HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2012, 01:42 AM
Croatia, City of Zagreb, Zagreb
Joined Apr 2012
23 Posts
Discussion
Setup for Techone Butterfly 3d

Hi,
im new in 3d flying and for my first model chose Butterfly 3d. In the meantime, while waiting for it to arrive, i asked to advise on the setup for it.
gradjanin is offline Find More Posts by gradjanin
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2012, 12:25 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
The Butterfly is a trainer, not a 3D plane?

This one, right? http://www.techonehobby.com/proview.asp?id=170

Or this one, that is discontinued? http://www.techonehobby.com/proview.asp?id=164

You will have to look at the plane before you set it up. The rule with 3D is "MAX everything" - so if you can 50-60 degrees of throw on every surface that is great, but some airframes don't allow that so you'll just have to look at it first. My Tech-one Yak-54 only allows about 45 degrees on the ailerons - it's just a limitation of the design.

Balance is critical, as is alignment - don't glue anything until you've measured it 5 times and make sure it's perfectly straight. The motor mounts on these leave a little to be desired - if you can work in a little right-thrust, do it. Get the CG exactly right - you'll need to fly to figure this out. If the plane can fly inverted and upright in level flight at about half throttle with no elevator input, then it's tail-heavy enough
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old May 14, 2012, 10:23 AM
Croatia, City of Zagreb, Zagreb
Joined Apr 2012
23 Posts
thx jasmine.
plane is 2nd,dicontinued model,but i think,enough4me..this is my 1st 3d plane and just it arive to me..nice looking but i see one dissapointed thing, place between fuselage and main wing is too big and have about 2mm gap...hmm

but like i say, nice model, very light and everything exept this gap is good assembled.

have my old art-tech cessna 182 setup (as-100 servos, c2830-21 brushless motor, 1300mah 2s lots of batery) and i think starting with this setup.

Q:how know measure limitation of movement for control surfaces? look butterfly design and i think is no limitation because all surfaces is attached to wings without any limiter of movement...but i think im just too green to know see this

anyway,before starting assembling and setups i pick up any possible instruction for this model...starting from your jasmine

thx again...must go now..butterfly call me
gradjanin is offline Find More Posts by gradjanin
Old May 14, 2012, 11:41 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
With foam planes, there will be gaps and little things like that because it can't be made to the tolerances of wood planes. Foam is... well, it's soft... so it can't be machined down to micro-measurements, so they have to make little gaps and stuff or you can't put it together. You may have to cut or sand some of the foam to get a good fit in some spots too... but before you do that, check everything carefully and make sure it's lined up as good as possible.

The Butterfly is a straight-wing 3D plane, like the old Twist, or the PA Addiction/X - the style of flying is very crisp, on those, unlike the swept-wing Extras and Yaks. That makes it a little more important to get the lateral balance and alignment perfect, but the straight wing is fairly easy to fly. Here's me just noodling around with the Addiction-X... this is relaxing with this plane, and the hard stuff is pretty easy too.

Addiction-X 2nd Flight (5 min 8 sec)
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501