Discussion
One esc really hot?!!

First, here is the set up:

HK SS 18-20A esc's flashed with Simon software
20-28m motors (1050kv) http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4701
2200 mah lipo (20C)
Crius multiwii with 2.0 update

Problem:

I just got everything hooked up and I am in the "getting it all right" stage before I go out and try to fly. Well, one of my esc's gets pretty hot. At first, it would stutter the motor. So I re-calibrated the throttle endpoint for that esc. That fixed the problem, but it now gets hot! I'm not even flying, just bench testing. The other esc's are perfectly fine, but this one gets hot quickly.

Also, the motor connected to this problem esc sounds different than the other motors. (more of a whine sound...its louder) I did clarify that all esc's worked right after flashing them with Simon software. Should I try re-flashing this esc?

EDIT: I am using the bec from one of the esc's to power everything, but it is not the hot esc. The bec esc stays perfectly cool.

Any ideas?
mamba max1 is offline Find More Posts by mamba max1
Last edited by mamba max1; Apr 12, 2012 at 09:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:12 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba max1 View Post
First, here is the set up:

HK SS 18-20A esc's flashed with Simon software
20-28m motors (1050kv) http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4701
2200 mah lipo (20C)
Crius multiwii with 2.0 update

Problem:

I just got everything hooked up and I am in the "getting it all right" stage before I go out and try to fly. Well, one of my esc's gets pretty hot. At first, it would stutter the motor. So I re-calibrated the throttle endpoint for that esc. That fixed the problem, but it now gets hot! I'm not even flying, just bench testing. The other esc's are perfectly fine, but this one gets hot quickly.

Also, the motor connected to this problem esc sounds different than the other motors. (more of a whine sound...its louder) I did clarify that all esc's worked right after flashing them with Simon software. Should I try re-flashing this esc?

Any ideas?
Are you flashing with the proper firmware. SimonK has a few different firmware. I out when I flashed the wrong software the ESC will stutter the motor and doesn't start smooth.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:14 PM
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Jun 2010
483 Posts
I did use the correct firmware (tp.hex per the database). After flashing each esc, I bench tested each individually. All worked perfectly. (then)
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:32 PM
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Jun 2010
483 Posts
Ok, I just swapped esc's and motors to isolate the problem. It is indeed the esc and not the motor. When I switched motors on the bad esc, the new motor sounded with the weird whine. But when I switched esc's to a working one, the motors sounded normal.

I'll also add that when I throttle up with the bad esc, it feels as if the motor is resisting some, I'm sure this is the reason for all of the heat. (remember, I found out that all motors work)

I've been in the hobby for 8 years and always had electric cars, planes, trucks etc. This is the first time I've seen an esc act this way.
Last edited by mamba max1; Apr 12, 2012 at 10:37 PM.