Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 09, 2011, 10:22 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Build Log
Stevens AeroModels - SkyBuggy (100)

Started one of my three StevensAero kits. The SkyBuggy (100) is the one that pulled me in. I have to say that it will be a pleasure to build these SA kits because the laser cut is exceptional!
simages is offline Find More Posts by simages
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by simages; Mar 20, 2011 at 10:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2011, 01:42 AM
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Feb 2011
53 Posts
Nice, can't wait to see how your build progresses!
CADGURU is offline Find More Posts by CADGURU
Old Mar 12, 2011, 08:04 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADGURU View Post
Nice, can't wait to see how your build progresses!
Me too, have all next week off and have the othe SA kits too!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:23 AM
Joined Feb 2011
53 Posts
I am currently scratch building a low wing sport plane....I did a lot of redesign of the plans in CAD; then had my major parts laser-cut. First time I have done that for a scratch build....If you wish to check out my build here's the link:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1402336

Definitely could use some feed back
Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:24 AM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Sep 2009
705 Posts
simages, +1 on the SA kits. I built one of their 50" Edge 540's a couple of years ago, was a great airplane. The quality of their kits is very good IMHO.
speedy72vega is offline Find More Posts by speedy72vega
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:40 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Quote:
I am currently scratch building a low wing sport plane....I did a lot of redesign of the plans in CAD; then had my major parts laser-cut. First time I have done that for a scratch build....If you wish to check out my build here's the link:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1402336 Definitely could use some feed back
Very cool.... technology these days CAD, laser cut $15-$50 is really great. I subscribed to your build thread and that's pretty cool about helping to setup AKM Laser with aircraft cutting services.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:40 AM
Joined Feb 2011
53 Posts
AKM has been cutting models for years....(I did not help them) They have been providing excellent service long before I had caught up with them.

I am helping Trinity River Studios get set up for model cutting.
As mentioned, they just got their laser for engraving and I told them the could expand markets and get into balsa cutting for customs and such. They knew nothing about cutting balsa so I brought them plans and we started working out all the techniques.

Thanks for subcribing to my thread, I got a lot of work done I'll post pics soon.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 06:16 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Quote:
AKM has been cutting models for years....(I did not help them) They have been providing excellent service long before I had caught up with them.
I am helping Trinity River Studios get set up for model cutting.
As mentioned, they just got their laser for engraving and I told them the could expand markets and get into balsa cutting for customs and such. They knew nothing about cutting balsa so I brought them plans and we started working out all the techniques.
Thanks for subcribing to my thread, I got a lot of work done I'll post pics soon.
Even Cooler......
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2011, 07:40 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
A bit more done.....

Was able to cover the wing, build the fuse and cover it as well. I have to say; the AeroLite covering that SA offers really compliments the build. Not to mention applies fantastic per at 175 - 190, then shrinks drum tight.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by simages; Mar 15, 2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:48 AM
Joined Feb 2011
53 Posts
Wow its really coming along, Covering already! I guess I should not be too jealous. Its been a while since I built any aircraft and I am scratch building a prototype. There are bound to be issues (and have been) with my build.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 08:02 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Added the trim and landing gear today. Should complete it tomorrow and know the 300 will build just as easy!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:37 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Rainy day helped to finish the SKYBUGGY 100. All that's left is the top wing trim and the maiden flight, hopefully the wind is down tomorrow! Still very much impressed with the kit quality, instructions, hardware and well.... STEVENS AeroModel in general!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by simages; Mar 16, 2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 07:05 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,368 Posts
Looking great! glad you are enjoying the build.

-Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by simages View Post
Rainy day helped to finish the SKYBUGGY 100. All that's left is the top wing trim and the maiden flight, hopefully the wind is down tomorrow! Still very much impressed with the kit quality, instructions, hardware and well.... STEVENS AeroModel in general!
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Old Mar 17, 2011, 07:40 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens AeroModel View Post
Looking great! glad you are enjoying the build. -Bill
Like I said, it's a pleasure..... Thanks for posting Bill. Glad I went to the WRAM Show in NY otherwise I still wouldn't know about the SA models..... Unfortunately it was too windy today for a maiden however; daylight savings is finally here!

Only overlooked 2 things; installing the F5b reversed so the motor hole needed trimming to ensure the thrust alignment. Thought I put front forward and I'm sure it was marked FRONT. Then I realized that I forgot to sand the 45 bevel on the rudder, but that didn't interfere with the control having enoght space with the tape.....

Although, I have the SKYBUGGY 300, I want to get started on the SkyBoy 600 next and should be here by Saturday!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by simages; Mar 20, 2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 12:28 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Added the wing trim......
RCG Plus Member