SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:04 AM
Joined Feb 2013
34 Posts
Discussion
Space? Is it possible?

ive been looking around at the distance from LRS, some claiming 111km! ive heard dragonlink can hit 30km quiet easy. is this true?

im more into height, id like to get up high and see everything!!

Redbull jumped from the stratos, which i think is around 25km? ive seen videos of 18,000ft FPV . would it be possible if your plane had enough battery to get up that sort of height? im also saying the weather is perfect not a cloud in sight. so far the limit seems to be VTX.

anyone know the best Vtx for height, i have a 1W 5.8 with CL which is only good for a few miles. but i know 5.8 isnt great with objects.

Does anyone use 2 Vtx in 1 plane? 1.3 and 5.8? or would the noise just ruin the signal on both?
Ryan9171 is offline Find More Posts by Ryan9171
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:14 AM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Feb 2013
931 Posts
most likely no. first issue is power to weight. more MAH batteries would mean more weight to haul up that high.

second, the air is really thin that high up. too thin for props to work efficiently. you'd have better luck with gas turbine engines (though they suffer up high too, just not nearly as much as propellers)

i think radio contact is the easiest part of hitting that height.
serrated is offline Find More Posts by serrated
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:18 AM
Joined Feb 2013
931 Posts
you could use weather balloons to haul your fpv plane up that high, then glide it down (glide to preserve your battery for control/vtx). you'd have to code your own arduino sketch to release before the balloon popped, else you'd have to fly with a huge weather balloon stuck on your plane
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:23 AM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serrated View Post
most likely no. first issue is power to weight. more MAH batteries would mean more weight to haul up that high.

second, the air is really thin that high up. too thin for props to work efficiently. you'd have better luck with gas turbine engines (though they suffer up high too, just not nearly as much as propellers)

i think radio contact is the easiest part of hitting that height.
A normal turbine wouldn't work either it would flame out due to lack of O2. You'd have to bring O2 with you. But of course it wouldn't work in a vacuum anyway, nothing to push on. You'd have to use a space rocket, which actually performs the exposion outside the rocket canister, creating it's own pocket of atmosphere to push against.
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:24 AM
FPV FTW!!
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Oct 2011
651 Posts
Its already been done. There was a team from Laos or something that got up to around 80,000 feet with a balloon and glided back down. They used Dragon Link and Dragon OSD.
Rexnoobs247 is offline Find More Posts by Rexnoobs247
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:29 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,881 Posts
I have a flying wing that I am building for duration higher altitude flights at 7-10k feet using 1.2ghz. The problems come to play when you hit your null point. Look at antenna radiation patterns, most are a donut shape leaving the area above you lacking in reception.

There are a few options for extreme range/altitude but you should look into longer range systems/trackers/antennas.

I use dual frequencies on my camera plane, 1.2 for me, and 5.8 for the camera guy but that is usually within a mile. Why would you want both for just the pilot?

If you are looking at this, you should have a very good plan to avoid air traffic, have a very good return to home, stabilization, and a team of spotters/tracking equipment.

Currently the record for Altitude is 35,643ft (10863m) and that was an assisted launch from a weather balloon.

If you are serious, start researching aeronautics and fluid dynamics. you are going to need insane power to climb after the first ~20,000ft due to thinner air.

Good luck...
Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:31 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexnoobs247 View Post
80,000 feet with a balloon and glided back down.
Forgot about those guys... key words there is "TEAM" not one guy...
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:32 AM
Joined Feb 2013
931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd60 View Post
A normal turbine wouldn't work either it would flame out due to lack of O2. You'd have to bring O2 with you. But of course it wouldn't work in a vacuum anyway, nothing to push on. You'd have to use a space rocket, which actually performs the exposion outside the rocket canister, creating it's own pocket of atmosphere to push against.
oh, i assumed it would, considering the SR-71 blackbird requires a spacesuit to fly at max altitude lol. but i guess the key word is "normal" turbine.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:34 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serrated View Post
oh, i assumed it would, considering the SR-71 blackbird requires a spacesuit to fly at max altitude lol. but i guess the key word is "normal" turbine.
yup... the SR71 used ramjet features built into their turbines to assist at higher altitudes. The space suit was not for the altitude but to equalize the pressures and heat exerted on the aircraft and crew.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:52 AM
FPV FTW!!
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Oct 2011
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
yup... the SR71 used ramjet features built into their turbines to assist at higher altitudes. The space suit was not for the altitude but to equalize the pressures and heat exerted on the aircraft and crew.
And also to keep the crew alive if they ever needed to eject or had a depressurization.
Rexnoobs247 is offline Find More Posts by Rexnoobs247
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:56 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,837 Posts
There have been several one and two guy FPV operations who did weather balloon fpv runs, only one where they dropped a glider from the stratosphere that I know of. I think DIYRones sells the balloons for $40, then you just buy some helium, go to a desolate area, check the air routes and airways to ensure you are not in one of them. But I recall one weather balloon project (non FPV, Gopro only) which did have FAA permission (so says the guy who launched it) to fly caught a jetliner on camera zipping incredibly close by. 1280 and a 15dB patch should reach up there, I would guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_plan - discusses types of routing used by aircraft
http://skyvector.com/ - click world hi and world low to see the common air route charts
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:58 PM
Joined Feb 2013
34 Posts
thanks for all the posts. ive seen the weather balloons, cost around $400 which is around 250 to launch one by the time you get the gas etc.

i was thinking of making a plane, most probs a glider and i was thinking of having a prop on the front powered by battery and a small COX engine mounted on the wing like a easy star. as the cox engine will give good thrust and basically runs on magic and dreams!!!

ive done tests with small cox engines and 100ml lasts around 50mins.

instead of a antenna tracker could i use 3 patch antennas with 120 degrees range and a diversity system? ive seen this alot on antenna towers.

do antenna trackers work well at great height?
has anyone got any links of the best or what they think is the best VTX for super long range?
and its been asked a million times but what LRS system would you get?

also i think alot of the planes that get released from weather balloons are UAV's? ive been looking around for about a year, still havnt brought all the stuff i want for fpv as i dont know what is the best, as id rather buy the best rather than upgrade
Old Mar 05, 2013, 01:17 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,837 Posts
why go to nitro when you can get an electric plane which runs up to 4 hours? Or a glider which can thermal indefinitely?

IIRC the record FPV flight altitude is something like 23,000ft - take off from surface and no balloon.

FPV video reception is a matter of LOS distance, not altitude. 20,000 ft is only 6km, which you can get good reception using even 5.8 and a patch, though I would advise lower frequency. Easy with 1280 and a 8dB patch, and maybe only 300mW power.

Not that you should be flying up there at all. I recommend a flight training ground school first, at a minimum.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:11 PM
Joined Feb 2013
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
why go to nitro when you can get an electric plane which runs up to 4 hours? Or a glider which can thermal indefinitely?

IIRC the record FPV flight altitude is something like 23,000ft - take off from surface and no balloon.

FPV video reception is a matter of LOS distance, not altitude. 20,000 ft is only 6km, which you can get good reception using even 5.8 and a patch, though I would advise lower frequency. Easy with 1280 and a 8dB patch, and maybe only 300mW power.

Not that you should be flying up there at all. I recommend a flight training ground school first, at a minimum.
i do paramotoring with is alot of fun so i know alot about air traffic ect, just wondering if it was possible as one day id like to do a very high flight.

i love electric flight as you can turn it on and off. but i was thinking about nitro for climb as a large battery 5000ma+ is quiet heavy, granted the fuel is also heavy but on the glide down all the fuel is used up and the plane is light again

was only a thought, i have got a 5500ma 3s which id probs use for long flights instead of nitro. (but i have got abit of a thing for little nitro engines )
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:35 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,837 Posts
To get the electric endurance takes a whole package. High aspect wings, streamlined, high volts, low amps, large prop. But you are right - fuel has a lot more energy density and you save weight as it burns too. Fuel power on the same plane and weight should go way further than electric. One downside to fuel though - how well will a combustion nitro engine function in thin air at 20k ft? Might need rich/lean mixture control servo, carb heater for ice, etc. I don't know, electric seems easier.