SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 07, 2012, 11:24 PM
Joined Dec 2010
93 Posts
Discussion
Jury rig a servo to test//need help ASAP

is there any way to test a servo without all the other gear?

Like straight to a battery just to check the throw, etc.
winggunner46 is offline Find More Posts by winggunner46
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2012, 11:42 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
Short answer is yes, the question is whether or not it will do permanent damage. If that can not be answered then it would be best to just wait until you have the other gear, you could also take it to your local hobby shop, most likely they can and will hook it up to make sure it operates for you. I've not been in a hobby store yet that would charge for something like that either.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old May 08, 2012, 12:30 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,410 Posts
You cannot run a servo just by hooking it up to a battery. You need a PWM signal to control it.

A cheap servo tester will do the job. You can get them straight from China on eBay for like $3. It'll generate the PWM signal you need to run the servo... But coming from China, it might take more time than you have.

What are you trying to do? There might be another way of accomplishing it if you can tell us what the problem is.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old May 08, 2012, 02:50 AM
Joined Dec 2010
93 Posts
Learner/nug

The one I am worried about controls the rudder and nose steering. by hand turning the arm it seems the servo will turn 180 degrees. Just basic lack of knowledge in the early morning hours.
winggunner46 is offline Find More Posts by winggunner46
Old May 08, 2012, 03:33 AM
Joined Feb 2012
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
Short answer is yes, the question is whether or not it will do permanent damage. If that can not be answered then it would be best to just wait until you have the other gear, you could also take it to your local hobby shop, most likely they can and will hook it up to make sure it operates for you. I've not been in a hobby store yet that would charge for something like that either.
Not sure how you think he can test a servo by connecting it to a battery exactly... You need at least a servo tester. I have this one, it is cheap, and works great: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8296
NFA Fabrication is offline Find More Posts by NFA Fabrication
Old May 08, 2012, 08:04 AM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,377 Posts
And DO NOT turn a servo by hand!!! You can easily strip out the gears inside it by doing so.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old May 08, 2012, 09:52 AM
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFA Fabrication View Post
Not sure how you think he can test a servo by connecting it to a battery exactly... You need at least a servo tester. I have this one, it is cheap, and works great: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8296
Also mentioned taking it to his lhs for testing, 1 month delivery vs a car ride. And yes you can test a servo using batteries, I've always done it that way with analogs.

This is what I've used,
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2012, 10:19 AM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winggunner46 View Post
The one I am worried about controls the rudder and nose steering. by hand turning the arm it seems the servo will turn 180 degrees. Just basic lack of knowledge in the early morning hours.
That is normal. All servos are able to turn much farther mechanically than the electrical input will command them. Even though the servo is capable of turning almost 180 degrees, the electrical control input will typically turn it only about 38 degrees in each direction.

And yes, it is not a good idea to turn a servo by hand. Doing so can easily strip the gears.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old May 08, 2012, 10:20 AM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
And yes you can test a servo using batteries, I've always done it that way with analogs.

This is what I've used,
That is one strange looking battery.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old May 08, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
Not just a battery, but much much safer.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2012, 05:11 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,410 Posts
Let's toss caution to the wind for a moment. Show us how you can test a servo by connecting it straight to a battery
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old May 09, 2012, 12:39 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFA Fabrication View Post
+1, I have one and it works great.

Dale Kramer, who designed the Lazair ultralight in the Smithsonian, agrees and uses it for the motor control of his Electric Lazair!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=79
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old May 09, 2012, 12:49 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winggunner46 View Post
is there any way to test a servo without all the other gear?

Like straight to a battery just to check the throw, etc.
Yes and the easiest way is to have a Servo Tester and a battery holder with 4 NiMH rechargeables in .... or an old LiPo you don't use for flying and an ESC / BEC ...

Servo Tester (Hobby Kings - I use this and it's very good) :

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...vo_Tester.html

and a simple battery holder + 4 supermarket NiMH batts in, from local shop with a lead from a dead servo.

The other possibility is where i bought an RTF model and later replaced the radio gear. That now sits on my bench as a testing set-up. Just because you don't want to fly with it doesn't mean it's no use ....
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife