HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by bighead93, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 01, 2011, 02:15 PM
Rc Fan From Belgium
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2011
381 Posts
Actually handlaunching an EDF is pretty easy and can be done underhand way also as u can see in the following movie.

I do underhand launches on all my edf planes btw and they always work out perfectly.

Grts Dave.

T-45 Goshawk Hobbyking (5 min 19 sec)
Anda Inc. is offline Find More Posts by Anda Inc.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2011, 12:36 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,329 Posts
If the model wing load is low and the weight isn't too high sure. But there are cases where its just not feasible. The video wasn't really a launch because there was more than enough power for the wing load.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2011, 02:29 PM
France, Burgandy, Dijon
Joined Jun 2010
580 Posts
Trust of MIDI FAN PRO with ARC-3665-1 on 6S

Hello

Someone tried the turbine MIDI FAN PRO with ARC-3665-1 on 6S - What is the real Trust ?
(i don't think that 3.6 kg is the reality !! - it's some data on the net)

MADISONMaster
MADISONMaster is offline Find More Posts by MADISONMaster
Old Sep 05, 2011, 05:36 PM
Gravity sucks.
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Mar 2011
562 Posts
Avoid loose surface runways: FOD

or Foreign Object Damage
learn from my fail

The effects of volcanic basalt rock (bitumen road-base) on EDF Fan/Motor Units:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1714

FYI:
Blue metal crusher dust is left over at quarries when they are crushing blue metal (volcanic basalt) rock to be used on bitumen roads. The road constructors buy all of the suitably sized gravel. The 'dust', which contains about 80% dust and 20% fine grit up to 4mm in size, is sold for use in gardens, landscaping, lawns, drive-ways and house slab foundations.
m_ark is offline Find More Posts by m_ark
Old Oct 05, 2011, 12:33 AM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADISONMaster View Post
Hello

Someone tried the turbine MIDI FAN PRO with ARC-3665-1 on 6S - What is the real Trust ?
(i don't think that 3.6 kg is the reality !! - it's some data on the net)

MADISONMaster

Check these data.

http://www.extremerc.com.au/estore/i...ex&cPath=14_62
manuel v is online now Find More Posts by manuel v
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:04 AM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,479 Posts
Picked up my first edf from hobby people durning the black Friday sale. I got the Phase 3 F16. I read this entire thread some good tips in here thanks guys.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:05 AM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
Picked up my first edf from hobby people durning the black Friday sale. I got the Phase 3 F16. I read this entire thread some good tips in here thanks guys.
Good choice, here is the EF-16 thread most of us who have them hang out on: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1336175. Even if flown totally stock the P3 EF-16 is an amazing plane, very stable with great glide characteristics so a good choice as a first edf.

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:51 PM
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1 View Post
Good choice, here is the EF-16 thread most of us who have them hang out on: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1336175. Even if flown totally stock the P3 EF-16 is an amazing plane, very stable with great glide characteristics so a good choice as a first edf.

Sonny
I have started reading bits and pieces of that thread too. When the sale showed up I did a quick search for the plane. As soon as I seen there was tens of thousands of posts about the plane I knew it would be ok with out reading many of them. The biggest thing I will have to get used to is not having instant throttle response. I fly some fairly high performance planes but all of them have props.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 01:49 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2,786 Posts
Quote:
I have started reading bits and pieces of that thread too. When the sale showed up I did a quick search for the plane. As soon as I seen there was tens of thousands of posts about the plane I knew it would be ok with out reading many of them. The biggest thing I will have to get used to is not having instant throttle response. I fly some fairly high performance planes but all of them have props.
Yes, edf's are a little different, especially when hand launching. Make sure you launch outward with a slightly nose up attitude, but don't toss it up or it will stall. I'll attach a video of me launching mine, (your results may vary as I use a Wicked 4800kv motor on a Hyperflow fan; a little hotter than the stock set up...3S though). The EF-16 flies better than most sport planes, extremely stable and easy to fly. Coming upwind into a breeze you can go dead stick and just glide it in for a landing. Mine comes in at 22 oz AUW w/ an Enerland 25C 2200mah lipo. You might consider looking at some of Morgan RC's after market stuff for the plane, I use the screw mounts on mine and love them, (easy access to the power system): http://www.morganmill.com/RC/index.html. And, here's that vid: Sonny

6-20-11 Phase 3 EF-16 foggy day flight (very foggy!)! (2 min 57 sec)
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:02 PM
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,479 Posts
Quote:
Yes, edf's are a little different, especially when hand launching. Make sure you launch outward with a slightly nose up attitude, but don't toss it up or it will stall. I'll attach a video of me launching mine, (your results may vary as I use a Wicked 4800kv motor on a Hyperflow fan; a little hotter than the stock set up...3S though). The EF-16 flies better than most sport planes, extremely stable and easy to fly. Coming upwind into a breeze you can go dead stick and just glide it in for a landing. Mine comes in at 22 oz AUW w/ an Enerland 25C 2200mah lipo. You might consider looking at some of Morgan RC's after market stuff for the plane, I use the screw mounts on mine and love them, (easy access to the power system): http://www.morganmill.com/RC/index.html. And, here's that vid: Sonny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06X14-PD3OA
Thanks for the video. The launch is really what worries me more than anything. I live at 5600 feet above sea level and it can make hand launching a lot of things interesting to say the least. I have a Ritewing Demon that I hand launch and it scares me to death every time I do. If I go down closer to sea level hand launches are a piece of cake. The plane has a 40 inch wing span and weighs right at 70 ounces. If you can make it past the first two seconds your in great shape, the plane does fast really well but doesn't do slow at all.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 04:03 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2,786 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the video. The launch is really what worries me more than anything. I live at 5600 feet above sea level and it can make hand launching a lot of things interesting to say the least. I have a Ritewing Demon that I hand launch and it scares me to death every time I do. If I go down closer to sea level hand launches are a piece of cake. The plane has a 40 inch wing span and weighs right at 70 ounces. If you can make it past the first two seconds your in great shape, the plane does fast really well but doesn't do slow at all.
I keep forgetting to mention that I live and fly at sea level, (some consider that cheating, but it is what it is). A friend of mine here on RCG lives at 5000' and he has had problems with launching edf's because of that, (not the EF-16 though), finally he started going to the top of a hill and launching down the slope to gain enough energy to get the plane airborne. After that though his plane flew fine. You might consider a bungee launch system like the one that comes with the Great Planes Evader, but due to the low wing loading of the EF-16 I suspect that you will be fine; just warm up that arm! Keep us posted on your progress and we'll help all we can.

Sonny
Old Nov 28, 2011, 04:16 PM
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,479 Posts
Quote:
I keep forgetting to mention that I live and fly at sea level, (some consider that cheating, but it is what it is). A friend of mine here on RCG lives at 5000' and he has had problems with launching edf's because of that, (not the EF-16 though), finally he started going to the top of a hill and launching down the slope to gain enough energy to get the plane airborne. After that though his plane flew fine. You might consider a bungee launch system like the one that comes with the Great Planes Evader, but due to the low wing loading of the EF-16 I suspect that you will be fine; just warm up that arm! Keep us posted on your progress and we'll help all we can.

Sonny
I actually did build a bungee for the Demon after beating up the dirt with it one to many times on launch. Video quality sucks but it gets the point across. It was probably clocking about 130ish in the pass at the end of the video. Ran doppler on it and it was way off. I think the house screwed with the sound signature or something.
Ritewing Demon Bungee (1 min 3 sec)
Old Nov 28, 2011, 08:25 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2,786 Posts
Quote:
I actually did build a bungee for the Demon after beating up the dirt with it one to many times on launch. Video quality sucks but it gets the point across. It was probably clocking about 130ish in the pass at the end of the video. Ran doppler on it and it was way off. I think the house screwed with the sound signature or something.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR-l_keXiXg
Fastest white speck I've ever seen, (that's all I could see!). That may work with the EF-16, but with the inlet scoop, (basically the entire fuse bottom), I'm not sure how you would connect it. Looks like there are plenty of hills around, if it were me I would try the "toss down the slope of the hill" method my buddy used; absolutely beautiful scenery by the way. I can see why launching an edf would be a daunting prospect at those altitudes, but obviously the speed of an edf isn't going to be an issue since you're already flying speedsters. You might think about upgrading your power system to offset the effect of the altitude, a lot of guys are running the EF-16 on 4S. Another option would be something like a Wicked 5400, which will push the EF-16 to over 100 on 3S and will fit the stock fan; you may need that extra oomph. I know it's time consuming, but there is a lot of motor/fan options mentioned in the upgrade thread that you might want to look in to, though I suspect that even stock yours will do just fine once airborne, (you just gotta get it launched first). Perhaps someone will pipe in here who has some experience flying this plane stock at those altitudes, like I said before, I'm "cheating" by flying at sea level!

Sonny
Old Dec 05, 2011, 03:47 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
My first EDF experience

Hi All, Great Noob thread. Thanks for the ideas.

I bought a Hobbyking Stinger 64 EDf as my first EDF. $53 air frame and around $100 delivered PNF.

The first flight was close to my last with this plane because I did not set my throws correctly.

I've flown prop planes from Sky Surfers to slow sticks, to J3 Cubs, to Mustangs, 109s, Spitfires, and B17 bombers before buying this Stinger.

The thing that got me was not so much the speed but the roll rate. This thing, with full throws, was like an electric drill. I lost orientation on right side up or down and over did it and drilled it into the ground. Heart broken!

Setting my rates on my radio down to 50% and 85% dual rates on a switch made it totally manageable. Luckily, I boiled the nose and straightened her out to fly again.

The Stinger doesn't tip stall agressively and is easy to land. comes with proper hinged surfaces and fuel tubing over the clevis pins and plenty of power to hand launch underarm. I'm really glad I went this route and would recommend it to my friend looking to get into EDFs.

my 2 cents,
Harold
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Dec 14, 2011, 08:42 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined May 2011
157 Posts
ive considered getting a few edf jets for my first edf, i was more or less settled on a HK T-45... until i found out that shipping costs 70 f%^&* dollars!!!, and i live about 30 mins away from their USA warehouse! i want to know more about the stinger 64, im ordering from HL, but it should be the same thing. Just wondering for future reference, where is your CG on it, can it fly in a medium sized park, how fast is it, and on a scale of 1 to 10 how easy is the hand launch (10 being the hardest to launch)
giantkevmiester is offline Find More Posts by giantkevmiester