New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2015, 10:27 AM
Find More Posts by SK1701
India, KA, Bengaluru
Joined Jan 2015
42 Posts
Discussion
Quad Flyer looking at getting into Helis

My first foray into RC was last November when I built a Reptile 500 quad. I learnt to fly on this quad without even touching a toy quad. As a (younger) kid I 'flew' a crappy 2ch coaxial but I gave up on it very quickly. While I am in the continuous process of rebuilding and upgrading my quad, I am looking into helis. I find collective pitch very interesting due to the possibilities it offers- inverted flying and autorotation. I would like to get into helis sometime this year so I wanted to ask how helis fly compared to quads? I've flown comfortably in both rate mode and self-levelling on my quadcopter (LOS, not FPV). I also wanted suggestions on whether I should practice on a micro heli or not? Would the v911 pro be a good choice or should I go for a CP micro? What are some good and reasonably cheap 450 helis? The HK-450 Pros seem like nice options.

CaptJac seems like one of the resident experts of this forum, could you please send me your Heli Guides?
Thank you.
SK1701 is offline Find More Posts by SK1701
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2015, 11:12 AM
Find More Posts by Steve_
Chairman of Circular Carnage
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
4,914 Posts
Post here for Free Helicopter Guides:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...545172&page=86

CaptJac is a busy instructor and might miss this post.

V911 is an excellent first step up from coaxial helicopters.

They are cheap, durable, and let you learn orientation indoors.
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
Old Jul 01, 2015, 03:45 PM
Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
13,199 Posts
Personally I'm pretty sure that if you can confidently fly a quad with self leveling turned off then you shouldn't have much trouble with a collective pitch heli. They actually fly quite similar, i used a multi rotor (a tricopter) with self leveling set low to practice my nose in hovering when i first started flying helis and i found the skills transferred over to CP heli very well.

Of course a quad with strong self leveling and other flying aids is nothing like as challenging as a CP heli, but turn all that stuff off and if anything they are harder as orientation is more difficult on a quad.

Which CP heli to get is a different thing. If your budget can stretch I'd personally recommend going to something of a decent size. If you understand the safety precautions necessary with a big heli have a suitable place to fly it and you are totally comfortable with an un-stabilised quad then something 500 size or even larger should be fine, the bigger they are the easier they are to fly
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Jul 01, 2015 at 04:05 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2015, 05:19 PM
Find More Posts by mgfiest
Canada, ON, Leamington
Joined Aug 2014
97 Posts
Will agree with Jet ,.. Go to a cp not small... You got orientation underway.. I would suggest a sim and fly a 700 type heli first... That the route I am taking
mgfiest is offline Find More Posts by mgfiest
Old Jul 01, 2015, 06:39 PM
Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
I'm breaking-in helis.
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
2,997 Posts
if i may add collective pitch helis crash spectacularly and you usually spend a few minutes picking up parts quads tend to be crash-pick up-fly again

cp heli=money ship(but the bigger, the more pleasure it provides)
Flying Pitcher is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Old Jul 02, 2015, 07:19 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
13,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pitcher View Post
if i may add collective pitch helis crash spectacularly
The secret is... dont crash!

Old Jul 02, 2015, 08:19 AM
Find More Posts by SK1701
India, KA, Bengaluru
Joined Jan 2015
42 Posts
Thanks for all the advice anyone. I really appreciate it.

@Steve_ I PMed the Captain and he has very kindly emailed me samples of the 101 and 102 guides. I have quite some reading ahead of me I will think about buying the V911 but I am also building this micro quad which should provide some good indoor orientation practice.

@JetPlaneFlyer thank you. I will wait for my APM board and practice some more acro mode on my quad and then go for a heli Which heli would you recommend? How are the HobbyKing helis? TRex seems too expensive at the moment. The LHS here do not appear to carry any other brands.

@mgfiest I will look for a sim to practice on but I would like to learn on a real one if possible. Plus, I use a Mac so there are not many options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pitcher View Post
if i may add collective pitch helis crash spectacularly and you usually spend a few minutes picking up parts quads tend to be crash-pick up-fly again
more like crash-replace props-fly again but that sums it up pretty well. i've read that even rough landings can damage heli parts. That's why I like the simplicity of quads but I guess a heli would be a nice challenge.
SK1701 is offline Find More Posts by SK1701
Old Jul 02, 2015, 10:39 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
13,199 Posts
Some of the Hobbyking helis are very good, some are terrible. The RJX or KDS brands that Hobbyking sell are very nice helis. Some of their own brand Trex clones are not so good.
Old Jul 02, 2015, 03:39 PM
Find More Posts by mgfiest
Canada, ON, Leamington
Joined Aug 2014
97 Posts
Heli-x works on a Mac.... Crashes on a sim are free..while in real can be costly
mgfiest is offline Find More Posts by mgfiest
Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM
I'm breaking-in helis.
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
2,997 Posts
RJX is great(600electric version) i have one and crashed it quite a few times.. some people saw pix. Surprisingly, not a lot gets damaged.

it's a "tip-over friendly" type of heli. It doesn't break if you tip-over a couple times.ask me how i know.
Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM
I'm breaking-in helis.
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
2,997 Posts
i guess i can throw in a few photos.

you're welcome, now you want one of these
usual crash parts:
mainshaft, plastic linkages,boom, blades,boom supports, skid struts(lexan from lowe's)
Pretty much like a 450 helionly pleasure factor is multiplied a few times because of larger size.