HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2001, 03:18 AM
Flying Free
Utah
Joined Aug 2001
1,938 Posts
Which to ask Santa for? PJC or TJ

Which should I get? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each? I have been flying /crashing a skyscooter pro with gear box to learn on. I have a Flash 5x radio i can use. i don't mind spending extra for a good plane. i need to go with the EPP because I still crash when trying some manuevers. I have about 12 speed 400 7.2 volt motors I could use, or I don't mind buying whatever is best.
Thanks for the input.
Eric
erashby is offline Find More Posts by erashby
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2001, 03:23 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,759 Posts
As neither the CPJ nor the TJ is made form EPP - I recommend you wait until you stop crashing. What about a Twin-Star (aileron trainer) or the Tipsy to hone your piloting skills? Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Dec 15, 2001, 03:00 PM
Lucas, Texas
Joined Aug 2000
163 Posts
Have you looked for either of these planes yet, I think you will find them next to impossible to find. I hope Santa has a connection with Multiplex overseas, if not you may be SOL in the states.

You might consider a Gasp "Zagi"
FWIW,
Crash King is offline Find More Posts by Crash King
Old Dec 15, 2001, 05:11 PM
Fish & Fly
Tyler, TX USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,406 Posts
As fast planes go, the TJ is pretty predictable and stable. However, things will happen MUCH faster with the TJ than with your Scooter.

Also, it tends to slow down alot in a steep turn without power (like on approach) which can lead you to stall/spin trouble.

The PCJ or a Zagi might be a good next step. If you're going to fly on 8 cells, use the 6V speed 400 and the MAS 5.5x4.5 prop.
DaJudge is offline Find More Posts by DaJudge
Old Dec 17, 2001, 03:29 PM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Jun 2001
220 Posts
I see no reason why the TJ is not suitable for a second plane. It is quite quick, but very stable and manouverable, plus the increased size puts them both on an even par I believe. I've never managed to stall or spin one yet.

Although not actually made of EPP, they material they are made of has similar qualities and both very, very durable. Also repairs are easily done in seconds with CA and activator which is not the case for EPP.
Anks is offline Find More Posts by Anks
Old Dec 17, 2001, 04:15 PM
That should fly!
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Oct 2001
2,406 Posts
Buy a viper!!! These things go fast when you want them to, and the slow down to a crawl. They are not as crash worthy as a Zagi, but they are durable, and that twin sound sounds sooooo sweet. Sounds a bit like a Le Man's car at 145mph

www.jetsetairplanes.com

James
Admiral_Red is offline Find More Posts by Admiral_Red
Old Dec 17, 2001, 05:47 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,573 Posts
I'm with Jurgen, if you're still crashing a Sky Scooter then it's probably not yet time to move on to a fast aileron model!
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Dec 17, 2001, 06:29 PM
Lucas, Texas
Joined Aug 2000
163 Posts
I think you guys must assume I am kidding, You might want to actually look for one first. This close to Xmas you will probably be openning an empty box if you think you are going to run down to the LHS and pick one up. Unless you are in the UK or Europe of course.

FWIW
Crash
Crash King is offline Find More Posts by Crash King
Old Dec 17, 2001, 08:16 PM
Fish & Fly
Tyler, TX USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,406 Posts
Crash is, unfortunately, quite correct about the TJ shortage in the U.S.

Maybe someone at the Multiplex shipping dept. messed up on their computer and typed UK instead of US, thus sending all of the TJ kits intended for America to the Brits instead!! Could it be that the same thing happened to all the 450 Turbo motors too?

I certainly wouldn't mind picking up another TJ since mine is one of the originals with the extra reflex and it's been used for combat/generally abused.

Anyone know of a good shop in the mother country that will ship a TJ to the colonies at a reasonable cost??
DaJudge is offline Find More Posts by DaJudge
Old Dec 17, 2001, 10:48 PM
Manila Ninoy Intl, Philippines
Joined Nov 2001
1,314 Posts
Buy the 4-pack!!!

The quote from a post by C.Mulder

"
just stumbeled over this german website that offers the mpx twin jet in 4 packs
http://www.modellmax.de/shop/5444.htm

price 666 dm (four pack) "

Some Hobby shops in Germany stock the PCJ and TJ in 4 packs. It is aimed at club purchases. There is a small price saving when you get the 4 pack.

Why not get together, one of you order the 4 pack and you all split the shipping from Germany, plus pay the individual shipping here in the US. Good time to order some 450 turbo motors as well and other hard to get Multiplex bits. Make sure they REMOVE the 16% VAT off the price since it is an export sale!!!!

You can also try to order the USA decal sets for the TJ!!!!!! The MPX part number is 72 4100 USA. Probably a box full of them back at MPX.

I suspect Multiplex USA overstocked on the A+B+C combo, which is attractively priced for dealers, when what the US market really wants is the basic kit.
deadduck is offline Find More Posts by deadduck
Last edited by deadduck; Dec 17, 2001 at 11:06 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2001, 11:19 PM
Joined Dec 2001
42 Posts
This is kinda funny. Then again....The one plane I decide a month ago I have to have for a change of pace from the zagi (from reading this board) is a TJ. Then I look. And look. My wife decides to get it for me for Christmans (bless her heart) and cant find one. Anywhere! She has called all hobby stores in a 300 mile radius, called Al's hobbies in England, and become friends with Karlton at Multiplex USA. She has every hobby store owner in all of Southern California on alert.
I appreciate the work, and am very lucky, but I just cant figure out why Multiplex doesnt see the light and start pumping out some kits....I mean, isnt this just supply vs. demand? I dont get it. What an awsome product - word it out, people want them, and every day is a lost sale.
I do look forward to the first day of opening the kit. What a glorious day that will be.
timd99 is offline Find More Posts by timd99
Old Dec 18, 2001, 04:53 AM
Joined Nov 2000
11,573 Posts
There are probably loads of dealers in the UK that would be happy to ship a TJ (or Cargo) if you don't work out the 4-pack scheme.

Al's Hobbies are the cheapest I've seen for the TJ kit - £59.95, including 17.5% VAT (UK sales tax). Knock that off and it comes to about USD 74.40 if my maths is right!

http://www.alshobbies.com/

But here are a few others who carry the TJ:

SMC:

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/

West London Models:

http://www.westlondonmodels.co.uk/

Slough RC Models, no website but phone +44 1753 522222

Steve Webb Models:

www.stevewebb.co.uk

Bagnalls:

www.bagnallsmodels.co.uk

HTH
Last edited by Bill Glover; Dec 18, 2001 at 05:00 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2001, 07:39 AM
Tel Aviv-Yafo Sde Dov, Israel
Joined Apr 1999
1,877 Posts
do not forget galaxy models, excellent service - http://www.galaxymodels.co.uk/
oded mazor is offline Find More Posts by oded mazor
Old Dec 18, 2001, 08:23 AM
Joined Nov 2000
11,573 Posts
Yes, you're right - Galaxy are also good ... I got my Cockpit MM tx from them.
Old Dec 18, 2001, 03:44 PM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Jun 2001
220 Posts
Inwood Models http://www.inwoodmodels.co.uk are extremely competitive and always give good service
Anks is offline Find More Posts by Anks