HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:49 PM
Fly More Crash Less
AZAerobat's Avatar
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Sep 2007
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbookfrank View Post
Hi Matt, My name is Frank and I am an RC Addict ... 3dhs are my prefered Plane/drug of choice though I do like to chill out on sailplanes every now and then, or just a little taste with a 4SITE to get me thru the day at work. Helecopters are like crank to me, nasty little basterds and just frustrating.
I dabbled in RC several years ago but quit when I saw where it was going. Picked up again in last December and have no desire to quit!

Anyway, My 40" EPP Edge came today! going to be a late night I am afraid.

Congrats! Welcome back to the club. I think everyone takes a break from this hobby at one point in time in their lives. I did too but I was also going through college at that time and finding out how much fun girls can be. I am only starting to dabble in Heli's. I have a MCPX and a Blade 450. Just have to keep practicing flying both 3D planes and normal Heli Flying. I am not at the level I want to be at with either of them. Hopefully I will get there some day. I love my EPP edge BTW. It probably has the most flights on it out of any other plane in my hanger and I have had a few of those planes for years!

P.S. I was one of the first to get and build this plane so I am flying it without any of the suggested mods, yet. Adding extra hinges to the ailerons is a very good idea. They do flex way too much at high speed. Low and slow they are fine. I just anticipate the lack of control as of right now. When I get bored or when the bad weather moves in I will probably start modding it but right now I am having too much fun with it.
AZAerobat is online now Find More Posts by AZAerobat
Last edited by AZAerobat; Sep 27, 2012 at 02:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:59 PM
Registered User
teshiecat's Avatar
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAerobat View Post
Congrats! Welcome back to the club. I think everyone takes a break from this hobby at one point in time in their lives. I did too but I was also going through college at that time and finding out how much fun girls can be. I am only starting to dabble in Heli's. I have a MCPX and a Blade 450. Just have to keep practicing flying both 3D planes and normal Heli Flying. I am not at the level I want to be at with either of them. Hopefully I will get there some day. I love my EPP edge BTW. It probably has the most flights on it out of any other plane in my hanger and I have had a few of those planes for years!

P.S. I was one of the first to get and build this plane so I am flying it without any of the suggested mods, yet. Adding extra hinges to the ailerons is a very good idea. They do flex way too much at high speed. Low and slow they are fine. I just anticipate the lack of control as of right now. When I get bored or when the bad weather moves in I will probably start modding it but right now I am having too much fun with it.
IMO the extra hinges for the ailerons is the only mod needed anyway. anything else I did was just personal preference or weight saving, like leaving off the spats, shortening axles. Minimal epoxying seams around firewall has helped I think as I've nosed the new one in once with no damage.. amazing! plus a drop or 2 of CA st the rear of the wing - SFG join helps with rigidity, just need to slice through it if repairs to SFG are necessary. I used foam safe CA to repair wing tip and SFG of my second one, with no extra weight when weighed afterwards.. nice

ps Same here, i fly this edge VERY often now, I absolutely love it.. I'm just about finished building my 57" PA Katana MX so I might be flying my edge a bit less after that.
teshiecat is online now Find More Posts by teshiecat
Last edited by teshiecat; Sep 27, 2012 at 11:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:30 PM
Registered User
bigbookfrank's Avatar
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2004
118 Posts
You guys are as addicted as me... Got the tail and wheels on tonight. Should have her in the air Sunday, and cant wait. Been flying my second 41" Edge but between my lack of 3d skills and to much epoxy I just am not getting much better on it. i think the 40" Epp will take me to the next level. The balsas are just still squirly to me when practicing 3d stuff.... And they break to easy. The 41" is tuff compared to my first balsa, a mini funtana but still need foam as low as I like to fly and CRash!
Goodnight my fellow addicts


Quote:
Originally Posted by teshiecat View Post
IMO the extra hinges for the ailerons is the only mod needed anyway. anything else I did was just personal preference or weight saving, like leaving off the spats, shortening axles. Minimal epoxying seams around firewall has helped I think as I've nosed the new one in once with no damage.. amazing! plus a drop or 2 of CA st the rear of the wing - SFG join helps with rigidity, just need to slice through it if repairs to SFG are necessary. I used foam safe CA to repair wing tip and SFG of my second one, with no extra weight when weighed afterwards.. nice

ps Same here, i fly this edge VERY often now, I absolutely love it.. I'm just about finished building my 57" PA Katana MX so I might be flying my edge a bit less after that.
bigbookfrank is offline Find More Posts by bigbookfrank
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:46 AM
Registered User
teshiecat's Avatar
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbookfrank View Post
You guys are as addicted as me... Got the tail and wheels on tonight. Should have her in the air Sunday, and cant wait. Been flying my second 41" Edge but between my lack of 3d skills and to much epoxy I just am not getting much better on it. i think the 40" Epp will take me to the next level. The balsas are just still squirly to me when practicing 3d stuff.... And they break to easy. The 41" is tuff compared to my first balsa, a mini funtana but still need foam as low as I like to fly and CRash!
Goodnight my fellow addicts
ya definitely very addicted! you're right about this plane.. it has been a big help to my flying, and is perfect for practicing hovers and stuff down low.. due to it's shape it's really easy to correct and 'catch' yourself it falling out of TR's and hovers, and stays locked in hovers VERY well. KE is solid at an unbelievably slow speed. roling harriers are very solid and easy too at very low throttle. KE spins nice and tight and loud and whacks to a crisp spinny inverted harrier exit nicely.. it does it all and nice and aggressive too. long inverted harriers are totally solid. etc etc

the other thing you'll love about it is if you fumble it hovering inched off the ground and you 'drop' it on the ground, it is so robust.. my first one plopped down on the ground dozens of times and just kept foam safe CA ing the SFG's back together, put the wing tips on again, the rudder top (when I exited a KE spin WAY too low!).. so many bingles and just dusted it off and chucked it up again.
teshiecat is online now Find More Posts by teshiecat
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:12 AM
fly and then fly some more!
nickelbn1's Avatar
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Wonder how this motor would work? almost the same specs at half the price and a good company....

http://www.twistedhobbys.com/Outrunn...78g-1100kv.htm
nickelbn1 is online now Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:00 AM
fly and then fly some more!
nickelbn1's Avatar
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
I thought of something last night....teshiecat...arent you using NewPower servos on your plane that you have not been having aileron issues with?
nickelbn1 is online now Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:18 AM
Registered User
bigbookfrank's Avatar
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2004
118 Posts
That looks just like the Omega only Orange.... Looks like it would work but maybe someone else on here knows why they are so cheap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
Wonder how this motor would work? almost the same specs at half the price and a good company....

http://www.twistedhobbys.com/Outrunn...78g-1100kv.htm
bigbookfrank is offline Find More Posts by bigbookfrank
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:34 AM
fly and then fly some more!
nickelbn1's Avatar
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
People sure like them and recommend them on their TH planes.
nickelbn1 is online now Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:11 AM
Registered User
teshiecat's Avatar
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
I thought of something last night....teshiecat...arent you using NewPower servos on your plane that you have not been having aileron issues with?
he he! sort of no issues.. yesterday I entertained my friends with the discovery that an aileron servo had cooked mid-flight again.. I was able to nurse it down and found that luckily it had stopped pretty close to neutral..that happened on my 6s habu a month ago too. so they do perform very well when they're working, but not very reliable at the moment..

this was the first one fro the new batch that was sent after epbuddy restocked. Dale is looking after me well i think.. he's spoken to the manufacturer and they've asked me to send them for testing at the factory China, and will cover my postage cost and work out something for the servos he said..

I'm just bummed as it was a gamble considering the price, but there's barely anything comparable in specs,(3/3.5kg/cm dig mg bb) so wish they had held up.. I bought over 50 of the little suckers to have my next years planes sorted! and 30 of the 17g digital mg bb ones at 3/3.5kg/cm too

sometimes in hover I've noticed a considerable rudder and elevator flutter at times.. i have had a very wiggly newpower rudder servo for a while which used to dance when sitting on the ground, so could've been that. But i think with the flexible epp a resonant flutter sometimes happens in hover..
this doesn't seem to affect flight performance to me, still feels rock solid.
teshiecat is online now Find More Posts by teshiecat
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:20 AM
Registered User
teshiecat's Avatar
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
Wonder how this motor would work? almost the same specs at half the price and a good company....

http://www.twistedhobbys.com/Outrunn...78g-1100kv.htm
should be fine.. I'd still like to fly this plane with a 72-78 g motor.. would be ok power still and really light.. could easily save weight with a 30A speedy too. and battery on the smaller side.. would work well with a slow fly 11x3.8 or a 10x5 maybe.. might take an 11x5.5

I've got a pA thrust 20 weighing 72g from an addiction I'd like to try sometime.. need to change the shaft round first
teshiecat is online now Find More Posts by teshiecat
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:33 AM
fly and then fly some more!
nickelbn1's Avatar
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
The reason i asked if you were using the NP servos is because they put out the same torque at 5.5v as the hs65mg ones put out at 6v. So maybe that is why some of us are having possible blowback on our ailerons even using the hitec servos. Because they need the extra torque 6v would give. Maybe???
nickelbn1 is online now Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:33 AM
fly and then fly some more!
nickelbn1's Avatar
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teshiecat View Post
should be fine.. I'd still like to fly this plane with a 72-78 g motor.. would be ok power still and really light.. could easily save weight with a 30A speedy too. and battery on the smaller side.. would work well with a slow fly 11x3.8 or a 10x5 maybe.. might take an 11x5.5

I've got a pA thrust 20 weighing 72g from an addiction I'd like to try sometime.. need to change the shaft round first
This is a 78g motor.....
nickelbn1 is online now Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:01 PM
Registered User
3171scott's Avatar
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Apr 2011
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
The reason i asked if you were using the NP servos is because they put out the same torque at 5.5v as the hs65mg ones put out at 6v. So maybe that is why some of us are having possible blowback on our ailerons even using the hitec servos. Because they need the extra torque 6v would give. Maybe???
Nickel, what speedo r you using? If it a castle you can set the voltage with the castle link.

Also running the cheeper motors are fine, they are just not as consistant between them. Some run better than others. Ther bigest prob i have seen is that they dont take as many hits as the higher quality ones. I have seen the smaller indoor ones guys go through 3 motors in a couple of mints flying indoors. They were hitting the gym floor quite a bit though.
3171scott is offline Find More Posts by 3171scott
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:28 PM
Registered User
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
People sure like them and recommend them on their TH planes.
I would think that motor is no different than a Turnigy 35(D)30(L) KV1100. EMP (or some other Chinese motor companies) makes these motors and rebranded them everywhere. I have good experienced with EMP/Turnigy/Rc timer 3530 series motor. Real life 350W with 12x6 APC, but the back plate get very hot after back-to-back flight. Got them on eBay for $12 shipped and have hundreds of fights on them so no compliant here.

I do have an Omega 72 on my Ultimate Bipe, my test was 280W with 11x5 APC, have not tried a 12x6 yet but Omega runs much smoother in my view.

I also have good experience with Corona servos, wondering how others feel about this brand?
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:30 PM
fly and then fly some more!
nickelbn1's Avatar
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3171scott View Post
Nickel, what speedo r you using? If it a castle you can set the voltage with the castle link.

Also running the cheeper motors are fine, they are just not as consistant between them. Some run better than others. Ther bigest prob i have seen is that they dont take as many hits as the higher quality ones. I have seen the smaller indoor ones guys go through 3 motors in a couple of mints flying indoors. They were hitting the gym floor quite a bit though.
I use a cc Thunderbird. They dont have 6v capabilities
nickelbn1 is online now Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold ... hosam Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Jul 17, 2012 09:23 PM
Sold 47" 3D Hobby Shop Edge 540.. LPU SteveT. Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Mar 11, 2012 06:58 PM