HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:11 PM
My Corter Is Borken
United States, OH, Newark
Joined Jun 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
Sounds like you got a bad one...mine hauls in accel mode.
Not sure what the deal was, but I got it working now. I don't know that it "hauls", but there's a small improvement in forward speed.
MC808 is offline Find More Posts by MC808
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:13 PM
My Corter Is Borken
Joined Jun 2012
333 Posts
I gotta say this little heli is growing on me. Maybe it's because I haven't been able to fly my 107 (it died) since I got this, and/or I'm just getting more used to the controls, I don't know. But for whatever reason, I like it a lot more now than I first did. Superb stability and hovering, decent speed, good response to control inputs in general. For $23 you can't really complain.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 07:45 PM
We NEED a LiPo w a USB plug!!!
Orland Park, Illinois
Joined Feb 2010
425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC808 View Post
I gotta say this little heli is growing on me. Maybe it's because I haven't been able to fly my 107 (it died) since I got this, and/or I'm just getting more used to the controls, I don't know. But for whatever reason, I like it a lot more now than I first did. Superb stability and hovering, decent speed, good response to control inputs in general. For $23 you can't really complain.
They do that (grow on you, I mean), it's kinda weird.

I bought a box of 'em through Amazon (6, I think), then was sorry for being so impulsive. But every time I run out of everything else to fly, I end up goofing around with Drift Kings and HCW's.
I used to grouch about the Drift King's tendency to wander off it's own sometimes (it's probably the pilot most of the time). But Drift Kings always seem soooo docile compared my obnoxious little v911's.
IceRail is offline Find More Posts by IceRail
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:25 PM
My Corter Is Borken
Joined Jun 2012
333 Posts
I just discovered something that might be of interest to those owning a Drift King and a USB charger from a Syma S110G.
I decided to try charging my 110 (70 mah) with the DK's charger, and it reached full charge sooner than I expected. So, just to see what would happen, I plugged the 110 back into it's own charger. It didn't shut off for another 10 minutes.
I then charged the already "full" DK with the Syma charger, and it too charged for another 10 minutes or so.
I'd say I got maybe a minute more runtime, maybe a little less, from the DK.

So, my conclusion is that the DK's charger (or at least MY charger) doesn't give the battery a full charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceRail View Post
But Drift Kings always seem soooo docile compared my obnoxious little v911's.
Funny you mention the V911. I got one coming next week.
Are they the same size as the Drift King?
Last edited by MC808; Jun 23, 2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 08:49 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,379 Posts
MC808, Yes they are same size. I have both. DK is mode 4 and my V911 is correct heli mode 2. I don't fly DK much anymore but it still is fun. V911 is a good bird and flys well. The V911 you need to get it up quickly or drift will be bad. Both heli's are fun but V911 is getting into real heli flying when you hit high rates. The 9958 is another good little bird also.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jun 24, 2012, 05:43 PM
My Corter Is Borken
Joined Jun 2012
333 Posts
Cool, that's exactly why I ordered one.

I switch the DK Tx into the other mode now, in preparation for the V911. But, from what I've read, the V911 Tx also has a mode switch, does it not?
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:25 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,120 Posts
Quote:
Cool, that's exactly why I ordered one.

I switch the DK Tx into the other mode now, in preparation for the V911. But, from what I've read, the V911 Tx also has a mode switch, does it not?
No, it doesn't. It's a different kind of mode - a case of Lost in Translation.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:19 PM
Orland Park, Illinois
Joined Feb 2010
425 Posts
What HP said!

The v911's Tx says "mode 1" on the LCD display, but you have to learn to ignore that - they are mode 2.

(pay attention and make sure you order "mode 2" when ordering anyway)
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:01 PM
My Corter Is Borken
Joined Jun 2012
333 Posts
Ok, so the LCD says "Mode 1" even though you can't actually change modes, and on top of that it's actually Mode 2?

Got it! LOL

...and there was no mention of mode or option of mode 2 when I ordered.

Boy I'm having a rough time with Mode 2 on this Drift King. I'm heading for a wall and my instincts kick in and I use the right stick, smacking into the wall head-on while drifting parallel to it. lol
Even from back in the days with my Tamyia Hornet and stick transmitter, the right stick IS turn...it's seared into my brain to turn with the right stick.
Last edited by MC808; Jun 24, 2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 01:01 AM
Orland Park, Illinois
Joined Feb 2010
425 Posts
Quote:
Ok, so the LCD says "Mode 1" even though you can't actually change modes, and on top of that it's actually Mode 2?
Exactly.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:20 PM
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
Got my Drift King today and have tons of fun chasing the dog around the house with it. Once I changed the controls I picked it right up and flew it easy. Way to fun for the $20 I spent on it.
afrats is offline Find More Posts by afrats
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:46 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,598 Posts
Old thread is old.

I just picked one of these up recently to have as a cheap-o office toy.

The switch to mode 2 (hold both buttons down while powering on the TX) works like a charm. The "aileron" control is kind of bang-bang but you can do some neat little nose-in and tail-in funnels with it. The dual-mode elevator control is great--just like my JXD339s.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:55 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,598 Posts
I posted my thoughts on the JXD 340 over in the S800G thread. Since that information really belongs over here, here's a repost:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Hi Heli Pad, I'm not sure I'm in a position to answer that question yet. These little guys only arrived on Monday and I've not had too much of a chance to fly them yet. I've been diagnosing short flight times on my TRex 100X and now have a Nano with bad vibrations/shakes that I'm dealing with. LOL

I'm not going to be able to give you an objective answer until I can do the mode 2 mod on my S800G TX. However, I will give you my thoughts on the JXD 340 since I did get a chance to fly that around in mode 2 some last night.

First of all, if you fly it in mode 4 and don't touch the aileron, you can consider the JXD 340 to be a speedier and more aggressive version of the S107G. There's no spring on the throttle stick. There is a button you can press to put the tail motor into "high rate" which gives you much faster FF. There's a button that you can press to toggle the blinky LED array that this thing sports as well. I never touch the aileron in mode 4 because that totally messes me up.

Now, in mode 2, it flies well enough as a 4ch except that the aileron is essentially "bang-bang" at least it feels that way. It's either centered or it's all the way to one side or the other. When you do shift it to one side or another, it puts a bit of a shudder through the heli and you need to be able to compensate a little with the throttle to keep it at the same height. Other than that, you can fly this thing passably well as if you were flying a MCX but it just doesn't feel as agile because the elev and aile control doesn't have much variation. Still, you can fly sideways, do some nose-in and tail-in funnels, and in general do what you would normally do with a heli that actually had a functional swashplate. It's not bad. Then you can always "downshift" and fly it in mode 4 like a S107G if you like.

Be careful of the power plug. It's got the same connector as the S107G. I have no idea whether the polarity is correct though. The power plug LED is also backwards from the S107G. It lights up when its charging and turns off when it's not.

After I get my S800G TX converted, I'll let you know about that heli. I will say that in my initial testing, I found that it doesn't fly straight. It tends to fly diagonally--much more so than the MCX/2.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:16 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts
I've encountered the throttle problem, twice. Has anyone figured out where the problem is?
I bought a Drift King JXD340 a few weeks ago, and after playing with Air Hogs over the last couple of years with my grandson, the Drift King was a pleasure. It was much more stable. And then it stopped working. As others reported, when I advance the throttle, the motors rev, then cut out when the lever is about halfway across. OK, I thought, this was cheap enough. I'll buy another. Surely I can figure out the problem if I have two. Nope. The second one was bad out of the box. There's one way I can advance the throttle all the way: If I pull the right-hand lever all the way to the right. No help there.
If anyone has clearly determined the fault, I haven't seen it in this thread. I'm willing to replace motors, batteries, even (gulp) a control board -- or controller. But I'd like to narrow the problem down to what's most likely at fault.
Bobball is offline Find More Posts by Bobball
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:05 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,598 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forums!!!

Sorry to hear about the problems with your 340s. I have two new (within the last month) 340s so I can't say i've experienced any problems (yet). However, if it were up to me, I'd return the one that was bad out of the box right away and get a working model in exchange. I find that having a working model for reference can really help when debugging a bad one.

Good luck and keep us up to date with what you find out!
RCG Plus Member