HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2013, 07:26 AM
Australia, NSW, Wollstonecraft
Joined Sep 2012
69 Posts
Discussion
Propeller and Spinner alignment problem

hey everyone
can someone please explain to me how to align the spinner with the prop properly. My problem is when I tighten the nut, i have to hold the prop, causing it to move the other way(and therefore is not aligned with the spinner top).
The first photo shows the problem and the second shows what happened to my last spinner.
Any input is appreciated.
Thanks
Ironaut is offline Find More Posts by Ironaut
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2013, 08:04 AM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Jan 2012
328 Posts
I have also had problems with plastic spinners on glow engine planes. Two thoughts:

1. hold the spinner back plate perhaps with a screwdriver through a hole while tightening the prop which should push the prop against the alignment tabs.

2. Give up on plastic spinner and go with Tru-turn aluminum spinner. (My prefererred solution, with side benefit of not getting chewed up by electric starter)
Lumpy05 is offline Find More Posts by Lumpy05
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:14 AM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,199 Posts
Does the nut turn freely on the shaft until it comes in contact with the washer? I have not had that problem, once the nut starts to clamp down everything seems tight. But if the nut is a little tight on the threads I can see how it would be a problem.

While an aluminum spinner is nice it is not the solution, sure it won't get buggered up if the prop touches it but the prop should never be in contact with the spinner.
600Bob is online now Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:25 AM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Jan 2012
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600Bob View Post
Does the nut turn freely on the shaft until it comes in contact with the washer? I have not had that problem, once the nut starts to clamp down everything seems tight. But if the nut is a little tight on the threads I can see how it would be a problem.

While an aluminum spinner is nice it is not the solution, sure it won't get buggered up if the prop touches it but the prop should never be in contact with the spinner.
It is for me as there are no alignment tabs on the aluminum backplate, basicly eliminating the need to tighten the prop in a specific nonforgiving position. You do have to be careful to put the spinner on such that it NEVER touches the prop which is easy to do because it doesnt have to line up with the screw holes like a plastic spinner.
Lumpy05 is offline Find More Posts by Lumpy05
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:31 AM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,199 Posts
Yes that is true. I have both alum. and plastic props but have not had the problem the OP has had with plastic ones.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 01:12 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,348 Posts
the problem with plastic spinners, is once you tighten them down, they squish a pattern into the backing plate! and they will allways try and go back to that same position!

the only way to stop that, is too put the prop on in the right spot the first time! I usta bias the prop in the other direction, and then when tightening the prop nut, the prop would center itself!

never go for the last twist, until you are sure that the prop is centerd in the cone!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: heli's
Old Mar 21, 2013, 04:53 PM
Australia, NSW, Wollstonecraft
Joined Sep 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy05 View Post

1. hold the spinner back plate perhaps with a screwdriver through a hole while tightening the prop which should push the prop against the alignment tabs.
Good idea!
Ironaut is offline Find More Posts by Ironaut
Old Mar 21, 2013, 08:19 PM
Transplant in 1996
United States, NE, Scribner
Joined Aug 2011
195 Posts
I am sorry to say, BUT plastic prop spinners are USELESS. I am sorry, but they do not work.
After I got my first Aluminum spinner, I threw ALL my plastics into the burn barrel.
Transplant92 is offline Find More Posts by Transplant92
Old Mar 22, 2013, 08:01 AM
WCB
NC
Joined Aug 2005
1,043 Posts
An alternative to plastic spinners is a Dubro aluminum spinner nut. They are inexpensive, easy to install and look ok. I use them a lot on small glo engines.
WCB is offline Find More Posts by WCB
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:42 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant92 View Post
I am sorry to say, BUT plastic prop spinners are USELESS. I am sorry, but they do not work.
After I got my first Aluminum spinner, I threw ALL my plastics into the burn barrel.
Seems a little harsh. I have three, one on a small gas engine the other two on glow and have never had problems with them, they do get buggered up from starters though. I do put alum. On my new bigger planes though, more $ but much nicer.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 02:01 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,348 Posts
DU-BRO been making decent nose cones for ever! ya they don't last forever, but hey there not alot of money! better then natta!
ya they can be a lil finicky, I have used them since I started, and will have one on my latest plane!

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...4-100_0195.jpg

the one on my PITTS is a 3" and I have a 4" on my P-51!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: heli's
Old Mar 22, 2013, 07:37 PM
Transplant in 1996
United States, NE, Scribner
Joined Aug 2011
195 Posts
whiskykid That is a BEUTIFULL airplane, I'd trade you my hart for it!!!!
Transplant92 is offline Find More Posts by Transplant92
Old Mar 22, 2013, 08:55 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCB View Post
An alternative to plastic spinners is a Dubro aluminum spinner nut. They are inexpensive, easy to install and look ok. I use them a lot on small glo engines.
I completely agree !!! Plastic spinners suck. For your Plane. You don't need a big spinner. I use a spinner nut. But mine is pretty. Mine is blue and has a pointed nose. You spin it on and use a small screw driver to tighten. Some do look dumb. They look like a blunt nose with a molded nut lookin deal.
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
Old Mar 22, 2013, 08:58 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,481 Posts
,ooo
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
Last edited by Dale 813; Mar 22, 2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 04:50 AM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Mar 2013
184 Posts
I chunked all of my plastic spinners, they were starting to be a big problem this fall and I won't use them anymore. They would melt when I used the starter, slip and spin off or the starter would slip and wouldn't turn the spinner. They suck donkey *****......
hawl131 is offline Find More Posts by hawl131