SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:26 AM
Registered User
Australia, QLD, Townsville
Joined Jul 2011
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
I bought the airframe with Servos for this very reason. Eflite stuff has given me a lot of problems in the past though....you don't always get what you pay for with that stuff....

Hobbypartz has been bulletproof for me! I have had a motor rated at 400watts produce over 1000watts of power without over heating....It was an Exceed Monster Power 10 1100kv motor and cost me less than $15.... Had an Eflite Power 25 burn up at its rated power....That one cost over $50.... And same with those Eflite 30amp esc's....no cooling fins and a price that is more than double that of an Exceed 30amp with better BEC, cooling and cost under $15.... I have 3 year old Exceed's and the Eflites are all dead and gone.... Need I say more?
Yeah , Just having a sook. I've had stuff off eflite that has not been up to scratch. And hobbyking is just the hobby shop. I still have the dynam spitfire, hellcat , dynamic s glider and will always have a radjet in the shed. A lot of the stuff is so cheap, you know it's going to be crap, but for the price ,it's worth a play with.
medroller is offline Find More Posts by medroller
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:30 AM
Registered User
Australia, QLD, Townsville
Joined Jul 2011
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
If the air frame is intact I might be interested in buying it for spares. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Mick
I never crashed the plane. So it's in A1 condition. I have a ntm 220kv doing nothing, so might throw that in and see how she goes. And by the time you added postage, probably be close to the price of a new one.
medroller is offline Find More Posts by medroller
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:40 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
solentlife's Avatar
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by medroller View Post
Went for a fly today and one of the motor magnets came loose and moved rearward ,thus slicing the wires at the point of going into the motor. I know you can glue them back in, but I just might put this plane in the tub with all the other HK planes that expire after a couple of flights.

Eflite, I'm coming back home.
Forgive me for saying this ... but I find that really sad .... so HK is not the Rolls Royce of Model dealers ... but they seem tio be doing quite well at what they do - supplying the budget to mid range gear.

If HK gear is not up to scratch - why keep buying it .. I get impression that your bin is full of HK gear ? Why ? if you think their gear is useless ?

I have from HK - 64mm T45, 50mm T45, 2 x Parkjets, Cessna 182 deluxe, Edge 540 Racer ... as full models and loads of HK motors, ESC's etc. - and none so far after a number of years has had to go tto the 'bin' ........... They have not been worse or any significant difference to other gear from other suppliers I've used.
Let's be honest - very little of what they sell is actually THEIR's ... vast majority is either re-branded or just sold by model name ...
My Cessna is Skyartec, T45 is Lanyu, other T45 is Jpowers etc. etc.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:20 AM
Registered User
Australia, QLD, Townsville
Joined Jul 2011
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Forgive me for saying this ... but I find that really sad .... so HK is not the Rolls Royce of Model dealers ... but they seem tio be doing quite well at what they do - supplying the budget to mid range gear.

If HK gear is not up to scratch - why keep buying it .. I get impression that your bin is full of HK gear ? Why ? if you think their gear is useless ?

I have from HK - 64mm T45, 50mm T45, 2 x Parkjets, Cessna 182 deluxe, Edge 540 Racer ... as full models and loads of HK motors, ESC's etc. - and none so far after a number of years has had to go tto the 'bin' ........... They have not been worse or any significant difference to other gear from other suppliers I've used.
Let's be honest - very little of what they sell is actually THEIR's ... vast majority is either re-branded or just sold by model name ...
My Cessna is Skyartec, T45 is Lanyu, other T45 is Jpowers etc. etc.

Nigel
If you had read my 2nd last post. I said the same as you are saying. Hobbyking is a hobbyshop and i have had and still have some great stuff from them. " My bin" was just a term I used, which I throw all my spare stuff from crashes. Be it dynam, parkzone, durafly, eflite etc.
Like I have said to a lot of people " Hobbyking have put the fun back in to rc". There are a lot of folk out there who take playing with toy planes to seriosly.Cheers
medroller is offline Find More Posts by medroller
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:53 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
solentlife's Avatar
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by medroller View Post
If you had read my 2nd last post. I said the same as you are saying. Hobbyking is a hobbyshop and i have had and still have some great stuff from them. " My bin" was just a term I used, which I throw all my spare stuff from crashes. Be it dynam, parkzone, durafly, eflite etc.
Like I have said to a lot of people " Hobbyking have put the fun back in to rc". There are a lot of folk out there who take playing with toy planes to seriosly.Cheers
No problem ... lets look fwd to a great 2013 and lots of flying !

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:00 PM
Registered User
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by medroller View Post
I never crashed the plane. So it's in A1 condition. I have a ntm 220kv doing nothing, so might throw that in and see how she goes. And by the time you added postage, probably be close to the price of a new one.
Mine has always had a rough bearing sound in the outrunner since new. I really should change it out before it burns me, but I think you will warm to this little Edge550, once its all dialed in. My only complaint is the size is a little small for my taste. I've just ordered Hobbyking's Sbach 1400mm EPO to try and scale things up a bit.

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:54 PM
Registered User
gooniac33's Avatar
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,025 Posts
Finally get to fly again tomorrow. Weather was a little weird today and I was spending time with Mini-Z's and my kiddos... Tomorrow the flying begins early in the AM!! Can't wait to get used to this little thing!
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:03 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
solentlife's Avatar
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
.......Edge550,.....Mick
Hu Hum .... 540 ......

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:19 AM
Registered User
3d astronaut's Avatar
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,104 Posts
so whats the verdict on this thing? Overall top speed out of the box? I saw a few posts claiming 120mph. Anyone around this mark? Hows it compare to the sbach?
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:07 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
solentlife's Avatar
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d astronaut View Post
so whats the verdict on this thing? Overall top speed out of the box? I saw a few posts claiming 120mph. Anyone around this mark? Hows it compare to the sbach?
I'd like to see proof of the 120mph ... 120kph is more like it. Mine stock with 4S in has clocked just under 125kph. What it lacks in speed - it certainly makes up for in agility. This model carves up the air like it's going out of fashion. Beware of stall manouevres too close to ground. She needs serious work to get out of a spin.... power and DOWN ... zoom out of it !

So far as I have experienced with this model :

a) Build as HK designed. Put 4S 1600 - 1800 in her - I push mine fwd as far as she'll go. Or a 2200 3S is similar weight and flies superb on it.
b) No modifications or changes to stock ..
c) Set full aileron / elevator to +/- 8mm ... with DR set at +/-5mm and give plenty of Expo ... 50 - 60% is what I have.
d) Make sure Elevators are measured straight with CHORD of stabs - they have aerofoil section and are NOT symetrical .. this leads the eye to set a touch UP. So do it with a straight edge carefully - absolutely level with stab chord. If you don't - you may have what I had ... a model that just wants to climb all time ...and trim is insufficient to stop it ...

Would I buy it now I have flown it - YES.

Do I enjoy the model - YES ... but landings are a bit iffy ... you have to grease her in ... none of this float on down !

It's faster than average sport model - but is no pylon racer.

It's more agile than average sport model, but has a vice that she will bite if stalled or spun.

My post is my findings and others may differ ... but that's life !!

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:58 PM
Registered User
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I'd like to see proof of the 120mph ... 120kph is more like it. Mine stock with 4S in has clocked just under 125kph. What it lacks in speed - it certainly makes up for in agility. This model carves up the air like it's going out of fashion. Beware of stall manouevres too close to ground. She needs serious work to get out of a spin.... power and DOWN ... zoom out of it !

So far as I have experienced with this model :

a) Build as HK designed. Put 4S 1600 - 1800 in her - I push mine fwd as far as she'll go. Or a 2200 3S is similar weight and flies superb on it.
b) No modifications or changes to stock ..
c) Set full aileron / elevator to +/- 8mm ... with DR set at +/-5mm and give plenty of Expo ... 50 - 60% is what I have.
d) Make sure Elevators are measured straight with CHORD of stabs - they have aerofoil section and are NOT symetrical .. this leads the eye to set a touch UP. So do it with a straight edge carefully - absolutely level with stab chord. If you don't - you may have what I had ... a model that just wants to climb all time ...and trim is insufficient to stop it ...

Would I buy it now I have flown it - YES.

Do I enjoy the model - YES ... but landings are a bit iffy ... you have to grease her in ... none of this float on down !

It's faster than average sport model - but is no pylon racer.

It's more agile than average sport model, but has a vice that she will bite if stalled or spun.

My post is my findings and others may differ ... but that's life !!

Nigel
Thats a pretty fair review Nigel. The only other thing worth mentioning is-

* CG should be set at around 32mm from LE for maiden. Then moved back to where your happy with it. My CG has slowly been creeping back due to the alloy engine mount, and the glue and tape from one major crash repair.

* The engine mount is very weak(by design we are told). I replaced mine with alloy. If your not into fabricating parts I would order some spare mounts.

Over all I like the aircraft. When your flying it you need to be on your game, as its as unforgiving with mistakes as flying CP helicopters. Its exiting to fly, like CP helicopters as well. Not a beginners aircraft, thats for sure.

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:18 PM
Registered User
3d astronaut's Avatar
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I'd like to see proof of the 120mph ... 120kph is more like it. Mine stock with 4S in has clocked just under 125kph. What it lacks in speed - it certainly makes up for in agility. This model carves up the air like it's going out of fashion. Beware of stall manouevres too close to ground. She needs serious work to get out of a spin.... power and DOWN ... zoom out of it !

So far as I have experienced with this model :

a) Build as HK designed. Put 4S 1600 - 1800 in her - I push mine fwd as far as she'll go. Or a 2200 3S is similar weight and flies superb on it.
b) No modifications or changes to stock ..
c) Set full aileron / elevator to +/- 8mm ... with DR set at +/-5mm and give plenty of Expo ... 50 - 60% is what I have.
d) Make sure Elevators are measured straight with CHORD of stabs - they have aerofoil section and are NOT symetrical .. this leads the eye to set a touch UP. So do it with a straight edge carefully - absolutely level with stab chord. If you don't - you may have what I had ... a model that just wants to climb all time ...and trim is insufficient to stop it ...

Would I buy it now I have flown it - YES.

Do I enjoy the model - YES ... but landings are a bit iffy ... you have to grease her in ... none of this float on down !

It's faster than average sport model - but is no pylon racer.

It's more agile than average sport model, but has a vice that she will bite if stalled or spun.

My post is my findings and others may differ ... but that's life !!

Nigel
Wow. Thank you so much for taking the time to type all of that out, I really appreciate it I think I am going to have to order one of these for the days I leave my pogo at home!
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:54 PM
Registered User
gooniac33's Avatar
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,025 Posts
I am thinking that my set up is well over 100mph but nothing to prove that yet. 1950kv motor on 4s 30c 1800mah packs make is whistle and groove along really nicely!

However I had a minor mishap today. On the last battery pack of the day I bumped the rudder on take off on a really narrow path that I use and it nosed over in the grass braking the plastic motor mount. The gear popped off cleanly with no damage to any thing other than my pride and the flimsy mount. Going to fabricate something out of wood or use stand offs with the X brace mount. Either way I am gonna get it back in the air soon.... Love the way this plane flies!! Just what I wanted!
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:12 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
solentlife's Avatar
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
I am thinking that my set up is well over 100mph but nothing to prove that yet. 1950kv motor on 4s 30c 1800mah packs make is whistle and groove along really nicely!

However I had a minor mishap today. On the last battery pack of the day I bumped the rudder on take off on a really narrow path that I use and it nosed over in the grass braking the plastic motor mount. The gear popped off cleanly with no damage to any thing other than my pride and the flimsy mount. Going to fabricate something out of wood or use stand offs with the X brace mount. Either way I am gonna get it back in the air soon.... Love the way this plane flies!! Just what I wanted!
You could be right about speed ... with a decent 1950kv, 4S and a good prop ... why not ? Possibly more than 100mph. But what run-time do you get ? I would hazard a guess that is quite short ?... 3 - 4mins ?

I broke the plastic mount on first maiden ... it really is flimsy. It's the legs break of usually.
When I looked to replace with a better mount - there is a definite problem.

The cowl top is so close to the mount - you cannot use a X mount or anything over-counter ... Plus the firewall has cut-outs that are large and would need bridging to fit any standard mount - you could get inside cowl !

My way finally was to cut a ply disc and fit that with spacers to give thrust lines ...



I am still trying to find a more asthetic solution !! But it works.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:16 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
solentlife's Avatar
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
Thats a pretty fair review Nigel. The only other thing worth mentioning is-

* CG should be set at around 32mm from LE for maiden. Then moved back to where your happy with it. My CG has slowly been creeping back due to the alloy engine mount, and the glue and tape from one major crash repair.

* The engine mount is very weak(by design we are told). I replaced mine with alloy. If your not into fabricating parts I would order some spare mounts.

Over all I like the aircraft. When your flying it you need to be on your game, as its as unforgiving with mistakes as flying CP helicopters. Its exiting to fly, like CP helicopters as well. Not a beginners aircraft, thats for sure.

Mick
As I say ... Scott at start of this thread kept saying ... 4S 1800 at front of slot. OK - he wouldn't pin down his CoG which we all waited to hear !! But he was adamant about this. He test flew the model before release on sale ... so I went with what he said ... and he was right...

So a stock model with 4S 1800 pack in designed battery slot is the answer. The Rx placement si limited - so that will not upset the equation.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Last edited by solentlife; Jan 01, 2013 at 02:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Hobby King High Performance Racer Series - 800mm nniibb 3D Foamies 6 Nov 11, 2012 01:46 PM
New Product HobbyKing - Mini Racers Edge 540 V3 & Sbach Mikemynameis Parkflyers 13 Jun 24, 2012 10:55 PM
Sold (NIB) Durafly Edge 540 V3 Micro 3D 490mm (PNF) luvmykids2 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 7 Mar 20, 2012 01:37 PM
Sold Greatplanes Edge 540 EP performance series Rx-Ready lpu Chopper1 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Nov 11, 2011 12:32 AM
New Product HobbyKing Mini Racers Edge 540 V3 & Sbach... micromantis Foamies (Kits) 6 Oct 31, 2011 02:25 PM