is online now Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:45 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
jcstalls's Avatar
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
3,960 Posts
Trader Rating: 385
Funny. Being one of many numbers and in both ways mentioned, I leave pics and price up. Why not?
I have benefited from those that leave info up to help determine a fare market value and I chose reciprocation. Simple, fair, respective and contributory.

Oh, on the second number; I am much less then I have been in over 5 years. 208lbs down from 285lbs. Often lower numbers have a better value.

As far as Uncle Sams wife, Aunt IRiS, I have no fear as if and when I make a dime I claim it.

Jared
jcstalls is offline Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:57 PM
Flying Wood For Fun
irun4fundotca's Avatar
Canada, ON, Harrowsmith
Joined Jan 2012
6,702 Posts
Trader Rating: 122
i find it just as easy to add strikeout and list sold after the items line
irun4fundotca is offline Find More Posts by irun4fundotca
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:05 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
jgalexander's Avatar
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,941 Posts
Trader Rating: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by irun4fundotca View Post
i find it just as easy to add strikeout and list sold after the items line
Ditto. This is my preferred method. Gets the message across pretty clearly.
J
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:41 PM
Registered User
bigbookfrank's Avatar
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2004
126 Posts
Trader Rating: 61
I saw other peole do it "$old" so I stared doing it ... I frequently do it now when I sell stuff at 10 -15% below what everyone else on here is asking because I don't want to drive prices down. I price stuff to go now usually because I am done with it and want it gone without 25 pm's.
bigbookfrank is offline Find More Posts by bigbookfrank
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:51 PM
Flying Wood For Fun
irun4fundotca's Avatar
Canada, ON, Harrowsmith
Joined Jan 2012
6,702 Posts
Trader Rating: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbookfrank View Post
I saw other peole do it "$old" so I stared doing it ... I frequently do it now when I sell stuff at 10 -15% below what everyone else on here is asking because I don't want to drive prices down. I price stuff to go now usually because I am done with it and want it gone without 25 pm's.
i like your reasoning

might i sugest next time change it to :
"$old4notmuch" lmao
irun4fundotca is offline Find More Posts by irun4fundotca
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Removing OSD menu from KX-6 camera from RV 2MacGyver FPV Talk 2 Jul 06, 2012 02:29 PM
Mini-HowTo Slope Trik Servos Can Be Removed After All KeithWhiter Slope 0 Mar 31, 2012 09:50 AM
Discussion Removing old ads from RC Group unclegeorge Trader Talk 6 Jun 15, 2011 07:01 PM
Complaint One more vote to remove preview pics in ads jjscott Site Suggestions / Complaints 0 Apr 14, 2011 05:21 PM
Castle+Mega deal removed from MEC, Price fixing? KyoshoEP Castle Creations 21 Feb 11, 2004 08:16 PM