HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:49 PM
Joined Jan 2010
126 Posts
Discussion
smoked esc cause board failure?

So after 3 years of no real issues I changed the setup on my big quad. trying to get gps board and main board away from magnetic interference that was being cause by the main esc wires..well as things go for no reason I can see one of my 60a PLUSH escs smoked bigtime.

after replace the board will not control new esc

New esc has been tested to work fine.

so did the main board smoke as well? it looks and smells fine..flashes firmware fine.

thoughts?
obinolson is offline Find More Posts by obinolson
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:39 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2008
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by obinolson View Post
So after 3 years of no real issues I changed the setup on my big quad. trying to get gps board and main board away from magnetic interference that was being cause by the main esc wires..well as things go for no reason I can see one of my 60a PLUSH escs smoked bigtime.

after replace the board will not control new esc

New esc has been tested to work fine.

so did the main board smoke as well? it looks and smells fine..flashes firmware fine.

thoughts?
Will the new esc work on any other board port?
Earl E Adobtr is offline Find More Posts by Earl E Adobtr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Current Folding Quad Project
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:37 AM
Al Ducharme
Orlando, FL
Joined Jan 2005
734 Posts
Thats a good thing to try. Also, I would like to know what port burnt out (Yellow, Green, etc).
photronix is offline Find More Posts by photronix
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:19 AM
Joined Jan 2010
126 Posts
Board readings go nuts in setup client when main power is connected to proboard as well.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:39 AM
Joined Jan 2010
126 Posts
all front x8 motors do not fire and one back right bottom does not fire now

front top right esc smoked
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:44 AM
Joined Jan 2010
126 Posts
purple orange yellw pink no longer power up..the esc just beep as if they are not getting a signal.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Jan 2010
126 Posts
funny...brand new board acts the same...put all RED esc wires back connected to the board and it all works now.

I guess old board was probably fine as well.

still can't get compass calibrated though..trying everything. anyone have any problems w this? I have never one time had it working well. just removed all the metal from around the board....what is the basic distance that metal nuts or screws etc MUST be in order to not pull magnetic heading off?
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:40 AM
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Aug 2011
377 Posts
If it works (now) with all the red escs connected you probably have one or two bad becs in the escs. You should only have one esc red wire connected. If you have more than one the regulators are actually working against each other. You could have a reset in mid air. Not good. I would connect only one red wire, one at a time and find out which esc(s) have bad becs. Then use one of the good ones. As for the mag. Ideally you want all ferrous metal off your bird. I replaced all fasteners with aluminum and noticed a huge difference. Also make sure the battery lines to your escs are parallel (and touching one another) or twisted. The further from the mag you can get these the better.
JZSlenker is offline Find More Posts by JZSlenker