SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 08, 2012, 12:52 AM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Nov 2011
190 Posts
Discussion
DJI Naza vs DJI WK-M - What do you get for the extra $860??

Considering buying a second quadcopter. I love my DJI Naza so much that it seems like the obvious choice for my other quad as well. However, I've been reading quite a bit on the WK-M, and I wanted to clarify something.....

It SEEMS that the only difference between the Naza and the WK-M that I can find is the addition of the GPS, which allows for position-hold. What else am I missing to justify the difference between the $240 price tag and the $1,100 price tag?
brianshell is offline Find More Posts by brianshell
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2012, 01:54 AM
sydney, downunder
Joined Jan 2011
1,663 Posts
WKM now features carefree and heading-lock. Havent tried them myself as I'm not too eager to try out new firmwares. Position hold is its biggest selling point and return to home and landing also works great. Also, naza does not support octo config.
fajar is offline Find More Posts by fajar
Old Jan 08, 2012, 02:04 AM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Apr 2006
683 Posts
Return to Home has saved my quad at least a half a dozen times, so that extra $800 saved me about $8,000.

Within a year or two, RTH will be standard on every flying aircraft (not just multis). It just makes so much sense and makes it safer for the public at large. That means it will be cheap as well.
chris24g is offline Find More Posts by chris24g
Old Jan 08, 2012, 02:41 AM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
GPS doesn't count?
Even with GPS (which I am not saying we will.) Naza will not be as good as WKM. But, with Naza I fly it like I stole it.

Flying Naza to me is true "care free". We crashed ours intentionally over concrete and grass doing wild things. Other than props damage, the flame wheel on average survive 4 hard crashes.

We can do RTH on Helis; but landing heli on uneven ground is totally a different story. We do have auto take off and landing for almost a year.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:28 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
goodluckbuy must be getting such a good deal on the naza clones, they didn't mind bumping my order to dhl for free. And with GPS coming for bumbleebee sooner than later... looks like its the best deal for the buck controller right now. (hi sidneyw)
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Last edited by timecop; Jan 09, 2012 at 09:39 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 08, 2012, 04:05 AM
SMILE you're being recorded :)
Joined Apr 2010
755 Posts
I like the "I fly it like I stole it" part!

That is why I'm considering a NAZA to use with my 500X or DJI F450 frame when I get a bigger and expensive frame like Mikrokopter to justify all the features of WKM on preserving my investments without the "Fly like stole it" option.
Velociraptor73 is offline Find More Posts by Velociraptor73
Old Jan 08, 2012, 07:35 AM
Michigan
Joined Dec 2008
2,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
goodluckbuy must be getting such a good deal on the naza clones, they didn't mind bumping my order to dhl for free. And with GPS coming for bumbleebee despite sydneyw refusals and lies, looks like dji is on a fast track to piss off more customers.
so TC what your saying is that the naza and bumblee are one and the same Tom
tom6696950 is offline Find More Posts by tom6696950
Old Jan 08, 2012, 07:43 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
100%
And apparently mine is DHL'd on the way to me. So I might have it here sooner than I thought.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 07:48 AM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
goodluckbuy must be getting such a good deal on the naza clones, they didn't mind bumping my order to dhl for free. And with GPS coming for bumbleebee despite sydneyw refusals and lies, looks like dji is on a fast track to piss off more customers.
timecop, I don't know what your problem is, whatever it is you are once again spreading rumors and making assumption without any facts.
So, hear this from timecop. He is telling you bumbleebee will have GPS. So, buy more ... I am happy either way, because timecop is spending money that gets into my wallet. Thanks, glad you are happy. But, I will tell you bumblebee will not have GPS without my say so. You said I lie which means you have proof; show the readers here.

Bumblebee is made by DJI in OEM combo (frame & FC) only. We have sent warning to the company in China. Timecop kept saying I lie; I did report this to moderator. As far as goodluckbuy is concern, I will make sure they won't receive the next order from me.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 08, 2012, 08:08 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Funny.
So the sticker that says GPS/Ext is a lie?
My facts are:
1) firmware is same (please prove me wrong)
2) Case has GPS sticker (does GPS stand for something else in context of Sheng Tsui or whatever)
3) Hardware is the same (pending arrival so I can confirm).

2, probably 3 out of 3 facts != lies.

EDIT:
Quote:
As far as goodluckbuy is concern, I will make sure they won't receive the next order from me.
And here you go contradicting yourself again. If you're so happy they're selling, why would you want to stop them from doing so?

Just like the warning to helipal about selling F450 frames without WK-M? The ones they shipped to others, while I was told by your own staff that "the company has been warned and they have not received any stock yet" (I can get actual quotes of skype chats if you will say I'm "lying").
Last edited by timecop; Jan 08, 2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 08:20 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
I am happy either way, because timecop is spending money that gets into my wallet.
full disclosure - I did not pay for the bumblebee that's enroute to me.
so no, my money did not go into your pocket. as much as you wish it did.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 08:23 AM
Suspended Account
UK, Buckinghamshire, High Wycombe
Joined Feb 2007
4,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
As far as goodluckbuy is concern, I will make sure they won't receive the next order from me.
as long as GLB doesn't do the same as HK and reverse engineer the 1st batch that is

GWS be found

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._BE_Found.html

started at $10 is now $6 coz of this

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=20578

SS on screen display started here on RCG for $9 then price got bumped to $18 hobbyking got one and released this

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ing_E_OSD.html

then cloned their own stuff and released this

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Mini_OSD_.html

that look familier to you? i can find more products that were bought as a 1st shipment and the "buyer" never returned for a second order as they didn't need to?
n3m1s1s is offline Find More Posts by n3m1s1s
Old Jan 08, 2012, 08:45 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3m1s1s View Post
as long as GLB doesn't do the same as HK and reverse engineer the 1st batch that is

GWS be found

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._BE_Found.html

started at $10 is now $6 coz of this

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=20578

SS on screen display started here on RCG for $9 then price got bumped to $18 hobbyking got one and released this

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ing_E_OSD.html

then cloned their own stuff and released this

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Mini_OSD_.html

that look familier to you? i can find more products that were bought as a 1st shipment and the "buyer" never returned for a second order as they didn't need to?
This type of thing is great for the consumer in the short run but eventually it stifles innovation. When your ideas get stolen before you can even break even on the R&D people start to give up on developement.
TimeCop,
I really wish you would lighten up here, you sound like one heck of a bitter person. Have you always been this negative?
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Old Jan 08, 2012, 09:06 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
This type of thing is great for the consumer in the short run but eventually it stifles innovation. When your ideas get stolen before you can even break even on the R&D people start to give up on developement.
TimeCop,
I really wish you would lighten up here, you sound like one heck of a bitter person. Have you always been this negative?
Pretty much this. Also, the little message under his name ("User was Banned for this Post") tells me he knows exactly what he's saying and how it comes across to the rest of us.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Jan 08, 2012, 09:43 AM
Why is the Rum gone?
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Mar 2008
1,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris24g View Post
Return to Home has saved my quad at least a half a dozen times, so that extra $800 saved me about $8,000.

Within a year or two, RTH will be standard on every flying aircraft (not just multis). It just makes so much sense and makes it safer for the public at large. That means it will be cheap as well.

Okay. Okay. Yes, the RTH saved your helicopter many times on the Wookong board because it can virtually fly itself and land back where it took off from. Now don't make it seem like the Naza has no failsafe. It does! You flip this failsafe switch, an although it has no gps to fly back, it will actually stabilize itself and slowly descend to the ground. Now the only difference is that the gps tells it where to land. Not too bad IMO.
sim_io is offline Find More Posts by sim_io