HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:06 AM
United States, WI, Madison
Joined Oct 2008
19 Posts
Question
First Engine?

Hello! I'm in the process of building my first plane, a Sig Kadet Senior. It is getting to be about time to start the search for an engine.

I have zero experience with a glow engines and was wondering which would be the better choice? two stroke or four stroke? I've read maintenance is simpler with a two stroke, but that they are rather noisy. I like the idea of a four stroke in the .50s range.

I'm building the plane according to plans as a 3 channel trainer and don't foresee any crazy antics with it. Just something to learn on before my next plane.

Any advice/opinions you all have would be great. Thanks!
Deuce5150 is offline Find More Posts by Deuce5150
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:46 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,818 Posts
If you've never dealt with glow engines at all, I'd recommend the OS 46LA or the Thunder Tiger GP-42. Both are easy to start and easy to tune and will give you years of reliable use with very little maintenance. They both run about $85. A lot of folks will tell you to "buy a ball bearing engine because they have a lot more power"..... you just don't need it with that plane. Then they'll tell you, "....but when you want to put it on another plane....." Unless you shred your Kadet, you'll keep that plane as long as you're in the hobby on days when you want some calm, relaxing flying. If you do decide to sell it at some point, there's no point in selling it with an engine that costs $50 more in it for someone to putt-putt around the sky with.... just my opinion and we know what those are worth. Good luck with it!

Pat
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:19 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,544 Posts
the engines recomended above would do!

but theres something ta be said about four strokes! they use less fuel, and sound alot better just puttering around the sky! a 50 something forstroke would be great in that senior!

I personally would go with ailerons though, even if it is gonna be your first plane, unless you are completely on your own, "learning ta fly!" if you have someone that can get you off the ground the first coupla times, you should realy concider ailerons!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig Mustang 450
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:20 PM
Joined Oct 2008
19 Posts
After more reading I have been leaning toward two stroke simply because of cost. Have you ever had any dealings with Aviastar engines?

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar..._02AVIASTAR_01
Last edited by Deuce5150; Sep 05, 2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Fix link
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:32 PM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
3,544 Posts
never had one of those, but looks ta be an ok engine, I would trust SIG ta suguest an ok engine if its on there site!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined Oct 2008
19 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the help!
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:55 PM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
3,544 Posts
just keep in mind, that a 2 stroke needs ta be adjustested every time ta the field! (but should only need it once when you first start up) as they are more sensitive ta temp and humidity changes.

will become second nature after a coupla times! just break it in properly, and that shouldn't take much either, with modern engines by the time you get the carb set the first time, it should be flyable, just change up from 1/2 ta 3/4 throttle every coupla mins!

thats the way I broke-in my old magnum 25, and 25 yrs later, she still runs great, just slobs a lil more oil!

its great ta see ya building, welcome ta a great hobby, good luck and keep us posted!
some pics of your build would be kewl!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:12 AM
Joined Oct 2008
19 Posts
A little adjustment and tinkering is half the fun! I will definitely keep that in mind. Anything that keeps the plane from becoming a pile of sticks in the middle of a smoldering crater is fine with me.

I'll try to to get some up. Build pace is slow, but steady.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:16 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,818 Posts
I have an Aviastar .46 and it's a great engine, BUT..... it was hell breaking in. I had to get all the air leaks sealed up as well. Some folks say you don't have to do that, but I couldn't get this thing to transition at ALL, even after I sent the carb back to Sig. After I put red RTV silicone around the head, back plate and the throat of the carb, it ran MUCH better, but it'd still load up at idle and die eventually. So I put it on a SPAD FNS and ran it wide open the entire time. Man, that thing is a SCREAMER! Once I finally got it broken in good, it transitions pretty well now. It's hard to go wrong with this engine at 49 bucks, but I sure wouldn't recommend it for a beginner. I was pretty green when I got mine and I was pulling my hair out.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:12 PM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
3,544 Posts
sounds like an engine that calls for some bench break-in time!

wouldn't take much ta put together a test stand, and run a coupla tanks through it, on the ground!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:21 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,818 Posts
I ran mine on a break in stand. I put almost a gallon through it fiddling around with it trying to get the transition right before I ever put it in the plane. That's why I finally said "ta heck with it" and stuck it in something I knew I would fly wide open and then dead-stick so I wouldn't have to worry about the transition or idle. It's a true chrome liner and takes more than a coupla tanks to break it in. That's why I though the OS or TT would be a better engine for a first timer.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:51 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined May 2010
9 Posts
4 st vs 2st

Before You make a descision in stone, you ought to poke around to comments made on the kadet senior using the 4 strokes, I have done about 10 of the seniors over the years and loved everyone with the 4 strokes,the one I did with a two stroke just hated it!The large wing span with the three channel controls just begs for the four strokes,ran them with everything from a os 40 to a 65 , the four stroke with a large prop and a very slight breeze and the kadet will actuall back up for you,alot harder to do with a high rpm 2 stroke with a smaller prop!But just my opionion as many have are flown w 2 strokes.one thing alot of times around nov. dec you can pick up a magnum 52 fourstroke new for less than $100.
mwilliwood66 is offline Find More Posts by mwilliwood66
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:05 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce5150 View Post
A little adjustment and tinkering is half the fun! I will definitely keep that in mind. Anything that keeps the plane from becoming a pile of sticks in the middle of a smoldering crater is fine with me.

I'll try to to get some up. Build pace is slow, but steady.
methanol powered planes dont turn into smoldering craters as the fuel can not be ignited by any part of the plane itself outside the combustion chamber during compression unless youve got lipos for an rx battery lol!
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:48 AM
Joined Oct 2008
19 Posts
I haven't made a decision quite yet on what to get. I'm still a bit away from attaching an engine, so I've got some time. Meanwhile I have been keeping my eyes peeled to the classifieds looking for something that would work well. Not in a giant hurry to purchase, but I figured it wouldn't be the worst idea to get some advice or opinions, all of which I appreciate.

I did look at the Magnum 52 online and thought it sounded like a decent choice.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:02 PM
United States, CO, Dacono
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
I have to put in a plug for the Magnum 52 and 61. My Dad's Kadet Sr. runs a Magnum 61 4 stroke and it's just perfect for the plane. Here's a vid of it's maiden, we almost lost her because of a bad receiver but that's been corrected.
Remaiden of the Sig Kadet Senior! Then almost loose it again! (4 min 46 sec)
cherokeenut is offline Find More Posts by cherokeenut