HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:20 AM
Unregistered User
White Rock BC/Blaine WA
Joined Apr 2007
595 Posts
Wow nice frame Sean! How did you make it? Vacuum formed plastic?
liam2317 is offline Find More Posts by liam2317
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:55 AM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanheadrick View Post
This is a design that I have been working on for the better part of a year. It occurred to me a frame constructed this way would be lighter, stiffer, and more durable than the frames currently being made. It is 555 mm frame based on my first scratch built version. It weighs in at 395 grams. It can take a petty tough landing without any damage.Attachment 5279108

if you start selling these I want one
TheOne420 is online now Find More Posts by TheOne420
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:50 AM
Flying Monkey
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2010
307 Posts
Quote:
This is a design that I have been working on for the better part of a year.
Great looking frame man! It looks like a military issued Aquacopter...

Name: Picture 5.jpg
Views: 514
Size: 78.1 KB
Description:
heli-yeah is offline Find More Posts by heli-yeah
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:57 PM
Joined Nov 2011
157 Posts
Quote:
This is a design that I have been working on for the better part of a year. It occurred to me a frame constructed this way would be lighter, stiffer, and more durable than the frames currently being made. It is 555 mm frame based on my first scratch built version. It weighs in at 395 grams. It can take a petty tough landing without any damage.Attachment 5279108
Sean, How much to make one of these bad boys brother? I would like to have one!
Ron_RC is offline Find More Posts by Ron_RC
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:09 PM
Flying Foamies
Philippines, NCR, Makati City
Joined Jun 2012
846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedactyl View Post
shall call it the Foamy Falcon

Foamy falcon in flight

speedactyl is online now Find More Posts by speedactyl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Philippnes Materials Available
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:28 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Nov 2012
16 Posts
Yes its a vacuum formed frame. I am finalizing a couple details in the prototype and forms but I assure you they will be available mid November in time for Christmas. I went ahead and started a build log that should be linked at the bottom of this post. It should give a bit more info about the design. I plan to have the build log complete in a few days so you can see what's involved with assembling one of these. I plan on them coming in at around $135. That would include an assembled frame with removable ESC enclosures for changing out the motors or adjusting rotation. A couple 24x18 construction docs packed with useful info. The HK distribution board which has been designed into the lower hull of the aircraft. It is 555mm from prop to prop and still comes in at about 395 grams. I can't recall if that is with or without the distribution board. I believe it was just the shell. I also did a set of vinyl cut decals to label your motors and add a bit of "flair". The aesthetic component to these frames were only second to there functionality. I am really looking forward to getting these out there.i attached a xray view so you can take a look inside. And note the method for securing the FC.This should accomidate any style board setup and i plan on having a adapter board for mounting enclosed FC's like the Naza.Here is a video
seanheadrick is offline Find More Posts by seanheadrick
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 080 HUGO AeroTestra quad build
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:04 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2011
109 Posts
Nice frame Seanheandrick! When can we start ordering this? This is the frame that I have been looking for!
Paltik.45acp is offline Find More Posts by Paltik.45acp
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:52 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,134 Posts
Quote:
Yes its a vacuum formed frame. I am finalizing a couple details in the prototype and forms but I assure you they will be available mid November in time for Christmas. I went ahead and started a build log that should be linked at the bottom of this post. It should give a bit more info about the design. I plan to have the build log complete in a few days so you can see what's involved with assembling one of these. I plan on them coming in at around $135. That would include an assembled frame with removable ESC enclosures for changing out the motors or adjusting rotation. A couple 24x18 construction docs packed with useful info. The HK distribution board which has been designed into the lower hull of the aircraft. It is 555mm from prop to prop and still comes in at about 395 grams. I can't recall if that is with or without the distribution board. I believe it was just the shell. I also did a set of vinyl cut decals to label your motors and add a bit of "flair". The aesthetic component to these frames were only second to there functionality. I am really looking forward to getting these out there.i attached a xray view so you can take a look inside. And note the method for securing the FC.This should accomidate any style board setup and i plan on having a adapter board for mounting enclosed FC's like the Naza.Here is a video
Looks like a lot of work has gone into that. - I can't see any cooling for motors or esc's though. Are you intending to add some holes to stop things from cooking?

Malcolm
highviz is online now Find More Posts by highviz
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:42 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Nov 2012
16 Posts
the way the frame is designed with the open cockpit it does a pretty good job of not overheating. I check the motors and esc's for excessive heat build up and have not seen a problem. I would like to set something up to record or monitor the heat . I have designs in process to use downward venting around the motor pod to utilize the downdraft from the props to create a venturi that would pull cool air in through the top and down the arms. I had also considered flush mounting the ESC's right below the surface with the heat sinks exposed.
seanheadrick is offline Find More Posts by seanheadrick
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 080 HUGO AeroTestra quad build
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:43 PM
I'll fly anything...
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2007
962 Posts
13 multi's in the last 2 years... here are some of them...

Travel Tricopter flew with gopro on the front.

These were used in the Nokia Lumia / All Blacks ad and where knocked out the sky with a ball

FPV machine

My first "good quad" and my first Hexa - it was the first multi I used for an entire photoshoot instead of the Trex-600 cameraship.

My current photography machine - in the process of being replace by my Droidworx VM-6

Pete
Efliernz is offline Find More Posts by Efliernz
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:27 PM
Newnan, GA
Joined Oct 2002
2,087 Posts
What controller are you using Pete?
Matt Chester is offline Find More Posts by Matt Chester
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:36 PM
FPV ADDICT
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efliernz View Post
13 multi's in the last 2 years... here are some of them...

Travel Tricopter flew with gopro on the front.

These were used in the Nokia Lumia / All Blacks ad and where knocked out the sky with a ball

FPV machine

My first "good quad" and my first Hexa - it was the first multi I used for an entire photoshoot instead of the Trex-600 cameraship.

My current photography machine - in the process of being replace by my Droidworx VM-6

Pete
I have the same Sony camera but can't loose the jello in video...what kind of gimbal is that on your octa? U have video of the raw footage? Nice looking builds!
Wirewolf903 is offline Find More Posts by Wirewolf903
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:22 PM
I'll fly anything...
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2007
962 Posts
I am using Hoverfly Pro on my "good" machines and KK2's on my "disposable" ones

DIY gimbal with belt drive and external pots.

Sony RX100 on the Octo (3 min 51 sec)

Everything set to default - no stabilzation. Camera gimbal stab was off.

Fountain HQ (3 min 1 sec)

From my "good quad" - with camera stab on. No post stabilization.

I balance my props really well. I have rubber dampers between the copter hub and the u/c / camera gimbal.

Pete
Efliernz is offline Find More Posts by Efliernz
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:22 PM
FPV ADDICT
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
562 Posts
Pete,

Great videos thank you!
Wirewolf903 is offline Find More Posts by Wirewolf903
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:31 PM
Newnan, GA
Joined Oct 2002
2,087 Posts
Here is my latest creation. Its called "Snow Screen", because its white and its made out of aluminum window screen material. Right now it has my Gaui motor and escs and one of my copter control boards. Soon to have Spektrum satellite and a 2100mah 3s battery to hit the skies. Should fly great, its pretty dang light and very stiff. I believe is 420mm center to center in square. Total cost of the frame was about $12.

What do you think?
Matt Chester is offline Find More Posts by Matt Chester
RCG Plus Member