HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:29 PM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
1,009 Posts
When I use the usb charger the red light comes on as soon as I plug the heli in. I confirmed that the switch was in the off position. If I put the switch in the on position the usb light goes out as it should according to the directions when it is charging. I believe it is reversed from the directions and charging when the usb light is on and the heli is in the off position.

In addition to this my transmitter power light is red (not the green that is indicated in the manual) and when I charge the heli using the transmitter it blinks alternately between green and red. (not the red that is indicated in the manual).
flydown is offline Find More Posts by flydown
Last edited by flydown; Nov 15, 2012 at 08:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Aug 2012
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Iplumb, I have bought from both of these sellers, and they are on my approved list. Now, I'm totally surprised that the red one doesn't have throttle return.

S107 does come in two different packaging. If foam is used, the box will be slightly longer. The other one uses thin, clear plastic molding. That's fine. It is not indicative that one is real or the other is fake. We have to look deeper than that. But like I said, I trust both of these sellers.

Unless the blue one is a gift for someone else. You should open it. Temporarily label everything: Remote controls, USB cables, and make sure you don't mix them up. The first thing you should try, unless you have expert eyes, is to use one remote to control the other helicopter. In other words, open up blue, and try to use your control for red to fly the blue one. Or, use the blue control to fly the red one. Best case scenario, and I would place my bet there - You would be able to fly them.

Here's the reason, if they are both real. You would be able to do the above. If one of them is fake, you won't be.

The next thing you want to check is this: Look into the PCB. Hopefully they are RED, or a mix of yellow and green color. Look for the label S107R5. You should see them.

Check these and report back. I'll take you to the next step.
Yep they both say S107R5 on the PCB. I don't want to completely remove the blue one yet because its a gift for my son. I'm shure they are both real from what I've learned from you. Just was surprised with the throttle control on the red one.Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353033447.891653.jpg
Views: 73
Size: 118.7 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353033473.468467.jpg
Views: 81
Size: 102.0 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353033485.632672.jpg
Views: 72
Size: 129.1 KB
Description: I appreciate your help!
Iplumb is offline Find More Posts by Iplumb
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:05 PM
Joined Mar 2011
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydown View Post
When I use the usb charger the red light comes on as soon as I plug the heli in. I confirmed that the switch was in the off position. If I put the switch in the on position the usb light goes out as it should according to the directions when it is charging. I believe it is reversed from the directions and charging when the usb light is on and the heli is in the off position.

In addition to this my transmitter power light is red (not the green that is indicated in the manual) and when I charge the heli using the transmitter it blinks alternately between green and red. (not the red that is indicated in the manual).
I think you have a clone.send it back as soon as you can.
SAF_Dogface is offline Find More Posts by SAF_Dogface
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:20 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAF_Dogface View Post
I think you have a clone.send it back as soon as you can.
Once I got past the frustration of a couple things being the opposite of what the directions said I decided to keep it since it looks good and seems to fly well. I bought it on e-bay for a total of $22 which included shipping so it would not be worth the trouble of sending it back. If it is a clone I would not know the difference since I never owned the original.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:27 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iplumb View Post
Yep they both say S107R5 on the PCB. I don't want to completely remove the blue one yet because its a gift for my son. I'm shure they are both real from what I've learned from you. Just was surprised with the throttle control on the red one. I appreciate your help!
I bet and I won! What did I win?

Okay, you have two genuine S107, different era, different packages, but both S107R5.

You would notice that there are more differences between the two than just the colors. The graphics on the canopy, rotors, and fin are different. I call the red one the Classic S107. That's the original design. The blue one is a 2012 release. The mechanics are the same, but the graphics are different.

Completely understood that you don't want to take it out, because it is a gift. But at least, you have some peace of mind.

If you're happy with the fact that the red one does not have the throttle return, let's just leave it right there. Otherwise, you could open up the Tx to see what's going on. There are 6 screws holding the Tx together. 5 are in plain view. The 6th one is behind the sliding door which hides the recharge plug. Plenty of YouTube video to show you the Spring Mod.

Is it true then, the Blue one has throttle return? That's strange for the Red one. Don't worry about it. Go fly, and get ready to take your son through flying school. Have fun and enjoy.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:36 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,496 Posts
Quote:
Once I got past the frustration of a couple things being the opposite of what the directions said I decided to keep it since it looks good and seems to fly well. I bought it on e-bay for a total of $22 which included shipping so it would not be worth the trouble of sending it back. If it is a clone I would not know the difference since I never owned the original.
From my previous encountering with these things, it does sound like a clone. One quick thing you could check is what I have suggested iPlumb. See if you could find the label S107R5 on the PCB board. That authenticates the S107.

What you said was mostly true. Some clones fly as well, if not sometimes better than the original S107! It's not an issue of how much enjoyment you get out of it. It is an issue of maintenance. There is enough differences and nuances that makes sourcing replacement parts difficult and sometimes impossible. That's why I try to educate buyers to stay away from clones.

But if returning is not an option, just enjoy it, and be aware of the differences so that when it comes to maintenance, you don't set your helicopter on fire. That's all.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:52 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,009 Posts
Considering the price of this Heli my idea of maintenance would be another one
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:06 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,496 Posts
Quote:
Considering the price of this Heli my idea of maintenance would be another one
There you go. I like the way you think.

But, don't buy from the same seller again. And if your next one is a real one, do not get it mixed up with old devices. For instance, do not charge a real S107 with the USB cable from the clone one. Label them and set them apart.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:22 AM
Night flier
United Kingdom, England, Bromyard
Joined Mar 2008
831 Posts
Quote:
"Turning it on" means trying to fly it? Did it fly? Or wouldn't lift off?

First question to ask yourself is: Is it spinning clockwise, or counter-clockwise?

Why is that important? Read my blog about "My SYMA S107 has no lift..."
hi bud yeah it flies but spins round and round but i adjust the gyro and it stops spinning but soon as i touch the tail stick it spins and heads for the ground quick lol. Unsure why. day b4 it was fine the following morning its playing up. gutted like that heli and was goin to FPV it....
austin.laws is offline Find More Posts by austin.laws
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:41 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,496 Posts
Sorry, mate. I don't understand what you meant by "adjusting the gyro", because the gyro could not be adjusted on a S107 as far as I know.

But anyway, you 2nd description is suggesting that one or both pivot pins might have been damage. Check my blog for that Pivot Pin article and check if the pins are intact.

Otherwise, I'm a bit at a loss. Show me a video and help me help you.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:58 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
Does "adjusting the gyro" mean adjusting the trim pot on the transmitter?
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,496 Posts
That's most likely what happened. So, his S107 is out of trim...

"As soon as I touch the tail stick..." I'm reading elevator, "it spins and heads for the ground quick." Sounds to my the pivot pin(s) is/are broken, and the head went off the plane...

What do you think, Robo?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:45 PM
Night flier
United Kingdom, England, Bromyard
Joined Mar 2008
831 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, mate. I don't understand what you meant by "adjusting the gyro", because the gyro could not be adjusted on a S107 as far as I know.

But anyway, you 2nd description is suggesting that one or both pivot pins might have been damage. Check my blog for that Pivot Pin article and check if the pins are intact.

Otherwise, I'm a bit at a loss. Show me a video and help me help you.
Soz ur right prob a video would make more sense. Upload one 2moro.
austin.laws is offline Find More Posts by austin.laws
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:45 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
Hard to say, Helipad. What would Sherlock Holmes say?

When we see the video, it should help a lot.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:59 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,496 Posts
Elementary?