HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2013, 12:16 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,270 Posts
Discussion
Time to re-cover....

hi Guys, well, some of my planes, after some hours of flying and a couple dozens of bad landings needs some work.

My Tomtit, one of my first good planes, with maybe 70 flights, some crashes and bad landings and hours of direct sun need a fix... the wing supports had been broken 3 times and just glued with CA and now i think i need to really fix them, this must be done uncovering some part of the wing... What you think, total recovering, or just between the ribs?

My Redwing, with no Doculam on it, had some broken tissue, for this case, is easier to build a new one, but i had some kind of love for this plane, and i really like it, he was my fist success flyable plane.

And i have my TomThumb hanging around, tried to fly two times, but i really donīt want to spend 3 hours in the car to get a place for a free flight, so, last monday i toke him to "my" field and get very good time with the glide test, sooooo what you think to convert it to just rudder rc plane, take away the .010 tee dee and install a 10 grams brushless motor???
colibriguitars is offline Find More Posts by colibriguitars
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2013, 01:42 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,734 Posts
Hi there! For the Tomtit, it is such a beautiful plane I think it's worth taking the time to recover the whole wing. I have a soft spot for planes that have been flown a lot, and are full of repairs, but I think there comes a time when its worth putting a bit of time in and fixing stuff properly. Its actually fun, and often you find lots of little things that need fixing. I find that on my planes its also a good time to make sure the landing gear is still good, and I often replace the lipo and prop.

Al
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Aug 07, 2013, 05:15 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,542 Posts
If the only issue with the Tom Tit is the interplane strut fixings it seems a pity to re-cover the whole thing Rodrigo - but maybe you will do it anyway! I never mind patches and faded tissue on my models, as Owl says it just shows that they have done a lot of flying, and as long as there are no structural problems I leave them alone. Actually, I find that more covering damage and fading happen in storage and transport than in flying, which is why I make protective sleeves for the flying surfaces on all my models.

I see no reason why the Tom Thumb shouldn't make an excellent rudder only/electric model.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member