SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 18, 2010, 12:07 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
768 Posts
Broke some glue out-

Sometimes you can only stare at something so long before you either need to get the saw or the glue out and make something happen. Last night I was at the point where it was time to do something, anything. I finally decided to break the glue out and see what happens. I had already glued the ribs in and have been fighting with the chines. Like everything else on the 1:1 boat, the chines actually have a complex curve while slightly rotating. I originally was looking at using 1/4" balsa for this, but I couldn't get it to bend and twist sharp enough even after soaking and steaming. Made a trip to the hobby shop and found some 1/8" x 1/4" spruce that bent really easy. Will just need to glue 2 of them together for the 1/4" x 1/4" total I need. Although I have only glued from the bow to the 3rd rib, so far so good.

Bob
xx29l9 is offline Find More Posts by xx29l9
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2010, 12:22 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,298 Posts
How do they do it fullsize? Some sort of huge bending/twisting/steaming machine??
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old May 18, 2010, 01:22 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
How do they do it fullsize? Some sort of huge bending/twisting/steaming machine??
I would guess a big press/forms with maybe some steam? Or maybe laminate the wood while in forms?

bob
Old May 18, 2010, 02:00 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2006
1,261 Posts
I love this build so far. Your Delta is awsome!! Try to remember, Malibu Ski boats are designed in a computer and then shaped out of foam. A robot forms the foam for the hull plug. You may have to sculpt with body filler to get what you want. I usually build the hull to the basic shape and then start adding the filler for shaping.
Tollytime is offline Find More Posts by Tollytime
Last edited by Tollytime; May 18, 2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old May 19, 2010, 12:45 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollytime View Post
I love this build so far. Your Delta is awsome!! Try to remember, Malibu Ski boats are designed in a computer and then shaped out of foam. A robot forms the foam for the hull plug. You may have to sculpt with body filler to get what you want. I usually build the hull to the basic shape and then start adding the filler for shaping.
Hi Tollytime-
Doh, good point about the foam mold. Forgot all about that. I spent a lot of time on the ribs trying to make them as close as possible to the correct shape. So far they look pretty good, we'll see how much filler I need to end up using.

Thanks for the comment on the Delta charter boat. It has turned out nice, still not done yet. I have new motors and dual speed controls to upgrade, plus a new 2.4Ghz 6 channel radio I'm modding for it, and the list goes on...

bob
Old May 19, 2010, 12:22 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
768 Posts
More glue

Took some clamps, tape and good old fashion finger strength, but the chines are now glued on. I'm happy with the lines. Wife even recognized it as a boat hull. Now that is progress!

Bob
Old May 19, 2010, 11:21 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2006
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xx29l9 View Post
Took some clamps, tape and good old fashion finger strength, but the chines are now glued on. I'm happy with the lines. Wife even recognized it as a boat hull. Now that is progress!

Bob
Yep!! That's a Malibu ski boat so far.
Tollytime is offline Find More Posts by Tollytime
Old May 26, 2010, 12:32 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
768 Posts
Shaping the bow-

Last night I busted out a block of balsa wood and began to make 2 pieces that will become the lower half of the bow. First one I was making was coming along nicely until I got a little too aggressive with the band saw. Made a note to self and the second one is in much better shape. Still lots of sanding and shaping to go, but it is coming along.

Bob
Old May 26, 2010, 01:26 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,298 Posts
Nice job of whitlin'
Old May 27, 2010, 11:44 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
768 Posts
Sawdust was flying-

Started to shape another balsa block into what will be the lower bow piece for the port side. Like Tom said, lot's of whitlin going on here. The 2 sides still need to be rough shaped a little more and then I will glue them into place before final shaping.

bob
Old Jun 07, 2010, 01:17 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
768 Posts
A little more work on both the pointy end and the flat end

Some more progress. Glued the two lower halves of the bow in and continued to shape them. Almost there now. Also glued in some extra pieces in the stern to aid in shaping the wood when I bend it and to give more meat to the sanding I will be doing back there.

bob
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:46 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
768 Posts
Hull shape and stuffing tube-

Looking ahead to when I will put some cut sheets of 1/16" plywood on the bottom of the hull, I noticed when I was doing some trial fits the the wood can not bend sharp enough in places to follow the hull contours. The 1:1 hull has some very defined and sharp lines on the bottom, so in order to duplicate these on the model I will add a piece of plywood to the middle of the keel and then more pieces connected off of that one for the bottom of the hull. These are the issues I enjoy trying to find solutions to on a scratch build. Only directions are the ones rattling around in my head.

Also began to build the stuffing box. Slipped a brass tube through the slot in the hull and made a mark that was then used on the bench grinder to rough shape the tube. Since the stuffing box will be pretty short due to a lack of room between the bottom of the bilge and deck floor, I planned on using two pieces of brass tubing one inside of the other with the last one having 2 oilite bearings soldered in for the 3/16" shaft.

bob
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:55 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
768 Posts
More work on the stern.

Started to build more of the stern details. There is a recessed area on the 1:1 boat that has the dual exhaust and mount for the wedge in it. Also cut the stuffing box to the correct length, it's a little shorter than I would like, but there is just not room for a longer tube in this model. It'll work.

FYI- The wedge on the stern of the boat? In case your not familiar with this type of boat, it is designed for wakeboarding and wake surfing. The boat has 4 seperate ballast tanks (1 in the bow, 1 midships, 2 in the stern) that can be filled/drained by pumps to lower the boat in the water to change the wake shape. All 4 tanks add up to about 1900 lbs. of ballast. If you want an even bigger wake, you can reach through an access door on the swim platform and lower the wedge down. The wedge will provide another 1200 lbs. of downforce. Yes, it can make a huge wake. No, I am not good enough to use it. My 2 boys like it though...

The newer Malibu models have a hydraulic wedge controlled from the dash.

bob
Old Jun 18, 2010, 12:31 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
768 Posts
More work on hull-

Middle chines were glued in. Looks good and straight. Next up will be starting to fill in those big gaps in the bottom of the hull.

bob
Old Jun 19, 2010, 01:04 AM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,298 Posts
Really starting to look like you have a boat now!