HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:20 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,771 Posts
Recent message pruning...

As stated, this thread is strictly for discussing the features of the radio. It should not be used to ask about release dates of products, or discuss the weather.

The transmitter is still being worked on. Keep in mind that my focus is not strictly a transmitter 'box'. I am creating a core device that is the foundation of a line of replacement transmitter boards available for every type of box, not just the plastic enclosure we have chosen to use with this particular product.

So, again, please keep this thread to questions about features. Thanks!
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:23 PM
Live for speed
USA, CT, Bethany
Joined Mar 2004
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
I am creating a core device that is the foundation of a line of replacement transmitter boards available for every type of box, not just the plastic enclosure we have chosen to use with this particular product.
Is the Evo one of those boxes?
GoFaster is offline Find More Posts by GoFaster
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:55 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
Is the Evo one of those boxes?
The way I have designed this hardware, it will be possible to reformat the physical shape and connector layout to fit any type of 'box'. The firmware would be the same for all boxes, with the only difference is a definition of the available inputs.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:49 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Surely the UI code will have to be customized considerably as well given significant differences in the display formats and technologies? Porting the firmware could easily be more difficult and take longer than redesigning the pcb.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:19 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,321 Posts
Since we can't ask how much or when, can we ask for a target specification or features list?
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined Jul 2009
161 Posts
TX Specs and price

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc View Post
Since we can't ask how much or when, can we ask for a target specification or features list?
Check out Jim's post #1 on this thread for the most current spec list and prices. Other than that, like he said, it's under development.
flyingfever is online now Find More Posts by flyingfever
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:49 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
Surely the UI code will have to be customized considerably as well given significant differences in the display formats and technologies? Porting the firmware could easily be more difficult and take longer than redesigning the pcb.
Actually, no. This is one of the reasons why the firmware has taken so long. You can define the physical display size and font sizes, and the system will automatically format the display based on the screen you are using. There are a LOT of parameters that can be defined so that firmware works with every single possible display, input, and even RF combination available.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:50 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,912 Posts
O.K., so the weather is "off topic:" how about narrowly defining the scope of "the topic?"
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:07 AM
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2005
763 Posts
Quote:
...so that firmware works with every single possible display, input, and even RF combination available.
If I remember correctly it will support touch screen as well, correct? So does it use the same screens for touch screen as it does for non-touch screen?
balesse is online now Find More Posts by balesse
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:23 PM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jun 2007
26 Posts
touch screen

Well keeping with Jim's request for technical issues only... touch screen is in that category. So if you mean touch screen like the pic below......... nah, ain't gonna happen except with photoshop!!!!!! Great idea though.
Roger
rogerzzz is offline Find More Posts by rogerzzz
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:25 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerzzz View Post
Well keeping with Jim's request for technical issues only... touch screen is in that category. So if you mean touch screen like the pic below......... nah, ain't gonna happen except with photoshop!!!!!! Great idea though.
Roger
Does it get the weather channel?
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:38 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
Actually, no. This is one of the reasons why the firmware has taken so long. You can define the physical display size and font sizes, and the system will automatically format the display based on the screen you are using. There are a LOT of parameters that can be defined so that firmware works with every single possible display, input, and even RF combination available.
Thanks for the comments. It will be interesting to see how well that works.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:13 AM
Australia, QLD, Logan
Joined Aug 2011
15 Posts
Battery

Jim, apologies for not communicating my question clearly in the post you deleted. I'll try to get it right this time:
Looking at various battery options for this transmitter. What is the most efficient voltage to run it at (I understand fully the consumption is very low at any voltage)
Thanks
stilp is offline Find More Posts by stilp
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:59 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
I think he said it will work 6.6volts and up, so a 2s1p A123 pack would probably be the best use of the power with the least heat. Maybe he uses a switcher in there, but with the range given I think it is probably a passive regulator.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:54 PM
Australia, QLD, Logan
Joined Aug 2011
15 Posts
Yeah, the first post of this thread details: Power requirements: 6v-24v (Lipo, LiFe, Nicd, Nimh compatible) And the issues of type and size have been discussed earlier...
But regarding the most efficient running voltage: If a passive regulator turns excess voltage to heat, should we all aim at a battery that's a little above 6volt when flat?
stilp is offline Find More Posts by stilp
Closed Thread