HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2013, 10:48 AM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
1,084 Posts
Thanks EJWash, Ihad forgotton how much I enjoy building.
Petrie is offline Find More Posts by Petrie
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2013, 10:55 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailskid2 View Post
Don't be too concerned about the parts and how they fit or don't fit the plans - let the parts decide where they should go and use the plans as a 'close' guide. Plans can expand/contract, balsa doesn't

I had the servos mounted as per the plans and used a Saito 100 if I remember correctly and didn't need any weight to arrive on the CG (I think I had the battery under the tank). I believe your choice of engine is heavier, and should offset the servos mounted if they are mounted further aft. You would need the smoke tank to be on or below the CG as that gets used up quickly and weighs a lot.

I added brace wires for the 'cool' effect and placed a couple (3) hardwood blocks along the trailing edge of the horizontal and vertical stabs. I think they were located at or near where your outer two "v" balsa sticks meet and the one on the vertical, as high as I could get it. Remember NOT to have all the connections metal or you will create a 'ring' of metal (antenna???) and it might effect the 75mHz signal....I don't know about the 2.4 stuff.

And don't worry about the glue; Elmers works just fine as does any of the "Yellow" glues (TiteBond, etc). Just keep building...........I think it took longer to cover the plane than to build it! That kit is GREAT. I wish I had some pics of it as I did cover it in a cloth (Coverite maybe) and followed the color scheme on the box - in fact I just threw away my templates for the starburst about a month ago - sorry.
I got off on the glue thing because I must have got a bad bottle of the GP med. Had me worried that CA changed because it was unhealthy or somthing. I'm good now.

Do you know or know of a Jim Russel that flys around Phoenix? Was my neighbor on 19th Ave, wondering if he is still flying?
Old May 19, 2013, 05:16 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,422 Posts
I belong to two clubs and I'm certain he is not a member of one of them (only 35 members); the other 'AMPS' has over 250 so he might be in that bunch...I'll check as the name does sound familiar....
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2013, 06:34 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,084 Posts
Anyone have ideals on make hatches for the servos? Should I mount the servos per plans and make a removable hatch or mount the servo on the removable hatch? any links or photos would be great.
Old May 24, 2013, 10:05 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,390 Posts
Just my two cents, but Being a re-entry to building, I'd stick with the plan in order to get my feet re-wet. Plenty of downline projects to improvise away from kit plans on.

Just sayin'.

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old May 24, 2013, 11:13 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1 View Post
Just my two cents, but Being a re-entry to building, I'd stick with the plan in order to get my feet re-wet. Plenty of downline projects to improvise away from kit plans on.

Just sayin'.

EJWash
I understand what you are saying, KISS (keep it simple stupid) very good advice. But for some reason Midwest wants you to build the servo into the wing and cover over it. So if you ever need to get to the servo again you have to cut open the covering. I have read of others doing a hatch just haven't found a good description yet.
Old May 24, 2013, 11:21 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,390 Posts
I have a Midwest Super Stearman kit. Let me take a look at the plans as far as the aileron servo instillation and get back to you.

EJWash
Old May 25, 2013, 02:58 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,390 Posts
I took a look at my Midwest Super Stearman plans and the aileron servos are mounted vertically on hardwood rails that are mounted between two of the wing's ribs.

I've only seen three ways to mount aileron servos in a wing.

- The servo is mounted vertically in the wing with the top of the servo exposed to the elements.

- The servo is mounted horizontally on a removable hatch, and the hatch is attached to hardwood rails between two wing ribs.

Of course there probably other ways to mount the aileron servos, but looking at several sets of build plans, these are the two used.

I prefer the hatch method. If the servo ever goes on the fritz and you need to replace it, you aren't restricted to the same servo. You'll have to make new hatches if you don't or can't use the same make/model of servo, but you're not stuck in the case of the vertical mount method.

EJWash
Old Jun 13, 2013, 07:07 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,084 Posts
Looking for some 1/4 x 1/4 x 36 hardwood sticks. Found some at Balsausa but $16.00 shipping on $5.00 is kind of steep. I can find the sticks in 24" elsewhere but not in 36". Anyone have somewhere else to look? Might try cutting some myself on the tablesaw.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 09:27 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrie View Post
Looking for some 1/4 x 1/4 x 36 hardwood sticks. Found some at Balsausa but $16.00 shipping on $5.00 is kind of steep. I can find the sticks in 24" elsewhere but not in 36". Anyone have somewhere else to look? Might try cutting some myself on the tablesaw.
Build up your order.

I use BUSA's brand of CA. Order some extra wood, or maybe order some Solartex for your covering. It all helps to bring down the relative cost for shipping.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jun 13, 2013, 07:12 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,422 Posts
Take and splice two 24" sticks and if you are worried about them being weak, add a doubler to the stick what will be on the inside of the airframe. This has worked well for me in the past.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2013, 07:37 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailskid2 View Post
Take and splice two 24" sticks and if you are worried about them being weak, add a doubler to the stick what will be on the inside of the airframe. This has worked well for me in the past.
Thanks tailskid that is what I decided to do this afternoon. Started thinking about replacing the 1/4 x 1/4 balsa sticks and thought a glue joint on the hardwood still be stronger than the balsa sticks.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 02:40 AM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,422 Posts
You will need some pretty stout stringers along the bottom of the fuse as that is where most people will grab when they pick up your fuselage after another great flight!
RCG Plus Member