HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2015, 01:19 AM
Carthage must be destroyed!!
United States, IL, Mokena
Joined Oct 2011
338 Posts
Question
ExtremeFlight Eclectric to Glow Conversion - Ideas? Advice?

Hello,
Last weekend at the field was a special one for me. It was the first time a flew a Nitro airplane!! After four years you'd think that would not be the case, but sadly it is mainly because I cannot drive (underage) so most of my flying is done at a park, electric only.
Now that I am fairly close to getting my Driver's license, I have decided to begin considering a Glow plane for 3D. I really like the smaller ExtremeFlights (>60") and they are in my rice range, but I do not want to go electric. So, I am considering converting an electric EF to a glow model. I am looking for recommendations, advice, and whether or not this would even be a feasible endeavor,
I understand that I will be stretching and fuel-proofing the firewall, as well as sealing the radio bay from glow. Can anyone provide some insight as to what else needs strengthening? I am not above stripping a planes covering and redoing it if need be.

I appreciate any advice whether it be positive or negative. Thank you in advance.

-Nix
Nixus is offline Find More Posts by Nixus
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2015, 04:00 AM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,815 Posts
I am sure it is possible!

and not sure how much you have your heart set on the extremeflite! but there are several models in that size range, that will take either!

here's a taste, of a gasser in your size range! https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=VQGxoaY6_oc

P.s. if your going ta get into 3D, you might as well go gas now!!!!!
whiskykid is online now Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mig 29/Su37 super flanker
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:48 AM
Joined Oct 2011
338 Posts
Hey Whisky, I appreciate your response.
I plan on staying away from AeroWorks, mainly because I've read that 3DHS and EF are much more capable airframes. I'm sure that AW's are great, I just am after something very aerobatic.

Would you recommend Gas over Nitro for 3D? I do not plan on going above 20cc due to the price after that.

Thanks!!
Old Mar 21, 2015, 08:25 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,815 Posts
can't find it right off hand, but someone took a 71" electric SLICK, and cut back the firewall, and mounted a 30cc engine on it, that is why I say it can be done!

I put a ASP30fs on an EFLITE Extra 260 480! that lil plane is a blast, probably not much different then a buck huck, at 43"! just cut back the firewall and reinforced it!

the issue I think your gonna find with 3DHS and EF is those guys are addiment about "ELECTRIC" everything else is bad JUJU!

with a lil work, I would put a 20cc on any airframe with a 60"ws are around 750 SQ inch's of wing!

some will argue about the difference at this scale, with gas being the up and comer, most will tell ya go with a large four stroker glow! so it comes down too how much you want too spend too fly, penny's a flight on gas, or (getting harder too find) more expensive glow!

if this is the bad boy your looking at, I would think it would absolutely ROCK with a 20cc DLE or engine of your choice!
http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/60Edge.html
whiskykid is online now Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mig 29/Su37 super flanker
Old Mar 22, 2015, 06:38 PM
Joined Oct 2011
338 Posts
Thanks Whisky, I appreciate your advice.
I think that I may just bit the bullet and put a DLE 30CC on the EF 70" Extra.
Thank you for your advice!!