SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 18, 2014, 02:34 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor Charter Township
Joined Mar 2012
1,158 Posts
Discussion
Problem with Solar Servos D654 from XHeli

Well I do not normally order from XHeli any more for a number of reasons.
I was in a hurry last week and needed 3 digital metal gear cyclic servos for a flybarless 450.
And already I think I've made a mistake.
All 3 servos have a grinding noise toward one endpoint really bad like when you
have stripped gears in a broken servo.
They still move but I am getting that grinding at the end, it's a little different but very similar on all 3 servos.
You get the grinding noise+ feel when turned by power (RX) or if you turn them by hand.
I'm not really sure I can trust these on a helicopter for very long.
I've worked with a lot of different servos and do not normally have this grinding issue at the endpoints unless the gears are stripped or not meshing.
I've already opened up the servos to see if it was the commonly reported problem that these ship bad with no support for the motor and that the motor
slides down, this is not the problem.

I also really don't have time to spend sending things back and waiting for
replacements, it really upsets me that I have to go through this kind of hassle
when they should be quality checked before leaving XHeli in the first place.

Can somebody please check stock on these at XHeli and let me know?
There's definitely a problem with them.
I've already ordered other servos elsewhere because I need them.
It looks liek the time and money I spent ordering these from Xheli was wasted.
Frustrating, and It's like I knew better before I made this mistake.
N8LBV is offline Find More Posts by N8LBV
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:36 AM
HobbypartZ Support
Joined Jul 2011
366 Posts
I'll go grab a couple and check them, will update you afterwards.
RaidenCharlie is online now Find More Posts by RaidenCharlie
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:59 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,158 Posts
Thanks I appreciate this.
I have them installed on a helicopter but don't really trust them because of this grinding, not flown or crashed it yet.
I also opened up each servo and looked to make sure the motor had not slid down
in the case which seems to be reported in a lot of reviews on these servos.
That does not seem to be a problem, there is a small piece of foam in there.

But I have the grind/slipping sound and feel all around the servo endpoints.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 03:35 PM
HobbypartZ Support
Joined Jul 2011
366 Posts
I got 3 brand new D654 from the warehouse and tested it and didn't have the grinding issue that you're experiencing. I did get the typical slight buzzing for digital servos but no grinding. I'm not using a computer radio where you can adjust the end points though. I spoke to our pilot Roland and he said that maybe the endpoints might be set higher than what the servo might be able to travel and this why you're getting the towards the one endpoint.
Last edited by RaidenCharlie; Mar 19, 2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 06:07 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,158 Posts
I notice the grinding much more while manually cranking the servos by hand (carefully) from end to end.
not when under power.
If you could please try that as well you might see what I am talking about.
The grinding is only toward one of the ends but is happening at the same end (same direction) on all 3 in a similar fashion.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:02 PM
HobbypartZ Support
Joined Jul 2011
366 Posts
When I turn the input of the servo from end to end one of the D654 feels sort of gritty, I can count about 3 spots where this is happening. It's happening towards one of the end.

If you don't want the servos I'll give you a return shipping label to return them for a refund, I just need your order number for the servos and I'll go ahead and process the return.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:34 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,158 Posts
Yes you have found the problem I am referring to.
I want good working digital metal gear servos that are not pending failure.
Can you?:

1. Assure me these are not defective and pending a failure in flight? (why are they doing this)
(and why are you selling them like this?)
-or-
2. Replace them with good quality digital metal gear servos that meet the spec these
are supposed to be at. (I spent extra money for digital and metal gears) and speed.

I spent extra money on these because of what they are supposed to be AND I paid ~$10 shipping.
I expect better than this.
I just want to go fly, I hate being stuck in waiting loops or wasting time/money.
If I order from XHELI ever again I wish just to be taken care of and sent proper quality working products and not be hassled with waiting, delays or having to return defective stuff.

Thanks!
Steve

Order# is: 2259870
Old Mar 21, 2014, 12:03 PM
HobbypartZ Support
Joined Jul 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8LBV View Post
1. Assure me these are not defective and pending a failure in flight? (why are they doing this)
(and why are you selling them like this?)
I hope you don't get offended by this, my answers is based on how I feel like your questions were asked.

I cannot assure you anything, I'm not within the pay grade where I can assure anyone anything. If the item crashes and you suspect it to be the servos I will not be able to reimburse you out of my own pocket. I have no idea why they might be doing this the since the factory themselves have their own QC and we get them already tested. I don't sell anything, I'm just an employee of this company that answers customer inquires.

Quote:
2. Replace them with good quality digital metal gear servos that meet the spec these are supposed to be at. (I spent extra money for digital and metal gears) and speed.
Like I mentioned the items comes pre-tested and should of met the specs that the manufacturer has put forth, now if you want to use the D654 on your rig the best thing I can personally do is get another and test it out and have it sent out to you.

Quote:
I spent extra money on these because of what they are supposed to be AND I paid ~$10 shipping.
I expect better than this.
I just want to go fly, I hate being stuck in waiting loops or wasting time/money.
If I order from XHELI ever again I wish just to be taken care of and sent proper quality working products and not be hassled with waiting, delays or having to return defective stuff.

Thanks!
Steve

Order# is: 2259870
If you're not happy with the servos I'm more than happy to process a return for them.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 11:17 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,158 Posts
NO offense.
Do you have any that are NOT doing the grinding problem at the ends?
Old Mar 22, 2014, 11:21 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,158 Posts
I also feel it would be proper and the right thing to do if you would contact the manufacturer where you get the servos from and ask them about the grinding problem at the ends.
Seriously if these are defective you do not want to be selling them like this and I would hope
you would want to work with where the servos come from to get the issue corrected.
That is what I think.. I'm not offended. I'm inconvenienced.
Last edited by N8LBV; Mar 23, 2014 at 06:06 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:52 AM
HobbypartZ Support
Joined Jul 2011
366 Posts
From what I can see on the actual shipping box that we receive from the manufacturer the servos are made by Batan, I will see if I can get in contact with them. Management is the only ones that contact the manufacturer so I might not be able to get a answer.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 04:27 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidenCharlie View Post
Management is the only ones that contact the manufacturer so I might not be able to get a answer.
In this case do you not think that "management" should get - and would want to get an answer?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 04:32 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,158 Posts
Please also speak with "management".
Thanks.

But seriously do you want to continue selling these servos if there is a possible problem with them?

I would *think* you or management or both would want to get to the bottom of "what is that grinding at the ends" and should it be resolved.

No other servos I have have ever made grinding noises and had that rough feeling like the gears are stripped as these ones do.
I get that feeling/sound in plastic gear servos after they have been crashed/stripped.

I'd also like for you to send me a good set of servos once you have an answer on these.
Thanks.

If I have to go thrugh the trouble of sending the bad ones back , I would expect to be sent
a good working set of fast digital servos that meet the speed spec I was sold and no grinding.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:35 AM
HobbypartZ Support
Joined Jul 2011
366 Posts
I'm sending you a PM.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 01:04 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,158 Posts
Thanks @RaidenCharlie

And I just want to take a moment here to note and mention that RaidenCharlie sent me a very
helpful and caring PM.
And far as I'm able to tell is doing everything he can to get to the bottom of this concern.
He's going above and beyond what he has to do to make this right for me.
Again, Thank You!