HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:50 PM
Hoarding balsa is a sickness
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,196 Posts
Now for the upper body...which weighs 22.8 grams. I test fit the upper body and found it to come up just short, so I cut 3/32nds. of an inch off the front of each of the "tabs" and re-test fit. This allowed me to move the upper body back and forth to get the nose area perfect. When all is correct, it will stand on it's own.

I applied glue to the >sides< of the tabs, and the flat area at the bottom of the upper body, and a small bead to the wing and tail where the body will attach, pressed the parts together, removed, waited, then installed. Very important to get the nose correct again, quickly, as well as making sure the body is straight and fully pressed down. Walk away. Total weight is 119.7 grams.

Now the hobby room ( my wife calls it the "Balsa Vault" ) is starting to look like a "Slicko Day Care".
The Balsa Vault name was given after SHE found out that I am stashing over 1300 sheets of contest wood..... at least the kits are not in HER closet any longer. She has given me 2 great sons and 38 years of understanding.
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:02 AM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,196 Posts
After gluing the upper body on, I turned the plane over and glued the lower part of the fin to the lower body. Then I glued the 3 1/2 inch carbon rod to that joint, but I strayed from the directions a little. Factory says to insert the rod 1/2 inch into the foam and glue to the surface of the joint for strength. I cut into the joint a little, then placed the carbon rod, with a very sharp point, into the slot and pushed it foward and into the foam, when I glued the rod into the slot, I then squeezed the slot shut, like a hot dog in a bun.

Next I grabbed a pair of HS55 servos and arms ( 17.0 grams ) and cut them into the wing just a 1/4 inch behind the spar and tight to the body. I wanted just a little more room for a battery. Then I installed the 4 control horns that came with the kit into the pre-cut slots. Very nice contorl horns at 1.2 grams total, so I ordered several more sets just to have around...best I have found.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:08 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Neil,

This is the first look I've gotten at your workshop. It looks delightful. How can a modeler not love the hobby shop wall of Dubro parts? I hope to have an island-style workboard one day.

I recently built a Dynamic Foamy Yak-55. That was my first real foamy build. What a great plane it turned out to be. Venturing into the foamy world wasn't so painful after all!

Kody
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:35 PM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,196 Posts
Hey Kody, I hear what ya is saying, it's tough for us indoor rubber flyers to play with this "heavy" foam stuff, yes ??

I can very much recommend this Slicko kit.

This island work bench is on 4 casters, and it is custom built by me. The front drawers are for tools with pictures of each drawer to show me where the tools go, and the back side holds our precious, very light, hand selected, contest balsa...about 750 sheets worth, with the rest on the back wall, 9 feet high. The wall storage rack is for anything heavier than 7.0 Lbs./ Cu. FT density....YOU know what I am talking about !!
The main work bench is actually 2 working surfaces...a main bench 8 feet long for the big kits ( Mustang on the wall ) and a removable, 5 foot "insert" that is sound board on one side and hard board on the other side. It lifts off and stores against the wall below the dubro hardware. The other bench to the right was made by my dad in the early 50's and he was a cabinet maker, so it's pretty precise, and the top is a cement board...very tough. The rack in the background is for holding model kits 40 size and smaller, with the larger kits on shelves in the 2 car garage. The rack has 92 kits in it right now. There are times when I have no idea what I have, or where I put it...I just go sit on the porch and think about it. My wife hopes and prays that she dies befor me so she don't have to deal with it, her mother says "start a bon-fire and keep it burning. UGGGHHHH.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 08:42 PM
United States, NJ, Bergenfield
Joined Jun 2004
31 Posts
Slicko EPP 3D build thread

Hello all
Great build thread Maxxnut and sweet looking shop you have. When I flew my buddies Slicko for the first time, i knew i had to have one, i ordered one in red and a second one in yellow. I built mine about two months ago, they were the older ones with the carbon fiber spars. The posted directions were very good. At first i didn't plan on using the wing fences at all, however once the plane was finished, i thought it didn't look right without them. I decided to mount the fences and found that saving that step for last made the installation much easier, after the wing rods are glued in and dry, simply mark the mounting location on the wing, slide the fence flat along the wing to the marked location and rotate it up under the rods, this compresses the fence, take a single edge razor blade, place it parallel to each rod, and slice halfway down into the fence, push the rods down into the fence and secure with thin CA, job done, exact placement, no chance of making a miscut. I love this airplane, kudos to Kevin for developing a great flying, floaty airplane capable of anything you ask of it. Kevin and Andria are great people to do business with, fair prices, fast reasonable shipping, and attention to detail. Anyone buying this airplane won't be disappointed. Sorry for the long winded post, did i mention, i love this plane. Ron
propwash17 is offline Find More Posts by propwash17
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:21 PM
RC Keeps Me Sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,488 Posts
Well said Ron, Kevin and Andria are the best and so is the Slicko
DanBo3D is offline Find More Posts by DanBo3D
Old Jul 02, 2012, 11:16 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxnut View Post
Hey Kody, I hear what ya is saying, it's tough for us indoor rubber flyers to play with this "heavy" foam stuff, yes ??

I can very much recommend this Slicko kit.

This island work bench is on 4 casters, and it is custom built by me. The front drawers are for tools with pictures of each drawer to show me where the tools go, and the back side holds our precious, very light, hand selected, contest balsa...about 750 sheets worth, with the rest on the back wall, 9 feet high. The wall storage rack is for anything heavier than 7.0 Lbs./ Cu. FT density....YOU know what I am talking about !!
The main work bench is actually 2 working surfaces...a main bench 8 feet long for the big kits ( Mustang on the wall ) and a removable, 5 foot "insert" that is sound board on one side and hard board on the other side. It lifts off and stores against the wall below the dubro hardware. The other bench to the right was made by my dad in the early 50's and he was a cabinet maker, so it's pretty precise, and the top is a cement board...very tough. The rack in the background is for holding model kits 40 size and smaller, with the larger kits on shelves in the 2 car garage. The rack has 92 kits in it right now. There are times when I have no idea what I have, or where I put it...I just go sit on the porch and think about it. My wife hopes and prays that she dies befor me so she don't have to deal with it, her mother says "start a bon-fire and keep it burning. UGGGHHHH.
If you keep taunting about all that balsa, be prepared to wake up and find it gone!

I'm very impressed by your workbench-building skills. It must be a bit of a challenge design and make one. Thanks for telling me more about your workshop. I've always been curious.

Still loving that rubber stripper (non-free flighters, it's not what you think),
Kody
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:12 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by propwash17 View Post
Hello all
Great build thread Maxxnut and sweet looking shop you have. When I flew my buddies Slicko for the first time, i knew i had to have one, i ordered one in red and a second one in yellow. I built mine about two months ago, they were the older ones with the carbon fiber spars. The posted directions were very good. At first i didn't plan on using the wing fences at all, however once the plane was finished, i thought it didn't look right without them. I decided to mount the fences and found that saving that step for last made the installation much easier, after the wing rods are glued in and dry, simply mark the mounting location on the wing, slide the fence flat along the wing to the marked location and rotate it up under the rods, this compresses the fence, take a single edge razor blade, place it parallel to each rod, and slice halfway down into the fence, push the rods down into the fence and secure with thin CA, job done, exact placement, no chance of making a miscut. I love this airplane, kudos to Kevin for developing a great flying, floaty airplane capable of anything you ask of it. Kevin and Andria are great people to do business with, fair prices, fast reasonable shipping, and attention to detail. Anyone buying this airplane won't be disappointed. Sorry for the long winded post, did i mention, i love this plane. Ron
Quote:
Originally Posted by microDan View Post
Well said Ron, Kevin and Andria are the best and so is the Slicko
Thanks guys! I'll pass it on to Andria.

Great tip on the installing the wing fence Ron.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:32 AM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,196 Posts
As I was working in the shop today, the mail truck drove up, and look what he left at my table..
This guy Kevin sure knows how to get $$$ out of me.....really good stuff I don't mind paying for.

That white door is for the wood tool shed that I am >supposed to be < building at the moment.
Thanks for the candy BTW....
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:59 AM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,196 Posts
After the mail arrived, I went back to business. Starting with the plywood motor mount ( 3.1 grams), I enlarged the hole a little, marked lines on the body and the mount, and glued it on. The 4 foam pie shaped braces ( 2 tenths of a gram) were colored black on the sides and part way down the foward face, then installed. I recommend installing these with the glue wet to get a good position, then come back in 10 minutes and re-press into place.

The long, and not quite so long carbon rods ( 2.5 grams for both) are used for the rudder and elevator push rods. I made up the Z-bends, shrink tubes, and the all important, and often forgotten, pushrod guides, and got all of that mounted. there are lots of ways to do this step, and there is good advice on the PDF instructions. I did mount the carbon rods in such a way that the carbon rod is below the wire at each end of all of the pushrods. Think of the number 8 with a small circle ( the wire ) at the top, and a big circle ( the carbon rod ) at the bottom, then placed the heat shrink tube over the joint. The rudder pushrod is supported by the 2 guide plates mounted at 1/3 and 2/3rds rod length, with the foward plate inserted into the horizontal fuse, and the rear guide is inserted in the verticle fuse. On the elevator guide plates, both are inserted into the horizontal fuse. Try and keep the pushrods straight when installing the guides.

At this point, the plane weighs 5 1/4 ounces, and I still have a 1/4 tube of glue left including what was used to get the yellow one to the point of having all of the lower carbon bracing installed. Servos were secured with one drop of glue under each mounting tab...plenty good enough.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:20 AM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Good info, I was curious how far a tube of welders got with building. Also good idea painting the plywood and pie pieces black to match the paint scheme and the 2205c in the power combo. Might try that myself when I get mine.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Old Jul 03, 2012, 07:58 PM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,196 Posts
Worked more on it today, got the motor mounted and the rest of the stuff, reciever, ESC, ect. final weight with a 600 mah 2 cell was 226 grams / 8.03 ounces. Went outside between rain squalls and big down drafts and gave it a toss....It FLYS !! Nice bird in the wind, going backwards and down with the nose pointing up at 30 degrees was interesting. Loops are pivoted at the C of G. and it keeps rolling down to a walk. Flat turns are insane, now I got to learn how to hover.

During set up, I had to remove the aileron horn and move the linkage inboard a little, so I am glad that I gave a little thought to linkage set up. I was able to roll the servo horn foward and off the wires, then remove the wires from the aileron horns and adjust both to shorten the overal length of the linkage. See the pics for examples. Will get a video in a day or so when the weather calms down.

Thanks Kevin for your time in developing and R&D work on this plane, everything about the kit and the thought of design was apparent all during the build. The red kit that arrived went home with the new owner today, and we will have another build session first part of the week, and my son wants to finish his too.

I hope I did not bore some of you to tears with all my little details during the build, but I was hoping to reach some readers that might have been holding back from venturing into this aspect of the hobby, so thanks for staying with me.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:31 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to do a great build thread, I really appreciate it! This will really help other builders. I'm glad you like the Slicko. So far all the feedback I have received on it has been positive.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:52 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Great build Maxxnut. Although I'm going to order the wood version I'm sure this build will help. This plane will be my second build and I can't wait to get my hands on one. This is good stuff for newbies. Matter of fact I'm going to the website right now to see if they are back in stock.
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:43 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
FYI, Wood Slicko kits are back in stock.
Site Sponsor