SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 17, 2014, 06:07 PM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,552 Posts
Question
What is your favorite 500mah lipo ?

Weather warming up, getting close to taking my 2S and 3S 500mah lipos out of storage. Most of my foamy 3D fleet use this size and I have at least a dozen of them. During the season I fly 2-3 times a week and usually keep all my batteries fully charged ( ya,I know ), but when the wind is down and the temps are up...I go fly'n....

Have some Nano-Techs, Gens Ace, G-Force, Turnigy and Rhinos. I know some will not survive my 5 minute fly'n test and will be replaced.

Curious to know if anyone else abuses their batteries by keeping them fully charged so they can spend their time flying instead of charging. What lipo in the 2S & 3S 500mah range has worked out for you ?

RonJ
RonJ is offline Find More Posts by RonJ
Last edited by RonJ; Feb 18, 2014 at 08:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2014, 04:27 PM
Joined Aug 2006
340 Posts
I can't really add to this discussion as I have only gone one season with my G-Force 2S and 3S 500mah 30c 'zzzzz (Value Hobby - Illinois). They performed quite well and seemed to hold up for one season. But, I do strictly charge them a couple of hours before flying and immediately go back to storage charge in the evening. This is done quickly as they are flight depleted anyway. I also use a flight timer to avoid "power off end of flights".

I'm going to buy more G-Forces this spring of different sizes for larger models 800mah, 1800mah & 2200mah.

Questions: since you keep yours fully charged how do they perform over the flying season in Wisconsin? Can you get more than one year out of them? 2 or 3 years, etc??
Thanks
Garyss is offline Find More Posts by Garyss
Last edited by Garyss; Feb 18, 2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 05:30 PM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,552 Posts
Garyss,

So far, the Rhinos are winning my abuse contest, followed by the G-Force. Both my Rhinos are over 2 years old, The G-Forces are only 1 year old but still deliver 5 minutes. The Gens Ace and Nano's were strong at first but are now failing the 5 minute test. The Turnigy is over 2 years old and is ready for retirement.

RonJ
Old Feb 19, 2014, 05:16 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,811 Posts
More expensive initially, but economical in the long run because of the number of cycles. I use the TP 325 and 450 packs. You can charge them at 10C, no need to keep them charged. You can get away with as little as 3 packs with the quick charge rate, one flying, one charging, one ready for the next flight.

They also have and advantage of maintaining voltage throughout the flight instead of a steady decline of voltage that I generally see in my Gens Ace packs.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:12 PM
United States, IA, Council Bluffs
Joined Dec 2011
51 Posts
Check out EP Buddy. Gary's glacier packs are awesome. I have the 460 3s packs and then 3300 6s as well. About the same price as HK stuff but much better IMO.
cardenflyer is offline Find More Posts by cardenflyer
Old Feb 19, 2014, 06:40 PM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,552 Posts
Glaciers are on my short list. Reports look good.

Azarr's info makes sense too. If your goal is to get as much fly'n time in without having to wait for a re-charge, the more expensive TP's are a good choice. Especially if they survive more than one season. Must remember my 2 year old 2s-610 Rhinos cost less than $5 and are still going....

RonJ
Old Feb 20, 2014, 04:58 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,811 Posts
May have just been a fluke, but I bought two 2S Glacier Packs at the NEAT Fair in Sep and by Dec they were done. I do have a few Gens Ace packs that have held up pretty well, but also had a few of them go early. I do fly a lot though.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Feb 20, 2014, 07:47 AM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,552 Posts
Azarr,

Sorry to hear that on the Glaciers as I was ready to try out a few---still might.

What is a good source for the Thunder Powers?

RonJ
Old Feb 20, 2014, 08:36 AM
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jan 2009
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJ View Post

What is a good source for the Thunder Powers?

RonJ
Ron,

You can check out: www.rclipos.com. The lowest prices and FREE shipping!

John
STLAV8R is offline Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:41 AM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,552 Posts
Thanks John,

Checked it out and experienced a little "sticker shock".... $23.99 for a 3S-480---whew !... I have used TP's before in the 3S-2200 size. ( Took advantage of the 1/2 swap price at SEFF). One worked out and the other did not, got big time puffy on me.

Think I will stick to buying 5 0f the $5 el-cheapo brands.

RonJ
Old Feb 20, 2014, 12:21 PM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Jan 2013
385 Posts
These have held up well for me and I abuse my small cheap lipos. I keep them fully charged in the fridge and they seem to hold up very well. Lower IR on these packs than any of my other brands.

https://www.aero-model.com/4_157_164...M450-2S30.html
RKevinEstes is offline Find More Posts by RKevinEstes
Old Feb 20, 2014, 12:31 PM
Kansas City, MO
Joined Jan 2000
697 Posts
+1 on the Glaciers. They have been the best for me.
Jerry Brown is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Brown
Old Mar 01, 2014, 09:04 PM
United States, VA, Monroe
Joined Jan 2013
11 Posts
I give my vote to nano-techs
charliewilson is offline Find More Posts by charliewilson
Old Mar 01, 2014, 10:29 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,881 Posts
Congratulations on your style - It's the only way to fly - keep em charged - nothing worse than a buddy calling any evening with - hey, got an hour of light left, lets go fly. My most used batteries are 500ma 3 cells - I only have 460 nanotech and 500 zippy compacts. No trouble with either in this size, but have lost a couple of nanotech's in 2200ma. Just went out last weekend and flew 5 500ma zippy's that were charged up only 2 months or so ago and went 6 minutes on each of them without any pulse or lvc. Of course, charged them right up that afternoon so if the weather ever lets up for an hour or so, I can jump out there again. I see no reason to pay $25 for batteries the way I abuse them. If I can get a couple of years out of $5-$6 ones, I'm perfectly happy. Never had a problem doing that so far. Some weeks I only get to fly 2 or 3 days and even then have to pick the times and be ready to fly in a minute, so no time to be charging batteries when the window of opportunity hits.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Mar 02, 2014, 01:31 AM
Su-27's Rule!
Philippines, NCR, Pasig City
Joined Nov 2012
698 Posts
Another for glacier batts mine are still fine.
Su-33 is offline Find More Posts by Su-33
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A cheap way to measure Kv