Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:08 PM
Find More Posts by DaddyBigas
Need less hobbies, more toys
United States, AR
Joined Oct 2013
2,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravythe Clown View Post
Wow, that going on almost a year now on the "its almost here". I cant believe they have not finished that part up yet.

Thanks DaddyBigas for not just the update but for helping me down the right path back then.

gravy

You bet. 😄 It sure is fun, ain't it?
DaddyBigas is online now Find More Posts by DaddyBigas
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2015, 08:18 AM
Find More Posts by jlipscomb
MR crasher and destroyer
Spain, CT, Reus
Joined Jan 2014
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer View Post

I changed the antennas on my X receiver to the whisker type and I can say from first hand experience that the potting material is really stout, but also is slightly flexible.
Mike
Sir,
Don't mean to hijack this really interesting thread. I'm just wondering how you did that? I've got two X8R's with the paddle PCB antenna's and was wondering how to do this. Thanks!
jlipscomb is offline Find More Posts by jlipscomb
Old Apr 25, 2015, 08:49 AM
Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
5,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlipscomb View Post
Sir,
Don't mean to hijack this really interesting thread. I'm just wondering how you did that? I've got two X8R's with the paddle PCB antenna's and was wondering how to do this. Thanks!
They are on push on connectors, easy job.
Once The glue is removed they come off easy , push them on hard though make sure they go right on and glue again.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Apr 25, 2015, 08:55 AM
Find More Posts by maguro
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Sir,
Aloft sells the whisker antennas for the X receivers. Soften the glue with a bit of alcohol, then carefully remove. Be careful when prying off the old antennas. You don't want to mess up the connector. Allign the new connectors and press HARD until you feel the click that indicates a good connection. A bit of hot melt glue will hold the new antennas in place.
maguro is offline Find More Posts by maguro
Old Apr 25, 2015, 09:13 AM
Find More Posts by Jet_Flyer
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
1,698 Posts
Quote:
Sir,
I bought the X8R combo pack http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-x8...nna-combo.html that came with the whisker antennas. I think you can also get them from Aloft as separate items as well.

To replace:

1. Peel back part of the stickers on the sides of the receiver case.
2. Insert a small screw driver blade into the case retaining latches one at a time to gently release them.
3. Remove the case.
4. I gently cut the potting material free from the antenna side of the connector.
5. Griping the sides of the antenna side of the connector lifted the connector off using needle nose. The connectors have a snapping action to hold them together. Need to be very carful not to damage the connector.
6. Snapped to new antennas on making absolutely sure they were fully seated.
7. Used a small blob of contract cement to re-pot the connectors.
8. reassemble case.
9. Push stickers back down on both sides.
10. Range check.

I did not want to use any type of solvent to clean the potting material off the connectors because I didn't want any of the potting material to get washed inside of the connector.

Not a hard job, but I do use an articulated six inch illuminated hobby magnifier unit when I work small parts like these.

Mike
Jet_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Jet_Flyer
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Apr 25, 2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:49 AM
MR crasher and destroyer
Spain, CT, Reus
Joined Jan 2014
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
They are on push on connectors, easy job.
Once The glue is removed they come off easy , push them on hard though make sure they go right on and glue again.
Thank you.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:50 AM
MR crasher and destroyer
Spain, CT, Reus
Joined Jan 2014
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer View Post
I bought the X8R combo pack http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-x8...nna-combo.html that came with the whisker antennas. I think you can also get them from Aloft as separate items as well.

To replace:

1. Peel back part of the stickers on the sides of the receiver case.
2. Insert a small screw driver blade into the case retaining latches one at a time to gently release them.
3. Remove the case.
4. I gently cut the potting material free from the antenna side of the connector.
5. Griping the sides of the antenna side of the connector lifted the connector off using needle nose. The connectors have a snapping action to hold them together. Need to be very carful not to damage the connector.
6. Snapped to new antennas on making absolutely sure they were fully seated.
7. Used a small blob of contract cement to re-pot the connectors.
8. reassemble case.
9. Push stickers back down on both sides.
10. Range check.

I did not want to use any type of solvent to clean the potting material off the connectors because I didn't want any of the potting material to get washed inside of the connector.

Not a hard job, but I do use an articulated six inch illuminated hobby magnifier unit when I work small parts like these.

Mike
Very good information. Thank you for the response.