HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:31 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
70 Posts
Hi again Josh,

After reading ... I have now removed the elevator section from the Extra, cut and epoxied a 3mm square box section piece of CF across the entire length of the Horiz Stab ... have to say, that piece of foam is now so rigid, you could surf on it :-)

I have also sliced through the middle of the Rudder and inserted a 3mm wide piece of flat CF, secured with CA ... The rudder is now also very stiff.

Weather permitting, I will fly her tomorrow and see what characteristic differences these CF mods have made.

If not enough, i'll look into the vortex generators from the link you posted, thanks.

Will let you know flying results tomorrow.

Thanks again, appreciated ;-)

Andrew
orbit_01 is offline Find More Posts by orbit_01
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:29 AM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,577 Posts
Vortex Generators allow a higher angle of attack and much more controlled slow flight as well as a gentler stall.

SFGs have been tried by many with some success. Search attachments using thread tools and you will find some templates.

I am using 12 mm elevator movement and have had no stalls with fine manuverability. To do this I used both mechanical ant rates on the TX.

Another useful mod is the APC 12x6 prop. Lots of thrust and that helps with manuevering at slow speeds.

Piece of advice on the vortex generators. The paint comes off easily. I advise a little ca on some plastic. Glue to the paint and yank it off exposing bare foam. You can use Tamaya orange for touch up.
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:54 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,914 Posts
Good job! I probably would've still been thinking about it, and you're done!
Have fun,
J

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbit_01 View Post
Hi again Josh,

After reading ... I have now removed the elevator section from the Extra, cut and epoxied a 3mm square box section piece of CF across the entire length of the Horiz Stab ... have to say, that piece of foam is now so rigid, you could surf on it :-)

I have also sliced through the middle of the Rudder and inserted a 3mm wide piece of flat CF, secured with CA ... The rudder is now also very stiff.

Weather permitting, I will fly her tomorrow and see what characteristic differences these CF mods have made.

If not enough, i'll look into the vortex generators from the link you posted, thanks.

Will let you know flying results tomorrow.

Thanks again, appreciated ;-)

Andrew
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:27 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
Vortex Generators allow a higher angle of attack and much more controlled slow flight as well as a gentler stall.

SFGs have been tried by many with some success. Search attachments using thread tools and you will find some templates.

I am using 12 mm elevator movement and have had no stalls with fine manuverability. To do this I used both mechanical ant rates on the TX.

Another useful mod is the APC 12x6 prop. Lots of thrust and that helps with manuevering at slow speeds.

Piece of advice on the vortex generators. The paint comes off easily. I advise a little ca on some plastic. Glue to the paint and yank it off exposing bare foam. You can use Tamaya orange for touch up.
I was going to pin them into the wingtip when decide to do this. I used to have nylon pins for attaching lexan wings together rc cars
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:05 AM
Joined May 2011
1,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
I was going to pin them into the wingtip when decide to do this. I used to have nylon pins for attaching lexan wings together rc cars
Check lateral balance when adding weight to the wingtips.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:53 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
70 Posts
Hi guys, thanks for all the good info, appreciated.

Bad weather and work have been getting in the way of flying my Extra, so I'll see how my tail mods react and then decide on the need for wingtip sfg's and/or vortex generators.

I like the idea of the 12x6 prop, I have a few of them laying in a box so I'll balance one up and give it a go.

Also, on the subject of tail stiffening mods, I did another on the Vert Stab by inserting 2 CF rods vertically in a cross shape through the Vert Stab and into the foam above the Horiz Stab. I then secured these new CF rods with CA.
The entire tailend of my Extra is now very much stiffer than stock, so hopefully that will make a very positive difference.

Flight report to follow...

Cheers

Andrew
orbit_01 is offline Find More Posts by orbit_01
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:57 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
I brought the E300 out yesterday, I have to fly it last since I brought my Albatross and Neuiport with....bad mix of planes....My landings were all messed up and I was trying to go TOO slow to land....thanks to the bipes....lol
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:05 AM
Joined May 2011
1,577 Posts
Vortex Generators revisited

I just flew the Extra. Stock with an APC 12x6 prop.

Using the instructions for vortex generators I added them 1/2 up the wing and every 3" along the wing.

Results

Enhanced slow flight cantrol
Stable nose-drop stall
Increased aileron effectiveness especially in slow flight
Gentle landings with a shorter approach.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:31 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
I might give the s.f.g.s a shot, but i dunno no.
I kind of like the pucker moment on a high speed landing
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:38 PM
Joined May 2011
1,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
I might give the s.f.g.s a shot, but i dunno no.
I kind of like the pucker moment on a high speed landing
Who said you can't still. Just gives some options and allows for smaller fields. Great with aerobatics
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:52 PM
AMA 52726
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
I just flew the Extra. Stock with an APC 12x6 prop.

Using the instructions for vortex generators I added them 1/2 up the wing and every 3" along the wing.

Results

Enhanced slow flight cantrol
Stable nose-drop stall
Increased aileron effectiveness especially in slow flight
Gentle landings with a shorter approach.
Which instructions did you use? I've been looking for instructions but can't find any. I know what they look like, and I've seen plenty on full-scale aircraft but I haven't seen any instructions for the Extra 300. Do you have a link, perhaps? I want to try these out.
Edge767 is offline Find More Posts by Edge767
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Inspections
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:42 PM
Joined May 2011
1,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
Which instructions did you use? I've been looking for instructions but can't find any. I know what they look like, and I've seen plenty on full-scale aircraft but I haven't seen any instructions for the Extra 300. Do you have a link, perhaps? I want to try these out.
I'll post a link when I have access to my desktop. I posted them here but can't find the link.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:45 PM
Joined May 2011
1,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
Follow this link

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=7100
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:53 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jan 2012
212 Posts
So I purchased this plane flew it one time and crash landed into a snow bank. I fixed it up and tried to fly her again but it didn't have enough power to take off anymore. I figured that it was due to snow getting in the electric motor. So I purchased a new stock motor put her in and Im having the same problem. Im guessing its the ESC and not the motor now? I have also heard that the 30amp ESC is not well suited for the motor and should be using a 35 or 40 amp ESC? Could somebody recommend me a good ESC for this plane? Maybe one cheaper than the $45 stock one.

Thanks
xrichierichx is offline Find More Posts by xrichierichx
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:33 AM
Joined May 2011
1,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrichierichx View Post
So I purchased this plane flew it one time and crash landed into a snow bank. I fixed it up and tried to fly her again but it didn't have enough power to take off anymore. I figured that it was due to snow getting in the electric motor. So I purchased a new stock motor put her in and Im having the same problem. Im guessing its the ESC and not the motor now? I have also heard that the 30amp ESC is not well suited for the motor and should be using a 35 or 40 amp ESC? Could somebody recommend me a good ESC for this plane? Maybe one cheaper than the $45 stock one.

Thanks
Could the battery have filled with snow?
Describe the engine sound. Low RPM or surging?
Check all your wires. Could one of the three ESC wires have pulled loose?