Find More Posts by FlyingW
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,793 Posts
Question
Transmitter Antenna Questions

Jim,

I preface this question with the statement that I have used XPS Tx and Rx equipment for many years now and have never had any issues with range and or a rock-solid control link.

I am currently looking at FPV systems and see several types of antennas that are supposed to increase the range compared to using standard stock antennas that come with the XPS Tx module. This has made me curious.

1. Would a "patch" type directional antenna (left) increase range over the standard antenna (right) provided I always flew in front of the position from which I am transmitting?

2. Would an omni-directional Tx antenna (middle) increase range compared to the stock antenna?

3. The fancier antenna products come in both right-hand and left hand polarization. Does that come into play with the XPS Rxs?

Thanks for your comments,

Paul
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
Last edited by FlyingW; Apr 07, 2015 at 07:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2015, 07:22 PM
Find More Posts by JimDrew
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
16,870 Posts
ALL of the antennas that we use in our products are 2.1dBi omni-directional. Anything else is illegal to use under FCC rules. I think it is dangerous to play with antennas. You certainly do not want a patch antenna! The range is also so much farther than anyone can see, there is no need to extend it.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 07, 2015, 08:41 PM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,793 Posts
I understand Jim. I will not mess with a perfectly good system. Thanks for your opinion.

Do you have any experience with 1.3GHz video transmitters used for FPV and their possible effect on the XPS link? I want to know if they can interfere with XPS system's range - FPV vendors sell low-pass and notch filters for use with 1.3GHz video transmitters to reduce interference in the 2.4GHz region because some systems must have issues.
Old Apr 07, 2015, 11:33 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
16,870 Posts
Any and ALL transmitters located within several feet of a receiver will reduce the range of the receiver.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2015, 09:07 AM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,793 Posts
Very interesting. It is therefore crucial to perform rigorous range checks.
Old Apr 08, 2015, 10:44 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
16,870 Posts
Yes, absolutely!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2015, 05:08 PM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,793 Posts
Tested a 1.3ghz, 400mw video transmitter with the 2.4ghz XPS control system on the same aircraft. Installed a 1.3/2.4ghz "notch" filter on the video Tx output. This filter blocks spurious 2.4ghz emissions by the video Tx. The quadcopter is rather large so I was able to locate the 1.3ghx antenna about 14 inches away from the Nano Rx.

Ran out to about 1/2 mile with no problems.

Keep on trucking.