HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:18 AM
txflyer
United States, TX, Aledo
Joined Jan 2013
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
So on a less whiny crybaby note I'm loving my Gamma. Managed to crash it somehow ejecting the battery door just to pick it up and continue flying for another pack and a half.
Thats great. Thats what this hobby is about. Getting a plane thats flyable. I hope you endure many great flights . I wish mine would have been good long enough to enjoy it. I bought a new truck once that the tranny blew in after 300 miles. But with good customer service it was fixed. I still drive a Dodge diesel.
amrmatt is offline Find More Posts by amrmatt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:47 AM
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Jan 2013
131 Posts
Got mine built last night!

I have to adjust the rudder cause when I power it on it swings a few degrees to the right, enough that when I am taxing the plane starts to turn

Did you guys change the connectors everywhere? I changed the connector from the ESC to the battery. How about from the ESC to the motor?
lardo5150 is offline Find More Posts by lardo5150
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:44 AM
United States, NM, Deming
Joined Sep 2012
418 Posts
Finlay got to maiden my gamma last evening, WOW. This baby fly's like a dream. Flew 2 batteries without any problems. I did a couple of the mods posted here. Changed out the battery connector to TX60 and added a piece of small dowel to the front and back of the wing. This is my second plane, the first is the Champ.
cervri is offline Find More Posts by cervri
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:21 AM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lardo5150 View Post
Got mine built last night!

I have to adjust the rudder cause when I power it on it swings a few degrees to the right, enough that when I am taxing the plane starts to turn

Did you guys change the connectors everywhere? I changed the connector from the ESC to the battery. How about from the ESC to the motor?
When taxiing, just control it with the Tx. You'll need a pinch of right rudder when taking off anyway.
You guys may want to swap out the tail wheel for something a little more substantial. Dubro makes a 1" one that works well.
The connectors for the brushless motor to the ESC are gold plated bullet connectors. Keep them. One day you may want to put a stronger 25 amp ESC in it
And you'll swap out the leads.
Btw... HeadsRC.com is the bomb for affordable spare parts.
I picked up a FirePower 370 sport motor and Hurc 22amp ESC for $30 + shipping.
Nice setup.
ChinoDiablo is offline Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:06 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrmatt View Post
Im going to rock the boat a little. I bought the pro RXR last week. Spent 45 bucks on thier batterys, 15 on props, and 5 on deans. This plane flew only a few minutes esc toasted it self. Both Ares and HobbyTown refused to stand behind it.. I put this plane on the curb this evening with the garbage. I wont spend a dime on hobby town branded products again. And if ANY other store has what I need I will do my best not to shop there any more. If someone hurrys the can did thru my trash for it before morning. The wing isnt there because it didnt make it, but theres a full unharmed fuse there.
So now, Amrmatt, you are out $100 for the cost of the plane.
I understand "the point" of the matter being that as a consumer, one shouldn't have to put up with defective products or with lousy customer service. And obviously you stand by that point and now are you are going up to people and telling them to buy anything but a Gamma...because of the service you received and the seemingly defective nature of the product.
As I said earlier, what's done is done. But I surmise that for less than $30 you could have gotten yourself a new ESC and some white duct tape, foam safe CA and taped up that wing and that Gamma of yours, while looking a pinch ghetto, would be up in the air thrilling you as it has with the rest of the followers of this thread.
Yes, you shouldn't have to replace something barely used.
Should Ares/HobbyTown given you a new wing? I don't know...If every Tom, Dick and Harry that came in and said they wanted a new wing because their plane crashed due to ESC/connector/battery/linkage/rubberband/glue/CG failure and not pilot error, then they wouldn't make any money and thus one could see their reluctance to so quickly hand out new wings.
This hobby REQUIRES a bit of of resourcefulness to solve problems to get you what you want, which is to fly your plane.
By doing what you have done I feel you've alienated your local HobbyTown and Ares, instead of doing what was necessary to get your Gamma in the air. The plane would have cost you $130 instead of $100 but now you are out the $100 AND the plane.
Too much of a knee jerk emotional response to a situation that could easily have been resolved through other means.
I guess what I'm saying is that you should have checked with us here at the forum before pitching your perfectly good repairable Gamma.
Oh, well. Live and learn.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:54 AM
txflyer
United States, TX, Aledo
Joined Jan 2013
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
So now, Amrmatt, you are out $100 for the cost of the plane.
I understand "the point" of the matter being that as a consumer, one shouldn't have to put up with defective products or with lousy customer service. And obviously you stand by that point and now are you are going up to people and telling them to buy anything but a Gamma...because of the service you received and the seemingly defective nature of the product.
As I said earlier, what's done is done. But I surmise that for less than $30 you could have gotten yourself a new ESC and some white duct tape, foam safe CA and taped up that wing and that Gamma of yours, while looking a pinch ghetto, would be up in the air thrilling you as it has with the rest of the followers of this thread.
Yes, you shouldn't have to replace something barely used.
Should Ares/HobbyTown given you a new wing? I don't know...If every Tom, Dick and Harry that came in and said they wanted a new wing because their plane crashed due to ESC/connector/battery/linkage/rubberband/glue/CG failure and not pilot error, then they wouldn't make any money and thus one could see their reluctance to so quickly hand out new wings.
This hobby REQUIRES a bit of of resourcefulness to solve problems to get you what you want, which is to fly your plane.
By doing what you have done I feel you've alienated your local HobbyTown and Ares, instead of doing what was necessary to get your Gamma in the air. The plane would have cost you $130 instead of $100 but now you are out the $100 AND the plane.
Too much of a knee jerk emotional response to a situation that could easily have been resolved through other means.
I guess what I'm saying is that you should have checked with us here at the forum before pitching your perfectly good repairable Gamma.
Oh, well. Live and learn.

Its not about money, its not about an airplane. This became about a company who did not stand behind a product. And after not standing behind it, had they nerve to say in a public forum that I lied, and they offered every solution.
I could not spend more money on that plane. It didnt feel right to me.
As a business owner, I know sometimes you get the customer that breaks it them self and wants a new one. This is not the case. I know I have spent no less than 1000 dollar's at that store in the past month alone. Im not concerned with crashed planes. I know how to biuld, repair and maintain them. I have given more planes away to beginners than most people own. I just dont buy them with the Ares name on them. Which kinda sucks, the trainer 100 was on my list.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:13 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrmatt View Post
Its not about money, its not about an airplane. This became about a company who did not stand behind a product. And after not standing behind it, had they nerve to say in a public forum that I lied, and they offered every solution.
I could not spend more money on that plane. It didnt feel right to me.
As a business owner, I know sometimes you get the customer that breaks it them self and wants a new one. This is not the case. I know I have spent no less than 1000 dollar's at that store in the past month alone. Im not concerned with crashed planes. I know how to biuld, repair and maintain them. I have given more planes away to beginners than most people own. I just dont buy them with the Ares name on them. Which kinda sucks, the trainer 100 was on my list.
You see, there you go...you're being head-strong and overly principled about a mass produced foamy thing made in China by underpaid, overworked and expoited employees.
IMO, I feel you cut off your nose to spite your face.
Too bad.
The Micro Trainer 100 got a great review on 2Bfly.com http://2bfly.com/reviews/ares-ultra-...er-100-review/
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:22 AM
txflyer
United States, TX, Aledo
Joined Jan 2013
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
You see, there you go...you're being head-strong and overly principled about a mass produced foamy thing made in China by underpaid, overworked and expoited employees.
IMO, I feel you cut off your nose to spite your face.
Too bad.
The Micro Trainer 100 got a great review on 2Bfly.com http://2bfly.com/reviews/ares-ultra-...er-100-review/
Hobby town is not the only source for planes here. And as far as Ares, I may never know how the fly.

The kids that are going to be flying my trainers wont even know Ares exist. When the are ready to buy a plane, I wont be able to recommend them,as I have never seen one fly with out breaking.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:06 AM
United States, CA, Walnut
Joined Sep 2006
757 Posts
I choose to use my ignore list so I can get back to enjoying the encouragement and knowledge Chinodiablo, Chucksolo, and others bring to the group.

After being told I had six months to live(pancreatic cancer) I had major surgery.

Flying RC planes was one of the few things on my bucket list. Huskerfreak was EXTREMEMLY kind to my wife helping her line up a Pro for me.

When I picked it up my Hobbytown had already opened it and inspected it for damage before calling me it was in. GREAT SERVICE I love this plane, I love this hobby , and have GREAT respect for the many, many posters on these forums who choose to help us newbies.

These forums are full of posts warning of potential weak spots on any plane. This is helpful.. To go on and on that you have been wronged and use strong language such as liar is not.

These are my opinions , I am not trying to offend anyone , I want to continue to enjoy this thread.

Thank you again for all the positive helpful posters here you are keeping my life fun

Gary
Blusaber is offline Find More Posts by Blusaber
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:51 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blusaber View Post
I choose to use my ignore list so I can get back to enjoying the encouragement and knowledge Chinodiablo, Chucksolo, and others bring to the group.

After being told I had six months to live(pancreatic cancer) I had major surgery.

Flying RC planes was one of the few things on my bucket list. Huskerfreak was EXTREMEMLY kind to my wife helping her line up a Pro for me.

When I picked it up my Hobbytown had already opened it and inspected it for damage before calling me it was in. GREAT SERVICE I love this plane, I love this hobby , and have GREAT respect for the many, many posters on these forums who choose to help us newbies.

These forums are full of posts warning of potential weak spots on any plane. This is helpful.. To go on and on that you have been wronged and use strong language such as liar is not.

These are my opinions , I am not trying to offend anyone , I want to continue to enjoy this thread.

Thank you again for all the positive helpful posters here you are keeping my life fun

Gary
Gary,
May this hobby provide you with MANY more years of fun and enjoyment!
-Patrick
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:26 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
5,012 Posts
Ditto Gary,hang in there buddy.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:29 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
Ditto Gary,hang in there buddy.
Chuck!
Good to see you here!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:54 PM
United States, CA, Walnut
Joined Sep 2006
757 Posts
Thanks guys

Things are going well so far Jan 31 will be one year since surgery. March I will get my first scan. They. Will watch me very close for awhile so any reoccurrence will show up early which helps my chances

Gary
Blusaber is offline Find More Posts by Blusaber
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:04 AM
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Jan 2013
131 Posts
Had my "maiden" yesterday, if you want to call it that.
TOTAL noob moment. I was really nervous and excited at the same time.
Took off, quickly came back around to land it. Why? Don't know, it was one of those wth moments.
came in to quick and hard and landing was bad. Broke the propeller.
No bigger, grabbed the same one but made by GWS at my LHS for a 1.25 a piece. Grabbed 5

I will give it a real shot as soon as the rain goes away.
lardo5150 is offline Find More Posts by lardo5150
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:07 AM
United States, NM, Deming
Joined Sep 2012
418 Posts
Which 1300 mah 3s battery are you guys using in the Gamma 370 Pro?
cervri is offline Find More Posts by cervri