HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2011, 03:28 AM
Joined Nov 2011
4 Posts
Question
Servo motor for Rudders and Hydroplanes

Hello to All,
I have joined the forum recently.
Actually I am building a UAV for my University project and stuck with rudder movement. I have question plz help me in calculations.
I want to choose a servo motor for control of rudders and hydroplanes. But i am unable to find the torque required to move the rudders to 15Degree in 1second. plz help me to find the torque so I can select the suitable servo motor.
urgent help plz.
ishaqahmed is offline Find More Posts by ishaqahmed
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:48 PM
Metallica
Londonderry UK
Joined Nov 2004
415 Posts
Hi,
you haven't stated the size of the control surfaces you wish to control so it would be hard to say what size of servo you would need, but at a guess any standard size high torque servo would do. Might be worth asking in the submarine section as they would have more users, this rov section is very slow.

Good luck
robe_uk is offline Find More Posts by robe_uk
Old Nov 26, 2011, 01:50 PM
Joined Nov 2011
4 Posts
Thanks Rob for your reply.
Actually I want to find the torque offered by the rudders or Hydroplanes at certain deflection angle to select the servo motor.
Is there any formula for that?
ishaqahmed is offline Find More Posts by ishaqahmed
Old Dec 11, 2011, 02:06 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,277 Posts
Calculate the total force for the of the water at your maximum speed against the square inches of your rudder. Apply that force vector at the end of a lever equal to the length of your rudder behind the point of rotation. Calculate for torque....

http://physics.bu.edu/~duffy/py105/Torque.html

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki