Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:07 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
Discussion
How to diag an intermittant problem 9x with anylink

Here's the equipment used:
Turnigy 9x with a Tactic anylink module and a Tactic RX. Stock firmware.
Here's the problem:
When flying around it seems that after or during a left turn-around (aileron and elevator) it drops left or right real quickly and then recovers a second later. This happens at right turns too , but maybe not as often. It can be seen at level flight , but is very quick and not nearly as bad.

This TX has maybe 100 flights or so on it with 4 different planes , the latest change was just a LiFe battery and the TX and the module always stays powered up when the glitch occurs.

It started with my Flyzone switch where intermittently I had some wiggle in the plane just once in a while. Then finally the switch went down one day without explanation and worked fine on the bench afterward. A dozen flights later (with switch) and a couple dozen flights later with other planes , then the switch went squirly and went down again. I figured it was the plane because the TX worked fine on other models. It worked fine as soon as I found it again.

A few dozen flights with various planes later I fly the millennium master tonight and I noticed it had that familiar wiggle to it. As I figured it must be the wind it exhibited the exact same glitch as the switch did. I was flying very mild and careful and pretty low too. I flew some laps and sure enough it dipped exactly like the switch plane did. It did this about 6 times at various stick movements before I got it in. When I went over to it and checked it out it acted perfectly at various stick positions. I then walked away as far as I could and still see that all surfaces seemed perfectly still.

Here's the questions:
How do I diagnose this radio trouble on the bench knowing very little about how radios work? I'd like to diag this rather than using process of elimination by changing parts to find it. I can't seem to MAKE it act up on the bench with either plane. The only thing I have done is to carefully stare at the TX display while trying to mimic my stick movements and even though the display is not very large I can see that I do actually move the aileron as I move the elevator slightly. I can't keep the aileron perfectly steady , but I'm sure this isn't the trouble. I don't think the trouble is ME.

This added info may not be true , but it sure SEEMS that this problem is worse AFTER flying very aggressively. It may not happen during aggressive stick movements , but it will right after that. It also may not happen at all if the flight is very mild.

Hope someone can help me out with this. I guess I could ask it this way: How do I make this act up on the bench , it doesn't have a range test button at all.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Last edited by gulio; Sep 16, 2012 at 07:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:58 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulio View Post
Here's the equipment used:
Turnigy 9x with a Tactic anylink module and a Tactic RX. Stock firmware.
Here's the problem:
When flying at around it seems that after or during a left turn-around (aileron and elevator) it drops left or right real quickly and then recovers a second later. This happens at right turns too , but maybe not as often. It can be seen at level flight , but is very quick and not nearly as bad.

This TX has maybe 100 flights or so on it with 4 different planes , the latest change was just a LiFe battery and the TX and the module always stays powered up when the glitch occurs.

It started with my Flyzone switch where intermittently I had some wiggle in the plane just once in a while. Then finally the switch went down one day without explanation and worked fine on the bench afterward. A dozen flights later (with switch) and a couple dozen flights later with other planes , then the switch went squirly and went down again. I figured it was the plane because the TX worked fine on other models. It worked fine as soon as I found it again.

A few dozen flights with various planes later I fly the millennium master tonight and I noticed it had that familiar wiggle to it. As I figured it must be the wind it exhibited the exact same glitch as the switch did. I was flying very mild and careful and pretty low too. I flew some laps and sure enough it dipped exactly like the switch plane did. It did this about 6 times at various stick movements before I got it in. When I went over to it and checked it out it acted perfectly at various stick positions. I then walked away as far as I could and still see that all surfaces seemed perfectly still.

Here's the questions:
How do I diagnose this radio trouble on the bench knowing very little about how radios work? I'd like to diag this rather than using process of elimination by changing parts to find it. I can't seem to MAKE it act up on the bench with either plane. The only thing I have done is to carefully stare at the TX display while trying to mimic my stick movements and even though the display is not very large I can see that I do actually move the aileron as I move the elevator slightly. I can't keep the aileron perfectly steady , but I'm sure this isn't the trouble. I don't think the trouble is ME.

This added info may not be true , but it sure SEEMS that this problem is worse AFTER flying very aggressively. It may not happen during aggressive stick movements , but it will right after that. It also may not happen at all if the flight is very mild.

Hope someone can help me out with this. I guess I could ask it this way: How do I make this act up on the bench , it doesn't have a range test button at all.
Can you remove the battery, and then the back of the transmitter - 6 or so screws if I remember correctly? There is a possibility that you have a loose solder connection on your aileron potentiometer... This could explain why it worked first 100 or so flights and is becoming intermittent. On mine, I found 1 out 6? or so strands that was soldered - bad news. Check all potentiometer wires - It will take you maybe 30 minutes to check/fix if you can handle a soldering iron if in fact that is the problem - worth a check anyway.

Best wishes,
Scott
ScottSails is offline Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:08 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
Wouldn't that show up on the display as I work the aileron stick back and forth? I'm going to check it anyways, Thanks.

ps. I did have a rudder wire fall off as you describe , but it went full rudder and would never move again. The display of course showed this easily and I was able to simply resolder it. It was a different 9x though.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:00 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,230 Posts
Quote:
Wouldn't that show up on the display as I work the aileron stick back and forth? I'm going to check it anyways, Thanks.

ps. I did have a rudder wire fall off as you describe , but it went full rudder and would never move again. The display of course showed this easily and I was able to simply resolder it. It was a different 9x though.
intermittent is well intermittent - just a suggestion. Refresh data rate on display is pretty slow compared to what the RF system "sees" and responds to...
ScottSails is offline Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:44 AM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
One good thing is that it's getting worse.

Going to take it apart right now. Thanks for suggestion.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 02:14 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
I took it apart and saw nothing obvious. I wiggled and pulled on the 3 wires to aileron pot and they look ok. Since I had it apart I re-charged the battery , but that can't be the trouble.

I flew the switch one very mild flight and really didn't see anything wrong with the TX this time. Now the planes getting noisy and motor is getting rough and even the servos are getting noisy because this plane has been crashed a lot. It's nearly time to retire it.

If I can't figure out how to make this act up on the bench or figure out how to make it act up at all I may just change the module OR the TX. I've not heard of any anylinks going bad yet so I might just change the TX and try it with all the same planes.

I'll fly a different plane next time.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 07:37 AM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,654 Posts
Gulio,

Have you tried freezer spray, this is what professionals use to find intermittent connections. It works by stressing very local parts of the circuit so you can track down to the exact point where the trouble exists. With the back off the Tx and with it switched on try spraying where you think the fault lies with the radio running in test mode and with the display visible or a receiver with battery and servos working.

A.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:26 AM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
Nope, never heard of it. I'll look into it. Thanks for the idea.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:51 AM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,654 Posts
Gulio,

It's best not to use freezer in a humid atmosphere as it results in condensation appearing on the circuit under test.

A.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old Sep 03, 2012, 06:01 AM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,289 Posts
Quote:
....This added info may not be true , but it sure SEEMS that this problem is worse AFTER flying very aggressively. It may not happen during aggressive stick movements , but it will right after that. It also may not happen at all if the flight is very mild....
To me that sounds like it could be your Rx getting low on power/some component failing, with high current draw. When you fly aggressivley your servos draw a lot more current, stressing the power to the Rx. How is the Rx powered? Battery/BEC?
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:49 AM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
I flew the switch yesterday and even though it is a real beater plane it did perfectly for 3 flights even in the windy as I controlled it. I didn't get real aggressive yet. This switch gave me most trouble earlier this season when I had the wing in the low position and I flew very fast and aggressive (for me) I don't use the low wing mount any more because the mount is in such bad sloppy position I decided to retire the plane into a high wing trainer.

I flew the Millennium Master this morning and it also acted perfectly , but I was a bit careful with it too. Rewind to 3 flights ago on this MM: I "thought" I heard a motor squeal toward the end of a flight and immediately dead sticked it in. Motor was kinda noisy (sounded woody like many of my planes do) I revved it a few times on the bench and didn't have my current tester so I forgot about it. Rewind to 2 flights ago on this MM and that was ok until it went squirly on me dipping the wings quickly during a turn and such.

Both of these are flyzone with Hobbico product escs. Both escs have BEC built into them and a stock type 3s battery. Both planes are pretty much all stock except the switch is all rough and repaired and loose and twisted. The MM has had a esc replacement (6 flights ago) and coincidentally I used a supertiger 30 amp esc (same kind as what comes in the switch)

So, since I had the TX apart:

I had either loose wires at the aileron pot that I can't see and just happened to help (not likely)
I had a TX battery that needed charged at 9.72 volts (not likely because the TX and the anylink is good down to 7 volts or lower)
I have 2 similar (yet on different planes) plane problems which are intermittent and may show up when flying more aggressively. When I say aggressive , to most it probably really isn't. My flights can't be too aggressive because they last 12 minutes.
Last edited by gulio; Sep 04, 2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:54 AM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
A side note:

I do fly about 4 other planes in exact same area with another Turnigy 9x and HobbyKing rx in them.
I also fly about 4 other planes in same area with a Flysky TX and HK or Flysky RX in them.

All of these do fine. It is only the Tactic ones I'm having trouble with , yet I don't think that it is the anylink or the RXs or my adapter wire between the two. If I had to bet money I would bet on the TX itself and that might be the next component I replace. Too bad I will have programming to do. I'm about to set up 3 minis on this TX too.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:13 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
3-6 flights on each plane with zero troubles. (waiting for TX battery to drop down again) No idea why my trouble went away, kinda bothers me.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:18 AM
No hangar is big enough.....
Canada, ON, London
Joined Aug 2010
22 Posts
I've had very similar problems with the Great Planes Micro F-86 Sabre, using a DX6i and Anylink. And the stock 250 mah battery. No problems with the same Tx bound to Spektrum or Orange Rxs.

I have two Sabres ( with two Anylink), two DX6i and M/A 300 mah batteries. I'll do some tests when I can match time with weather. I know it's not the same Tx, but test results might prove useful.
RC Aviator is offline Find More Posts by RC Aviator
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:59 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Suggest post questions (also read existing similar posts) under:
"Radio Manufacturer Direct Support >> Tactic & AnyLink Support Forum

or as in the AnyLink manual V2, contact direct:
TX-R Technical Support - email electronicsupport@greatplanes.com
Telephone: 1-217-398-8970. Available Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm U.S. Central Time.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.