HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2012, 02:10 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Hey guys, this a li'l OT but I'm trying to find something -- no joy but hoping somebody knows a source. I've got a plane that came with what I'll call 'T-Arms' on the servos. I really like the idea that you can induce mechanical differential by advancing or retarding 'throw' using the different holes in the tips.

I did a quick sketch-up to illustrate, but hole arrangement (count) might not be completely accurate. Anybody know where this 'T-Arm' type can be obtained?
SH,

I have received those on a couple of types of servos I have bought but never seen just the arm available for sale anywhere. You can accomplish the same thing using a wheel if you can find one to fit the splines of whatever servo you are using.

http://www.servocity.com/html/servo_arms___horns.html

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:49 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
Are you talking about aileron differential or rudder to aileron mix? To counter the adverse yaw I have mixed 30% differential and 40% rudder to aileron. Using aurora 9.
Thanks for the rudder to aileron mix info. Will give that a go but waiting for mother nature to co-operate as usual And me with a week on holiday!
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:10 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
SH,

I have received those on a couple of types of servos I have bought but never seen just the arm available for sale anywhere. You can accomplish the same thing using a wheel if you can find one to fit the splines of whatever servo you are using.

http://www.servocity.com/html/servo_arms___horns.html

Ted
Thx Ted.....and I had checked ServoCity already, too. I've actually looked everywhere I can think of & even some I just dredged up....not like me to not do my 'homework'. *LOL* But that 'wheel' idea might do the trick - thanks!

And for all the other comments, queries & quips.....short answer is, I'm using 'em for something else, & ease of adjustment w/o servo removal is the primary goal, & the 'intermediacy' (sp?) they'll provide, an added convenience. But first, I gotta find the darn things! Is there a thread (looked briefly) where they discuss these 'designing/building stuff' type things??

Back to Ted....you pull the trigger yet, bud? ETA? Can't wait to hear your P2K impressions!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Apr 18, 2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:17 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,677 Posts
And now, for something completely different........

Hey guys, afa lengthy motor runs & the resultant heat problems....I saw something touched upon elsewhere (offsite) which got me to thinking. (HEY, it happens!!) *LOL*

Might just be my half-arse memory but, can't say I exactly recall seeing a specific spec about the P2K being (?strictly?) a 3s-LiPo plane. What I'm wondering is, anybody ever tried a 2s pack? The lower voltage would present less heat problems....& maybe even better flight-time package thru a higher mAh tradeoff, weight-wise. Thoughts?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:26 PM
Certified Wingnut
Delta BC
Joined Jul 2008
362 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys, afa lengthy motor runs & the resultant heat problems....I saw something touched upon elsewhere (offsite) which got me to thinking. (HEY, it happens!!) *LOL*

Might just be my half-arse memory but, can't say I exactly recall seeing a specific spec about the P2K being (?strictly?) a 3s-LiPo plane. What I'm wondering is, anybody ever tried a 2s pack? The lower voltage would present less heat problems....& maybe even better flight-time package thru a higher mAh tradeoff, weight-wise. Thoughts?
My thoughts are.... It always comes back to it takes a certain amount of power (watts) to fly, with a powered glider, to climb to a sailing height. Power is equal to voltage times current. If we decrease the voltage, we have to increase the current to get the same amount of power. And power results in heat.

Lance
LanceMc is offline Find More Posts by LanceMc
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:47 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,677 Posts
Well of course you'd have less instantaneous or 'call-able' power - meaning you would have to climb more leisurely & it would take longer ( + ~50% if my headcalc's working right) to get to any given altitude. But you'd be using juice at a lower 'flow' rate (amperage) too, so by time you get to 'that' given altitude, you'd have used same amount of power/watts, less any efficiency differences. All meaning you'd produce same(-ish) amount of heat during the trip up -- but the advantage sought is to cut the peak heat. Right?

Of course, you could achieve the same effect by running at ~2/3 max throttle. Think about it.

(Got a little 'eye-opener' the EagleTree readings have revealed to me. For later, but wanted to hear some mindsets on the subject first.)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Apr 18, 2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:01 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,349 Posts
Another 2 quick questions..

How are you guys placing the outer servos?
Because as you know theese servos have the arm in one side of them

And i realiced that if i put the servo so the arm side its near the horn .. the suplied pushrod its too long and i have to screw the quick link full to get it centered.. but if i turn arround the servo and put the arm end at the oposite side i get more room.. i want to make sure before screwing up

Also.. how are you gluing the servos? i did it allready in a CloudsFly (foamie) and a SIG Ninja (not foamie but foam core wings) but here the servo sits well but seems to have lots of play.. im not sure if double side tape will hold it specially with the torsion needed to fully raise those ailerons
JLT_GTI is online now Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR 250 CloneOut FPV
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:36 PM
Certified Wingnut
Delta BC
Joined Jul 2008
362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
Another 2 quick questions..

And i realiced that if i put the servo so the arm side its near the horn .. the suplied pushrod its too long and i have to screw the quick link full to get it centered.. but if i turn arround the servo and put the arm end at the oposite side i get more room.. i want to make sure before screwing up

Also.. how are you gluing the servos? i did it allready in a CloudsFly (foamie) and a SIG Ninja (not foamie but foam core wings) but here the servo sits well but seems to have lots of play.. im not sure if double side tape will hold it specially with the torsion needed to fully raise those ailerons
I replaced all the stock servos with those HXT 900s after a stock servo failed on a pre-maiden check. I wrapped the servos in masking tape then used a drop of 5 min epoxy to hold them in place. I remember I had an issue with the servo/horn direction as well, but can't remember how I solved it. I'll check when I get home.
Lance
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:59 PM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2007
266 Posts
I just checked my wing. I use HXTs too. I placed the servo arm away from the aileron and used the short pushrod which made a perfect fit for me.

I donīt quite remember but Iīm pretty sure I hot glued mine in. As long as the servo fits kind of snug in the servo well I find hot glue to be the perfect adhesive. The snug fit in the well keeps the servo sturdy and in place and the glue mostly keeps the servo from dropping out. Hot glue is great because itīs easy to pry loose if you have to replace the servo later.
Freddan is offline Find More Posts by Freddan
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:42 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,738 Posts
Quote:
Thx Ted.....and I had checked ServoCity already, too. I've actually looked everywhere I can think of & even some I just dredged up....not like me to not do my 'homework'. *LOL* But that 'wheel' idea might do the trick - thanks!

And for all the other comments, queries & quips.....short answer is, I'm using 'em for something else, & ease of adjustment w/o servo removal is the primary goal, & the 'intermediacy' (sp?) they'll provide, an added convenience. But first, I gotta find the darn things! Is there a thread (looked briefly) where they discuss these 'designing/building stuff' type things??

Back to Ted....you pull the trigger yet, bud? ETA? Can't wait to hear your P2K impressions!
SH,

Yup. Took delivery several weeks ago in fact. I have all of the electronics and bits gathered and set aside but it's still in the build queue for now. Hangar space is another problem now as well.

On the servo horn issue again. If you can't find what you want or one to fit your servo, make one using an existing arm and some thin plywood. Here is an example of an offset dual arm as food for thought. If you only need a single arm, make it look like the one you pictured. Attach to the regular control arm with fine wire or two tiny screws. Harden the area around the holes where the push rod will go with CA.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:27 PM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
836 Posts
Secure servos

[QUOTE=JLT_GTI;21366921]Another 2 quick questions..

I put masking tape around bottom or side that lays in wing , then some up sides where they make contact with foam

Then I use RTV SILICONE , found at auto stores - which secures them. Let Silicone dry over night , later if you have to take em out ? easy to dig back out

.........te
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:43 PM
Certified Wingnut
Delta BC
Joined Jul 2008
362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceMc View Post
I replaced all the stock servos with those HXT 900s after a stock servo failed on a pre-maiden check. I wrapped the servos in masking tape then used a drop of 5 min epoxy to hold them in place. I remember I had an issue with the servo/horn direction as well, but can't remember how I solved it. I'll check when I get home.
Lance
Here are 3 pics of how I installed the wing servos. I installed the aileron servos with the control horns facing the wing tips and leading edge. I installed the flap servos with the control horns facing the trailing edge and both facing the same horizontal direction. I seem to remember carving out a little bit of foam on one of them.
Lance
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:54 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,349 Posts
Thanks all for the advises..

I put double side tape for the bottom and sides and driped CA where the servo made contact with the sides.. if any need arises in the future to replace/remove them using a razor for the sides should be enought.. im tempted to use also low temp hot glue to fill some gaps and reinforce a bit the join..

just finished the servo install..now only wiring remains.. wires are allready put but i think i will need some minor extensions to the Rx wich goes inside the fuselage.. one of the flap servos is short by like 1/2cm but i think i just need to carve that cm out of the foam ... or maybe add that couple cm extra wire.. for the rest seems to be done (tought i still havent mounted the wings even once yet) only placing and fixing internal components remains..

Now we only need the weather to give a truce the afternoon of saturday to have a maiden... its been raining for 2 weeks straight now
JLT_GTI is online now Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR 250 CloneOut FPV
Old Apr 19, 2012, 01:36 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2007
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceMc View Post
Here are 3 pics of how I installed the wing servos. I installed the aileron servos with the control horns facing the wing tips and leading edge. I installed the flap servos with the control horns facing the trailing edge and both facing the same horizontal direction. I seem to remember carving out a little bit of foam on one of them.
Lance
Thatīs exactly how I mounted my servos
Freddan is offline Find More Posts by Freddan
Old Apr 19, 2012, 03:43 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,677 Posts
One disparagiing note - don't expect to cut thru the cured CA adhesive later -- you'll have to cut away the foam around it.

I wrap servos with blue painter's tape - provides a little 'tooth' for the adhesive - then a pea-sized dollop of hot-glue to hold 'em in place. As Freddan said, hot glue makes later removal without damage a piece o' cake. That's at the home shop -- I also keep a roll of double-sided tape ('servo' tape, actually) in my field kit for a quick fix....tho in truth, I've loaned more of it out to others for fixes than I've used myself!

Silicon, I'd be cautious with -- some types of foam don't like it. A friend of mine used it extensively on a foamie 3D kit he built. Left it out in the garage to cure overnight when he finished building it, & when he went to get it next morning to take to the field, found basically a pool of sticky rubbery substance.

As with any untried material / adhesive combination, best advice is trial it first on an unaffected area! I know you've heard & read that a thousand times....but it's said that often for a reason.
RCG Plus Member