HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:48 AM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weav01 View Post
Just replaced a servo (aileron) and tail motor due to a crash and bad motor. Was going to make some gyro gain adjustments after hovering and noticed some tail wag. When i looked at the gyro it was set on ADJ instead of WK. So i switched it to WK and then my Pitch and Aileron servos move up/down in sync with all right stick movements. In ADJ they move normal. What is happening? By the way this is a DeVO 7 setup.
hmm, switching between ADJ and WK shouldn't affect your aileron and pitch movements. Double check if this is truly the case and you were switching the correct switch on the tx, and let us know, cause if so that is strange.

Did everything work ok after you replaced the servo? Also did you replace the servo with one that was exactly the same? You may have to reverse the direction of one of your servos in the tx (just be careful that your gyros are moving in the correct direction if you do this), also check that you have the swash setting on 1 servo and not 3 servo. Maybe you accidentally changed something in the tx
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:08 AM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,967 Posts
Hitting Pit Rev will cause the servos to move as described.
navigator2011 is online now Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:25 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jul 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilberto View Post
hmm, switching between ADJ and WK shouldn't affect your aileron and pitch movements. Double check if this is truly the case and you were switching the correct switch on the tx, and let us know, cause if so that is strange.

Did everything work ok after you replaced the servo? Also did you replace the servo with one that was exactly the same? You may have to reverse the direction of one of your servos in the tx (just be careful that your gyros are moving in the correct direction if you do this), also check that you have the swash setting on 1 servo and not 3 servo. Maybe you accidentally changed something in the tx
Everything was working fine after the servo replacement because I happened to be flying in ADJ position (with some tailwag which made me look at the rx). It is when I noticed the switch position that I put it to WK then noticed the abnormal servo movements. In the Tx I check the servo settings and nothing is reversed. I also tried reversing them in the Tx and it didnt change the pitch or aileron servos movement. I wonder if the crash took out the rx? if so i'll just fly in ADJ mode. Will that work?
weav01 is online now Find More Posts by weav01
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:42 AM
San Jacinto, California
Joined Jan 2004
440 Posts
Quote:
Everything was working fine after the servo replacement because I happened to be flying in ADJ position (with some tailwag which made me look at the rx). It is when I noticed the switch position that I put it to WK then noticed the abnormal servo movements. In the Tx I check the servo settings and nothing is reversed. I also tried reversing them in the Tx and it didnt change the pitch or aileron servos movement. I wonder if the crash took out the rx? if so i'll just fly in ADJ mode. Will that work?
Don't know which devo rx you have, just double check that you didn't toggle the pit reverse sw by mistake.
segdohbird is offline Find More Posts by segdohbird
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:45 AM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by segdohbird View Post
Don't know which devo rx you have, just double check that you didn't toggle the pit reverse sw by mistake.
Weav, that's also what i was trying to refer to in my first paragraph (but wrote tx instead of rx like i meant...oops) and what nav was saying too. Double check that first cause these rx's aren't always labeled the best and it sounds like you already double checked your tx.

Also, I wouldn't recommend flying in adj mode, not a good idea cause any wind will make it go crazy since you won't have any gyros and it'd be hard to control.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:48 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jul 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by segdohbird View Post
Are you referring to the Pit Rev switch in the Tx? If so it is set to normal. I even reversed it to see if it made a difference and it did NOT make any difference in their movements.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:53 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jul 2012
113 Posts
I will go back over everything again and get the Rx number for better reference. I know on the Rx there are two switches. One is the WK/ADJ switch and the other which I am now assuming is the Pit Rev switch which can be set to 0 or 1. Thanks guys. This is one strange symptoms I havent explored/encountered/read about yet. I can usually figure the other basic stuff out on my own with a little search and reading.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:44 AM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,967 Posts
Quote:
Are you referring to the Pit Rev switch in the Tx? If so it is set to normal. I even reversed it to see if it made a difference and it did NOT make any difference in their movements.
No, we are referring to the little switches on the receiver. You said you changed the switch from ADJ to WK mode. That's all very well, unless you accidentally flipped the other switch that reverses the movement of the Pitch servo. When I 'clicked' the Pitch Reverse switch on the Rx, both my AIL and PIT servos would go up and down together when I moved the cyclic stick sideways.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:06 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jul 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
No, we are referring to the little switches on the receiver. You said you changed the switch from ADJ to WK mode. That's all very well, unless you accidentally flipped the other switch that reverses the movement of the Pitch servo. When I 'clicked' the Pitch Reverse switch on the Rx, both my AIL and PIT servos would go up and down together when I moved the cyclic stick sideways.
Nav, thanks for the detail. I'll double check everything tonite when I get home. That sure sounds like the issue. Yours is replicating the exact same symptoms. Does it change with the ADJ/WK switch as well?
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:21 AM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,967 Posts
Quote:
Does it change with the ADJ/WK switch as well?
Well, I didn't even consider this--I just wanted to get it working, so I sort of just ignored everything that wasn't correct. But I did take special notice of the Pit Rev switch because I wanted to know what it does.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:22 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Nav, thanks for the detail. I'll double check everything tonite when I get home. That sure sounds like the issue. Yours is replicating the exact same symptoms. Does it change with the ADJ/WK switch as well?
No, the servos work the same way with the ADJ/WK SWITCH in either position.
It's only function is to disable the gyro in ADJ so when you are setting up the heli, the gyro can't make any adjustments caused by movement.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:17 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jul 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
No, the servos work the same way with the ADJ/WK SWITCH in either position.
It's only function is to disable the gyro in ADJ so when you are setting up the heli, the gyro can't make any adjustments caused by movement.
My age is decreasing my attention to detail. It turns out the WK/ADJ switch was actually the PIT REV switch. No wonder I thought it was really goofed up. I feel like such an idiot. Once I realized this everything was working normal. WOW. Spent alot of everybodies brain power even my own on this one. Once again thanks for all your time on my ignorance. LOL
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:26 PM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,967 Posts
Part of the trick is to not panick when something changes--there's usually a reasonable explanation. And, please do remember that we are here to help you and others with those issues that we can. Nobody starts out knowing what all these settings do to the heli, I know I sure didn't.

So, it is great that you got that Pit Rev thing figured out. Unfortunately, you should probably go through your entire system to verify that some of the settings were not changed during your confusion. This is actually easy: once the heli is bound to the tx, tilt the heli in various directions and watch the movement of the swashplate. The swash should be clearly attempting to counteract the motion by remaining level. Sure, the swash will also self-center after just a second, but that is not the issue we are concerned with here. Once you are happy with the swash, check the rudder gyro. Unplug the main motor and then give the heli just a bit of throttle to see that the tail motor turns. Then use your hand to move the tail counterclockwise--the tail motor should spool to prevent the motion. Move the tail clockwise, and the motor should pretty much just stop.

Once you have all these things settled, you should be ready to rock & roll.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:51 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
hmm, i swear i've seen this new "Exceed" helicopter somewhere before but i just can't quite put my finger on it. Any ideas anyone??

http://www.xheli.com/exceedheli-x400...24g-devo7.html
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:40 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilberto View Post
hmm, i swear i've seen this new "Exceed" helicopter somewhere before but i just can't quite put my finger on it. Any ideas anyone??

http://www.xheli.com/exceedheli-x400...24g-devo7.html
Some wise man said exceed is the dumping ground for discontinued Walkera models.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk