HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2013, 01:57 PM
Learning to Ride Dragons
Joined Feb 2013
522 Posts
Discussion
New FrSky XJT Module with X8R = 16 Channel Problems!

I have a real puzzler and not many people will be able to comment on it because very few of you will have the combination I'm speaking of, so maybe there will just be some general ideas. I'm writing this in the hope that someone who owns this brand new combo will find it and respond.

In short: I am getting no telemetry from the new X8R FrSky receiver (16 channel) when used with the new XJT module (plugged into the back of the 9X using er9x).

Because FrSky has a very complicated naming scheme, let me shorten it.

NEW Rx = X8R 16-channel receiver.
NEW Tx = XJT 16 channel JR style transmitter module.
OLD Rx = D8R II-Plus 8-channel receiver
OLD Tx = DJT 8-channel transmitter module.

All of these are telemetry enabled and I have tested the telemetry with both the er9x internal telemetry readout and the FrSky FLD-02 external screen.

NEW Rx + OLD Tx = Telemetry
OLD Rx + NEW Tx = Telemetry
OLD Rx + OLD Tx = Telemetry
NEW Rx + NEW Tx = NO Telemetry.

So basically what I'm saying is that FrSky's brand new 16 Channel system doesn't seem to be working with itself! And yet each part of the system succeeds when using other combinations. So I can't trace the problem to any one component!

The manufacture date on the back of my XJT module shows July 19, so this stuff is very, very new. Hopefully someone else is having a similar issue and can help.

Thanks,

DJ Kinney
aka SkyrimDragon
SkyrimDragon is offline Find More Posts by SkyrimDragon
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2013, 02:26 PM
12th Pursuit Squadron
Garland, Tx.
Joined Mar 2002
1,101 Posts
I get telemetry when using the X8R with my Taranis which has the same board as in the XJT module, just built into the radio. I am not sure what is is going on with your setup, perhaps an issue with the new 'Smart Port' protocol and the FLD-02 and er9x. They might lock into the new protocol when using the NEW Rx and NEW mosule. I wonder if it would work if you flashed your transmitter to the latest version of OpenTx.

J.P.
TheAeronut is offline Find More Posts by TheAeronut
Old Aug 10, 2013, 02:31 PM
Learning to Ride Dragons
Joined Feb 2013
522 Posts
That's smart. It's a step I haven't taken. But it shouldn't make a difference. The Tx/Rx on the serial port goes straight out from the transmitter module to the FLD-02. But maybe. I'll try to reflash the 9x.

I have confirmed that everything works with the Taranis. Others have told me so. But I can't take at face value that the Taranis interior is the same as the XJT. There could be a firmware difference.

NOTE: Speaking of which, I just saw a firmware update for the X8R dated August 5. Can anyone confirm this?
Old Aug 10, 2013, 06:24 PM
cae
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined May 2012
26 Posts
I have noticed the same thing as SkyrimDragon, I just assumed the telementry was only available on the Smart Port.

The other thing I have not been able to enable is PXX on the XJT.

I have tried the latest version of er9x and opentx, still no luck with PXX, has anyone else got it to work?
cae is offline Find More Posts by cae
Old Aug 10, 2013, 07:30 PM
Learning to Ride Dragons
Joined Feb 2013
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cae View Post
I have noticed the same thing as SkyrimDragon, I just assumed the telementry was only available on the Smart Port.

The other thing I have not been able to enable is PXX on the XJT.

I have tried the latest version of er9x and opentx, still no luck with PXX, has anyone else got it to work?
CAE...first I want to say that I'm sorry it isn't working for you. But I'm also glad that I'm not the only one!

O.K., so on the X8R, the most basic telemetry I'm looking for is RSSI. That is enabled for all of these FrSky receivers and transmitters and when I hook it up, I just get a flat zero.

As for the Smart Port, I have a Smart Port vario sensor and it does not work with this combo. It does not pass the old hub-based telemetry through either.

Here's the weird thing, though. The X8R does send Smart Port telemetry, old telemetry, and RSSI when I bind it to the DJT module. Similarly, the XJT module reads telemetry from older receivers.

So there is definitely something wrong here. Everyone reports that there are no problems with X8R and Taranis. That means this combo SHOULD be working.

As for PXX, it's possible that this is part of the same problem. XJT firmware that wasn't fully baked or something.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 09:13 PM
Learning to Ride Dragons
Joined Feb 2013
522 Posts
I'm ready to flash the new firmware to the XJT and 8XR (if my home-built cable is correct). But before I do, has anyone else done it? The firmware came out on 5 August, so just a week ago. I just don't want to reinvent the wheel.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 09:58 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,663 Posts
DJ - I have some smart port cables, but it sounds like you have it figured out already. The cable is pretty simple, just make sure you get the diode in the right direction.

Don't worry about damage, you are covered! I just want to see you get it up and running.

As mentioned, I'd do this for you, but I'm out of XJTs right now.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Taranis Front Shell Swap
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:10 PM
cae
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined May 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
As for PXX, it's possible that this is part of the same problem. XJT firmware that wasn't fully baked or something.
That is pretty much the same as I am finding.

I forgot to mention earlier I have tried on both 9x (telemetry modified) and Sky9x boards, and also tried XJT in all modes , same result.

About to do some more investigating, will also try new firmware.

Can I assume from your comment above that you did not get PXX working as well?, I have been working on the assumption I was doing something wrong, maybe that's not the case.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:54 PM
Learning to Ride Dragons
Joined Feb 2013
522 Posts
Quote:
That is pretty much the same as I am finding.

I forgot to mention earlier I have tried on both 9x (telemetry modified) and Sky9x boards, and also tried XJT in all modes , same result.

About to do some more investigating, will also try new firmware.

Can I assume from your comment above that you did not get PXX working as well?, I have been working on the assumption I was doing something wrong, maybe that's not the case.
I was also assuming I was doing something wrong, but I think we are both doing exactly what's in the instructions. It's all just so new, there's no way to tell yet what the root of the problem is.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:04 AM
Learning to Ride Dragons
Joined Feb 2013
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
DJ - I have some smart port cables, but it sounds like you have it figured out already. The cable is pretty simple, just make sure you get the diode in the right direction.

Don't worry about damage, you are covered! I just want to see you get it up and running.

As mentioned, I'd do this for you, but I'm out of XJTs right now.

-Wayne
Awesome customer support as always, Wayne. Thank You.

I flashed the D8R II Plus with an FTDI cable and it worked (with some modification, invert Rx /Tx ), so that should replace the FrSky programmer on this job too. I do understand the next stage (I just need to get that diode from somewhere). So with those two things I should be able to flash that firmware. Fingers crossed.

If my plan sounds wrong, let me know and I'll get the proper FrSky cables from you on Monday.

Hey! Isn't being an early adopter of new technology fun?
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:58 AM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyrimDragon View Post
Awesome customer support as always, Wayne. Thank You.

I flashed the D8R II Plus with an FTDI cable and it worked (with some modification, invert Rx /Tx ), so that should replace the FrSky programmer on this job too. I do understand the next stage (I just need to get that diode from somewhere). So with those two things I should be able to flash that firmware. Fingers crossed.

If my plan sounds wrong, let me know and I'll get the proper FrSky cables from you on Monday.

Hey! Isn't being an early adopter of new technology fun?
I had to make a cable to burn the firmware for the Taranis. We picked up the diodes at Radio Shack for a couple of bucks for like 5 of them. I have a few built cables from FrSky now. Just let me know.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Taranis Front Shell Swap
Old Aug 11, 2013, 01:16 AM
Learning to Ride Dragons
Joined Feb 2013
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
I had to make a cable to burn the firmware for the Taranis. We picked up the diodes at Radio Shack for a couple of bucks for like 5 of them. I have a few built cables from FrSky now. Just let me know.

-Wayne
Did you get the diodes that are specified in the FrSky documentation? Or just any old small diodes?

I think FrSky calls for 1N4007 diodes.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 01:48 AM
cae
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined May 2012
26 Posts
DJ.. I just made a cable as per the FrSky document and used a 1N4007 ( a 1N4004 also worked) and in conjunction with an FUC-3 reflashed the XJT module.

Flashing went fine, but still did not fix PXX or telemetry problem.

Back to the drawing board.

In your original post you said you were getting telemetry with OLD rx + NEW tx
were you displaying telemetry on the 9x, if so, are you using TTL or 232 levels between the module and the 9x board?

I think it might be time to start delving into the er9x code.

Colin.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 02:07 AM
X-Ikarus
United Kingdom, North York
Joined Feb 2003
1,681 Posts
Quote:
Snip

PXX is mentioned here
http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=3878
Reflex1 is offline Find More Posts by Reflex1
Old Aug 11, 2013, 02:31 AM
cae
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined May 2012
26 Posts
Not sure why FrSky used a 1000V 1A power diode in this application.

I just tried a cable using a 1N4148 small signal switching diode, and it flashed fine.