HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2004, 09:30 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
LiPo cutoff question.

I have a question about the 3V cutoff voltage level of LiPo batteries. Okay, so the ESC cuts off the voltage when it reaches the cutoff voltage, but is power still supplied to the receiver and servos for landing?

Does the ESC allow for a few short bursts of throttle after the inital cutoff?
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2004, 09:36 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
I have a question about the 3V cutoff voltage level of LiPo batteries. Okay, so the ESC cuts off the voltage when it reaches the cutoff voltage, but is power still supplied to the receiver and servos for landing?
Yes. Power is still supplied to the rcvr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
Does the ESC allow for a few short bursts of throttle after the inital cutoff?
This depends on the brand of ESC, but usually this is the case.
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Oct 12, 2004, 04:33 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
All ESCs that I've ever used will let you re-arm them (usually throttle down and then back up) as many times as you want after LVC. Whether or not there are any more short bursts of throttle left in the pack is completely up to the pack.

For exapmple, you are flying around full bore and hit LVC. The pack was in a heavily loaded condition so voltage sagged because of the load. You will be able to fly at lower throttle settings for quite some time. But if you are flying at low throttle settings initially the voltage drop will be minimal. Hitting LVC at this point will necessitate flying at a lower throttle setting than before. So you may not have enough power to line up for a landing.

In essence, once you hit LVC you will not be able to achieve a throttle setting at or above the setting when LVC was indicated. It's the law of diminishing returns from that point forward.
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1