Joined Feb 2012
1,141 Posts
I need to tag this one.
SrTelemaster is offline Find More Posts by SrTelemaster
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:03 AM
Joined May 2011
257 Posts
Great model...love the lines of the Spitfire. On the painting; yes, light colors should be applied first, then darker ones. If you are masking w/ something other than professional products (like plain masking tape), use a straight edge and an exacto to recut the edges. Tape right off of the roll actually has jagged edges that can cause an irregular line and bleed under. A trick I use for camo schemes and other curved lines is to cut a very thin strip of masking tape...thin enough to bend and curve. This forms the paint line, then I fill in behind it w/ larger pieces of tape.The clear coat trick works, but you can also lightly burnish the tape edges down w/ a toothpick. Also, don't be afraid to use multiple light coats that dry quickly, and avoid spraying paint directly at the tape edge. This avoids the paint build up, which causes ridges and bleeding...
LuftM40 is offline Find More Posts by LuftM40
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:21 PM
Dweebster
United States, MA, Charlton
Joined Sep 2008
696 Posts
perfectplanes, I used a CB Associates spinner, which I believe is the P-40 one. It's shape is different than the P-51 version they have.

Thanks for the tips, LuftM40. I'm always looking for ways to improve.

Still waiting for spring.
dweeb7944 is offline Find More Posts by dweeb7944