SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 19, 2003, 01:52 PM
Lakewood, Ca USA
Joined Feb 2003
43 Posts
Combatwing vs Wingwarrior vs Unicorn??

Looking for info on best performing electric all EPP wing.

Does anyone have experience with one or more of these flying wings? Combatwing, Unicorn, Wingwarrior or any other all EPP
wing out there.

I have a Combatwing XE2. It is my first electric plane; I have flown
it 2X so far. The first flight was short (broke prop) but I have purchase a hand full of props now (dah). On the second flight, I hit the ground several times (hard) before I was able to get some air speed and make it climb. After it was in the air it flew great!!!
Flew around for about 10mins, switched out battery pack and
flew another 10-12 minutes. If this wing was not made of all
EPP I definetly would have destroyed it. But it has taking a beating, and it only has a few wringles in the nose. I recommend
this wing to anyone that is new to flying wings.

Just wondering if anyone has experience on other style all EPP
wings to do some comparison.

later
Damian
Lakewood, California
dgoderich is offline Find More Posts by dgoderich
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2003, 03:45 PM
www.unicornwings.net
Shoreline WA USA
Joined Feb 2003
450 Posts
I love my planes (36", 42" and 48") but of course it is a biased opinion.

You should be hearing soon about other Unicorn flying adventures in this forum, as a bunch of members of this forum have ordered them within the last 10 days.

Mark
http://www.unicornwings.net
ActionCommander is offline Find More Posts by ActionCommander
Old Mar 19, 2003, 04:31 PM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Dec 2001
3,133 Posts
I have only flown the Raider from WingWarrior, because I didn't know about the Unicorn when I bought it. I like the design on both of the winge, but I like the motor mount on the Uni. I have also flown a Zagi, but there is no comparison. I will be watching this thread to see what other people think just in case I decide to get another wing in the future.

The Raider flies marvelously on the Mega 1615/4 and 8 cells. The wide cord wind give very nice power off capability for climb/glide and sloping.

Action: Do you take trade ins?

Mike
Smash McCrash is offline Find More Posts by Smash McCrash
Old Mar 19, 2003, 04:53 PM
Formerly CA now Missouri
Joined Sep 2001
555 Posts
Wing Warrior ALL THE WAY!!

Although I have not flown a Unicorn wing..... I have flown all of the Wing Warrior wings and my cobalt powered zipper is by far my fastest wing ever!
saint152 is offline Find More Posts by saint152
Old Mar 19, 2003, 04:56 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,480 Posts
I have a Zagi, a Razor and an FMA Razor.

The one I find that I fly the most is the FMA Razor.

The reason for this is that I have replaced the stock Speed 400 direct drive motor with a GWS 300C C-drive and an 8-6 prop.

Flying on 7 or 8, 500 mah Nicads, the plane is lightweight, can do large loops and nice rolls and inverted flight.

The motor is already timed so that as a pusher it is more efficient and I find the performance at half the current to be better than a direct drive Speed 400 and a Gunther prop.

Many wing owners seem to design their wings for speed. I was more interested in a lightweight parkflyer.

Although it is still too quick to be classified as a plane which can be flown indoors it has become my favorite.

It would be interesting to try this drive system on other wings.
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Last edited by Martyn McKinney; Mar 19, 2003 at 05:04 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 07:32 PM
Joined Mar 2003
6 Posts
epp combat wings epp E-wings

There is a guy who flies at the long beach bluff in california on Ocean Ave, and Redondo St. I think his name is Elijah, he makes really good Epp combat wings and Electric wings, and sells them for really cheap, the cheapest I have seen. I have two of his glider wings and one of his Electric wings. All of my friend flies his wings, they said they will never go back to the other wings. Let me tell you, these wings are the fastest, most aerobatic wings I have ever flown. I have tried Zagis, Wing warrior's, and weston's wing- none of these could compare to his wings. For the glider wing, I was able to fly invert for as long as I wanted to, I was able to do snap rolls, barrel rolls, inside and OUTSIDE LOOPs, it has no tendencies to stall out when you make sharp turns, and it is the perfect wing for combating in my opinion. It is just so fast compare to the other wing, best of all I was able to use all standard equipment and still be able to fly in very very light wind.
I think his glider wing is called the STING-RAY, and his electric wing is called the E-dge. I don't have his web or email address but if you live nearby Long beach you can come down to the bluff, he flies out there every weekend , he usually gets out there at around 12-4pm. Oh, as for the electric one, it is freakin fast that is with a stock speed 400. And snap rolls, inside/outside loops, and inverted flight is a snap.
speedflyer is offline Find More Posts by speedflyer
Old Mar 19, 2003, 07:42 PM
Joined Mar 2003
6 Posts
epp glider, electric wings

I got Elijah's email address if any body wants to reach him. It HPflyingwings@yahoo.com
speedflyer is offline Find More Posts by speedflyer
Old Mar 19, 2003, 07:43 PM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Dec 2002
298 Posts
A friend of mine has owned and flown a Combat Wings XE2, Wing Warrior eSlayer, Zagi 400X, and others. Unfortunately, he hasn't flown the Unicorn. Anyway, he was amazed by the performance of the eSlayer. It is his wing of choice now. The price was right at $50 for the kit from the local Hobby Town.

I just bought one myself!

Mike
MikeDPP is offline Find More Posts by MikeDPP
Old Mar 19, 2003, 09:02 PM
Got helium filled wings?
arvada,co.
Joined Dec 2002
210 Posts
wing world

www.mmglidertech.com wedgie 34"
www.speedwing.net mini 24"
www.wingwarrior.com zipper 36"
www.flyingfoam.com cheapshot 48"
www.combatwings.com XE2 48"
www.unicornwings.net unicorn 48"
www.harborside.com/~birdworks/bwhome.htm TILDE 26"

Direct 280, Projeti, PAF, FOGO, Starjet, Twinjet all come from Hobby-Lobby

personally the flying foam ones are cheapest and made from EPS which does not require a spar or reinforcment to the wing
just glue a EPP bumper to LE and fly
airboss is offline Find More Posts by airboss
Last edited by airboss; Mar 19, 2003 at 09:06 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 09:21 PM
Ohio Wapak
Joined Feb 2002
3,710 Posts
What is the best wing to go real slow and cruse around with but can do rolls like it is no tomorrow???
thor4944 is offline Find More Posts by thor4944
Old Mar 19, 2003, 10:33 PM
Joined Mar 2003
25 Posts
Wingwarrior!

Wingwarriors fly great! I have an E-Zipper, E-Slayer, and E-Raider and they all fly great with a stock 400 motor. The Raider is a little sluggish if you go with a 400 motor, but if a Graupner 480BB is used, it handles like a smaller wing and is very fast. A 480BB Graupner motor does very well if you would like to upgrade ESC and motor. A Zagi ESC might work on the smaller wings with this motor, but probably not the Raider, since it has a root chord of almost 16". My Slayer is the fastest 4-foot wing I have flown on a stock 400 motor, and the best handling. I have not purchased a Unicorn yet, but to be honest, I doubt it could fly any better than the Wingwarrior line. I have not seen or flown a wing than flies as well as a Wingwarriors do. Though, I am a little curious to know how the Unicorn Wings fly. The Unicorn uses the same pack as I run in my Zipper, an 8 cell AA. For $50, I will probably order one just to put it to the test. It couldn't be that bad, I'm sure.
travisar15 is offline Find More Posts by travisar15
Old Mar 19, 2003, 11:20 PM
www.unicornwings.net
Shoreline WA USA
Joined Feb 2003
450 Posts
If the Slayer has the prop right next to the trailing edge as it seems to show on their site, it won't be as efficient as the Unicorn. Also the Slayer is $80 + shipping without cover tape or fiber tape. Unicorn is $50, free shipping, with cover tape, fiber tape, holographic film and a fully enclosed motor system.

- Mark
ActionCommander is offline Find More Posts by ActionCommander
Old Mar 19, 2003, 11:44 PM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Dec 2002
298 Posts
The eSlayer can be found at my local Hobby Town for $50 + tax, but the Unicorn does sound like a good deal with the fiber tape and covering material included.

Mike
MikeDPP is offline Find More Posts by MikeDPP
Old Mar 19, 2003, 11:47 PM
United States, MI, Plymouth Township CDP
Joined Apr 2002
991 Posts
This is a repeat of a previous post of mine

I noticed a couple pages back there was a discussion on the cost's of wings. This is a Wing Warrior e-slayer. I built this for my 8 year old nephew. He paid for it and I built it for him. We order 1 wing core set with a carbon spar and a pair of elevons for $41 total. When the shipment came to my house I opened it and found wing cores, carbon spar,elevons, winglets, and a Wing Warrior hat. That's a great bargain for $41. I supplied all the other hardware thats required.
We flew it for the first time today. flew great. This photo is after my nephew plowed it into the ground 4 times. 4 very hard crashes. He is doing very well with flying. I launch it and take it up and then I hand it over to him. He crashes only if he looses orientation of the plane. He can fly inverted on the simulator- but he hasn't tried it on a real plane yet.
The wing core's from Wing Warrior I recieved were superb. The CG from there website says 6.5" from the tip. the plane flies at this CG point. But we liked the planes behavior a little more at 6.75".
The wing cores are hot wire cut EPP.

The $41 includes shipping

Thanks
chiefwinston
chiefwinston is offline Find More Posts by chiefwinston
Old Mar 20, 2003, 12:07 AM
United States, MI, Plymouth Township CDP
Joined Apr 2002
991 Posts
My heavily modified El-Bee

I ditched the canopy, buried the battery, and changed the motor to a 480. I'm getting 6 1/2 minutes of full throttle flight times with 8 HEcells.

chow
chiefwinston
chiefwinston is offline Find More Posts by chiefwinston