HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:49 PM
The Tree? Yea I can hit that!
United States, WA, Renton
Joined Jan 2009
201 Posts
Discussion
hauling 30cc plane on top of a car

hey guys, Dumb question. I have a 30cc size plane I need to haul to storage at my in-laws 80 miles away. do you think it will be able to handle the trip tied carefully to the top of a mini van? I will not have the wings on it for any who may question that.
I an sure that the plane flies at or near the 65 mile an hour speed limit but I am still having a hard time doing it.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks
-MR
MOUNTAINROAD is offline Find More Posts by MOUNTAINROAD
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:13 PM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,175 Posts
Wrap up any holes in plastic wrap, you know for the wings etc....lots of padding where the plane touches the car and the straps touch the plane...then a tarp tied tight
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:36 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,725 Posts
Your best best is to put it inside of the mini-van. Usually things have a tendency to come off at speed for some odd reason. Tying the plane down is hard to do as you have to have it tight without crushing the plane too.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Gaui X3's
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:36 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,481 Posts
I saw a Dude going down the interstate before with a 50cc on top. I didn't see a tarp over the Plane. It was secured to the top. Happily taking a stroll.
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:26 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,348 Posts
planes have been riding on top of mini vans for along time!

I heard of a guy the usta strap it on, fire up, and burn the fuel out while driving down the road!

the only advice I can give, is to try and keep the tail level, and don't follow too close to other cars, and they like to fling pooh, and other things! and pick a dry day just in case!

It would suck to get ta destination, and find a stone or anything else sticking out of your plane!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: heli's
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:01 AM
United States, NC, Faison
Joined Jan 2011
683 Posts
I would not strap it down over the fuse but rather the gear. Run a couple of bunggies over and around the gear above the wheels and you can put alot of tention on it and not damage the frame. As for the back end I would use a block of styroam or foam rubber and place it under the fuse so that it is level then use a flat bungie to cross it. Let it move slightly so if it decides to adjust it can without leaving the top of your van. I definetly would not place a tarp over it. The wind would rip it apart from the thashing that the tarp will do.
rjstrickjr is offline Find More Posts by rjstrickjr
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:22 PM
The Tree? Yea I can hit that!
United States, WA, Renton
Joined Jan 2009
201 Posts
Thanks for all you hints and tips I wraped it up with a blanket and then used bungee cords from the gear to the luggage rack on the car, It worked great, the plane made it alive.
Thanks again guys!
MOUNTAINROAD is offline Find More Posts by MOUNTAINROAD
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:27 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
Years ago in RCM when big planes were coming into being....a company sold a trunk lid carrier.. to strap the plane to.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:05 PM
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2011
1,220 Posts
Kind of reminds me of one of the Vacation movies where they straped grandma to the roof
FloridaFlyBob is offline Find More Posts by FloridaFlyBob
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:19 PM
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Jan 2006
1,416 Posts
A friend of mine used a pick-up with a fiberglass bed cover, the wings went inside the bed and he strapped the fuselage to the top of the cover. Said he went to a Fly-in about 100 miles away and when he took the model off the bed cover all the servo's gears were ruined. The constant fluttering of the control surfaces in the air stream wore the gear sets out in the servo's.

Might want to secure the control surfaces so they can't move...
Broken Wings is offline Find More Posts by Broken Wings