HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:55 PM
P31
United States, WA, Spanaway
Joined Dec 2011
598 Posts
Thats alot of Burban and ciggaretts. To me, thats a little over kill. I don't think it has to be that complicated. I'll keep pondering the situation I'm sure there is an easy way to do the same thing.
Gary
P31 is offline Find More Posts by P31
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:59 PM
Joined Oct 2006
809 Posts
lovely lovely!!...
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:17 AM
los angeles
Joined Jan 2009
87 Posts
DanL has a great working crossover jibs. The detailed description is in his Siren thread and in the square sail systems thread. I have a system that should work pretty well in my Kruzenahtern thread (recently posted, too). Mine is yet untested in the water, though. To use it for multiple headsails, simply attach multiple sheets to the same control line.
yalex is online now Find More Posts by yalex
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:43 AM
P31
Joined Dec 2011
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yalex View Post
DanL has a great working crossover jibs. The detailed description is in his Siren thread and in the square sail systems thread. I have a system that should work pretty well in my Kruzenahtern thread (recently posted, too). Mine is yet untested in the water, though. To use it for multiple headsails, simply attach multiple sheets to the same control line.
I have been looking at both systems and I like them. I will study them some more, Thank you Sir.
Gary
Old Mar 12, 2013, 05:24 PM
P31
Joined Dec 2011
598 Posts
I'm going with one fore sail for now, the fore sail and main will be run off two servo's with a Y conector. I'll do this untill I see how she is going to handle. What would be the best sheet line to use, I have some 10Lb breaded fishing line I think would be good.
Gary
Old Mar 12, 2013, 09:37 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P31 View Post
I'm going with one fore sail for now, the fore sail and main will be run off two servo's with a Y conector. I'll do this untill I see how she is going to handle. What would be the best sheet line to use, I have some 10Lb breaded fishing line I think would be good.
Gary
Sounds like a good plan to keep it simple-

Main and stays'l only- you can still rig the boat as a cutter but just fly the two sails (stays'l is the aft most of the two jibs)

you might look at adding a club to the bottom of your stays'l to allow it to be self tacking.

I may have missed it but have you chosen your sail servos yet? there are a couple of different ways you might approach setting up a simple two sail rig-

10 pound (braided dacron?) would probably be adequate but you might find heavier line like 70lb test, braided dacron to be less 'fiddly' to handle and would appear more 'scale'.

Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:42 PM
P31
Joined Dec 2011
598 Posts
I'll take some pick's tomarrow to show what I have going. I owned a 30 foot Catalina and sailed all over puget sound, but never sailed a two masted boat, alway's wanted one, so if I give the wrong nominclature, sorry but I think you know what I'm talking about.
Gary
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:18 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,690 Posts
Quote:
I owned a 30 foot Catalina and sailed all over puget sound ...
Nice boat and a lovely place to sail/cruise.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 01:39 PM
P31
Joined Dec 2011
598 Posts
Here is the setup I'm going to use for now anyway. I have several type's of sail servo's. I have the wench type, don't quite know how to use those, I have the old Dumas wench and that's the methode I'm planning to incororate in my boat. It's simple and works fine. I just don't see the reason for all that mechanical nightmare just to set a sail. I think they are a work of art but not for me.
Gary
Old Mar 13, 2013, 02:09 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,690 Posts
Quote:
Here is the setup I'm going to use...
Perfection- simple and effective.

the old Dumas geared wench should work well.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 02:11 AM
P31
Joined Dec 2011
598 Posts
I thought I would post some pictures of where I am on the Archer. I had to do my own version on the side rails sense they were not in the kit, got this on a trade and some parts were missing. My wife made the sail's, she did ok on the main, but the jib well we have to do that one over, I just have to figure out how to tell her She took 13 # of shot to get her to the water line. I plan to take her out next week if the weather let's me.
Gary
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:19 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,690 Posts
Quote:
...the jib well we have to do that one over, I just have to figure out how to tell her
I might suggest that you ask your sailmaker to make a new stays'l (flown from the stem instead of the bowsprit) and use that instead of your large jib- you might find that your current sail plan will have the CE a little far forward. Just a guess/opinion based on your posted pictures.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 01:21 PM
P31
Joined Dec 2011
598 Posts
In the process as I post, I will use your suggestion to show the little woman
Just to keep her in the game.
Gary
Old Mar 26, 2013, 06:34 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,577 Posts
Beautiful! Am sure you'll be the envy at your local pond.
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Mar 26, 2013, 06:48 PM
P31
Joined Dec 2011
598 Posts
Thank you herrmill, those are good words coming from one of the best.
Gary