Old Jul 06, 2015, 09:09 AM
Find More Posts by elbone65
Gonads, Son! Big brass ones!
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined May 2005
102 Posts
Question
Mystique RES - Pure Sailplane

Anybody flying the Mystique RES as a pure sailplane? I decided a while back to leave the motors at home.
I am looking for any tips, etc. Thanks
elbone65 is offline Find More Posts by elbone65
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2015, 10:08 AM
Find More Posts by jswain
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,279 Posts
suggestion

Consider reinforcing the battery tray hold down structure with some extra material and glue joints when using this model on a winch or high start. If using the 3~4s lipo battery, it weighs a lot more than a typical thermal glider (i.e. 2000mah AA cell type) thus has a lot of momentum to be restrained inside the fuselage on launch. Other than that it flys well and is an enjoyable arf type model.
jswain is online now Find More Posts by jswain
Old Jul 06, 2015, 10:31 AM
Find More Posts by elbone65
Gonads, Son! Big brass ones!
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined May 2005
102 Posts
jswain- Now that there is no motor weight need to be added in order to balance it. I had to add 11oz to the nose area is that about the amount of weight you added?
I am planning on flying it with a 2000mah NiMh battery.
elbone65 is offline Find More Posts by elbone65
Old Jul 06, 2015, 03:59 PM
Find More Posts by jswain
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,279 Posts
answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbone65 View Post
jswain- Now that there is no motor weight need to be added in order to balance it. I had to add 11oz to the nose area is that about the amount of weight you added? I am planning on flying it with a 2000mah NiMh battery.
I think you will be 100% fine using the nimh and whatever weight is needed to balance at suggested CG, just make sure to secure that 11oz of nose weight in the frame or fuse's fiberglass.

What i saw happen was a clubmates 100% configured electric powered mystique that also had a tow hook on the bottom. Upon reaching the apex (and moving at moderate speed) of the winch tow was the 3s lipo battery's weight break loose the strap and wood supports thus disconnect power to all the electrics. The 3s lipo battery and canopy were ejected.

Nothing is 'wrong' with the planes basic design at all, but with hindsight and using a large lipo and winch tow, it showed an unexpected for need for better battery security. Aerotow or slope soaring or high-starting would NOT cause this drama but a winch could (and did).

Your planned use of small double AA's and secured ballast in place of motors and lipo would be OK.
jswain is online now Find More Posts by jswain
Last edited by jswain; Jul 06, 2015 at 04:05 PM.