HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2011, 06:01 AM
Joined Aug 2009
86 Posts
Question
Dirty Birdy 20

What is the wingspan of a Dirty Birdy 20?
Thank you.
Ed
ed4353 is offline Find More Posts by ed4353
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2011, 06:41 AM
Service First
United States, CT, Torrington
Joined Feb 2006
168 Posts
I couldn't find a number but here is a .tiff of the plan
http://trentonrcflyers.com/pattern/p...Birdy%2020.tif
johnfh is online now Find More Posts by johnfh
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:40 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,844 Posts
Ed,

When you refer to the Dirty Birdy 20 what particular model or plan are you referring to?

The reason I ask is because Bridi never kitted a Dirty Birdy 20, what he did kit was a model called the Tweedy Bird (TB). This last had a 48-3/4" wing span with 400 squares.

Both David Wood and myself scaled Dirty Birdy 60 plans to produce a "20 size" version. David's were scaled to 48" if memory serves, mine were scaled to the same span as the TB which produced a wing with slightly more area; ~408 squares, again, if memory serves.

You might be interested in the following thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_52...mpage_3/tm.htm

Recent posts talk about the plans.

David.
doxilia is offline Find More Posts by doxilia
Old Nov 17, 2011, 02:07 AM
United States, CA, Norco
Joined Feb 2007
408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4353 View Post
What is the wingspan of a Dirty Birdy 20?
Thank you.
Ed
If your are refering to the DB 20 at the Trenton site I uploaded that particular plan to the site. It's wingspane is 49"

As mentioned Bridi never made a 20 sized Dirty Birdy. That particular plan was scaled down from the 60 Sized DB.

I orginally scaled it down to see if the root cord of the wing was similar to the Tweedy Bird 20 as the Tweedy Bird plans do not have rib templates. I wanted to see if the scaled down rib templates would work for both.

On my plan of the Treedy Bird the given wingspan is lsited at 48 3/4" but measured 49" in photoshop. So I scaled down the DB 60 to at least match the wingspan of the Tweedy Bird.

As you will see the from the attached plan the Tweedy Bird was designed by Joe Bridi and was marketed through Great Planes.

I included the DB 20 as well.
Regards
Roguedog is offline Find More Posts by Roguedog
Old Dec 10, 2011, 06:20 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
913 Posts
While I have an original NIB Bridi Dirty Birdy .60 kit, I have long wanted a smaller .25 size version since I have an OS .25FX to power it. I am now in the process of scratch building a retract equipt Super Pacer, and once it is finished, I will start the Tweety Birdy. I have since decided to go electric on both of them. Thanks for the info, it will come in handy.

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Old Dec 10, 2011, 10:24 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,844 Posts
SC,

What do you have in mind for power and retracts on these birds?

I have a framed up Super Pacer with a 1500 kV Rimfire and mechanical retracts but it is to be covered yet. Very light at 40 oz AUW with battery (4s 2650).

No TB framed up yet but I plan to build a UFO 25 laser cut first. That one will be on a piped ST 29 and electric trike gear.

David.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 02:00 PM
Joined Feb 2010
913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia View Post
SC,

What do you have in mind for power and retracts on these birds?

I have a framed up Super Pacer with a 1500 kV Rimfire and mechanical retracts but it is to be covered yet. Very light at 40 oz AUW with battery (4s 2650).

No TB framed up yet but I plan to build a UFO 25 laser cut first. That one will be on a piped ST 29 and electric trike gear.

David.

Sounds like we have similar tastes...

I have pipes for the OS 25FXs that I flew in combat and originally planned on using for the Super Pacer and the TB before I decided to go electric. I flew my first SP with probably a K&B in the mid Seventies that was Goldberg retract equipt. and always wanted another one. I have the fuse and tail feathers done and one wing almost framed up on the new one.

While I have been flying mostly electrics now for a year and half, they have been smaller foamie 3D/pattern ships with the largest being a blue foam 42" GRX-V1 (and now very recently, an all terrain (snow, grass, water, pavement Polaris 120), so I am not really familiar with motors anything larger than for 27 oz airplanes. I have been doing a little research on power systems for the SP and TB (which should be around (hopefully less) than 3.5lbs, and am looking at the Turnigy G25 870kv motor which is supposed to be similar to a .25. I will look at the Rimfire you have and maybe order it instead. I am not even sure at this point I need to go to a BEC (or whatever). I will be using 5 HS-81s, so I don't think I will need to, but maybe it would be best. My XPS receiver has a very low voltage threshold and never has glitched, while the various Hitec's glitched all the time (only in e-systems, not with 14 years of flying them in nitro ships). I thought it was the cell towers we now have to fly near, but is was due to lower voltage that the receivers did not like.

I still have a couple of sets of the Goldberg retracts from my old SP, but I ran across and ordered a set of HKs that are good for up to 5 lbs and need one inch of depth in the wing. Price was less then 10 bucks shipped. I am going conventional gear.

I will be using the old style Dirty Birdy canopy because I think it makes the DB sassier looking, even though not as sleek as the DB 20.

40ozs is very light!...good job! I am hoping for less than 48, but am not really trying too hard. What I learn from this SP will help me build a lighter DB.

Your UFO sounds like it will be awesome...that ship is also on my build list.

SpadCat
Last edited by SpadCat2000; Dec 11, 2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:21 AM
Joined Feb 2010
913 Posts
The HK retracts came in and, my goodness, the quality is quite good and just over 6 bucks shipped...amazing. They look and operate just like the larger Dave Brown units I have (at least I think they are Dave Brown, but it has been a long time since I bought them). They have fully enclosed tough plastic housings (the DB's are metal and are open) and work quite smoothly. Tonight I started modifying the Super Pacer's wing which I have framed up except for the leading edge sheeting.

I will be ordering several more sets for future .25 sized vintage pattern ships I want to build such as the Dirty Birdy, etc.

Yesterday I was looking at the E-Flite electric retracts at our LHC, but they want over 80 bucks for them. I might have bought them if they were around $40.

SpadCat
Last edited by SpadCat2000; Dec 23, 2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 01:05 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,844 Posts
SC,

glad to hear you are pleased with the units. Can you take some pics showing the details of them? I'd be interested in seeing how the nose gear steering is setup. Also, how much does the trike set weigh?

David.
Old Jan 03, 2012, 07:02 PM
Joined Feb 2010
913 Posts
The link is below which contains details and a good photo of the HK gear. These are main gear only as I plan on keeping the SP a tail dragger and probably the Tweety Birdy also. I will weigh the gear as I chopped off a good portion of the legs. I used my old Goldbergs as a pattern since the length worked well then.

SpadCat

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=3821
Old Jan 04, 2012, 11:43 PM
Joined Feb 2010
913 Posts
My LHC had a demo Lightning 25 motor for only $23, so I bought it, so now I have restarted work on the SP. I am really looking forward to finishing this plane and start on the Tweety Birdy (or Dirty Birdy 20).

SpadCat
Old Jan 07, 2012, 10:07 PM
Joined Feb 2010
913 Posts
Electric Retracts?

Electric retracts on Ebay for less than 15 bucks shipped...Ordered a pair and will let all know how good (or bad) they are.

Took the disk with the PDF for the Dirty Birdy 20 to Staples yesterday and now have a full size plan set to start cutting out parts. By the time I finish the Super Pacer, I will have a DB kit.

SpadCat