HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2012, 07:51 PM
Joined Mar 2012
11 Posts
Discussion
need help flying my piper cub

i keep crashing! on the simulator i am AWESOME! but every time i go fly my dynam j3 piper cub we (my dad and me) we cant get if of the ground so we hand launch it and the first time it nosedived and "flew" not even 10 feet. the second time I hand launched and I got it in the air but after about 10 seconds it turned around and went right at me and hit me in the shoulder.

Does anybody have any tips to help fly or how to launch it off the ground so I don't have to hand launch every time.
LikeARock is offline Find More Posts by LikeARock
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2012, 01:57 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,826 Posts
One trick I have seen is to stretch out a plastic tarp on the ground so you have a smooth, flat surface to take off from. You have to pull it tight and stake the edges down.

Also, double check the c.g. Should balance something like 1/4 to 1/3 back on the wing. Make sure the controls don't move too much. On many planes you can get by with about 10 degrees up and down elevator, or less, and maybe 20 degrees on the rudder. Try to make small control movements, and don't let the nose point too high.

I don't know if this particular plane is any good.

Lots of times problems that seem very tough to you can be solved easily if you can find an experienced instructor.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Apr 01, 2012, 03:13 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,567 Posts
Remember, on the sim, the planes are set-up and ballanced just right.
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Apr 01, 2012, 05:34 PM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Apr 2010
962 Posts
There are two opposing opinions:rise off ground, you have a little more time.Hand launch, you have a little more air time,as it is already in the air. I favour hand launch.Hand launch does NOT need a run-up, just a push at approx flying speed, level or slightly downwards so speed can build up.Full throttle to get it away.As a beginner to real flying, the cards are stacked against you.Even if the CG is perfect (checked?), it will need to be trimmed for S&L once you are clear of the ground.Learning to fly a rc plane is a LOT like learning to ride a bike - once you can fly, you could take an ill-trimmed tail-heavy BITCH up and get back down in one piece, but as a newbie, even a perfectly-set up plane can give you all sorts of problems.But that is one of the joys of our hobby, if it was as easy as PC games, we would not work at it.You will get it right, you may have to do some repairs, but once you have taken it up and landed in one piece the first time, it is GREAT!
Where are you based?
alibongo is offline Find More Posts by alibongo
Last edited by alibongo; Apr 01, 2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:23 PM
Joined Mar 2012
94 Posts
fwiw--I'm an old newbie---was in the hobby 20 yrs ago. First time I tried to fly a 40 sized trainer I couldn't get it off the ground. Second attempt (same day) I tried hand launching. Went 10' and flew into the ground. After gathering up the pieces I examined my radio and model. When giving up elevator I realized the elevator was going down! When I had stood behind the model and pulled back on the stick I saw the elevator surface go down which in my own feeble mind seemed correct since I was pulling back(down) on the stick.

First mistake above? I was trying to learn by myself. I won't make that mistake again.

regards

Wayne
Beemerider is offline Find More Posts by Beemerider
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined Mar 2012
11 Posts
beemerider we realized that after we flew into the ground

the 10 second flight we had corrected it hopefully we can figure out my other problems
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:35 PM
United States, TX, Friendswood
Joined Mar 2012
3 Posts
I have recently started flying again after taking ~18 year break. The first and smartest thing I did was purchase a good flight simulator program (RealFlight 6). Like you, after a while (~20 hours) I was able to fly perfect on the simulator. What I have noticed is the flight simulator program DOES NOT simulate take-offs very well. The simulator allows you to nail it and your off the ground within a few inches. While in the real world you have wind, grass, friction, drag and most importantly - NO RED RESET BUTTON.

Learning how to maintain control of your plane while on the ground with the “left/rudder” stick and keeping it straight while ramping up to take off speed is critical. Practice maneuvering your plane on the ground at different speeds. When you’re comfortable with that graduate to doing bunny hops; but remember to always zero the throttle if you think you’re getting into trouble. It minimizes damage to your plane.

Where are you located?

Skooter
Skooter81 is offline Find More Posts by Skooter81
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:01 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,716 Posts
As much as a good sim WILL help you to get the basics of RC flying down. It is no substitution for the real thing. There are too many variables as others have stated.

My best advice would be to seek out someone with some experience. I would look for a flying club in your area for starters. If you don't have one, then try going to your local hobby store. You'd be surprised how helpful they can be.
Hit N Run is offline Find More Posts by Hit N Run
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:02 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,390 Posts
If you have no one to give your gear a pre-flight, take some video of control surface operation and post it. If someone spots something wrong they will tell you.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:05 AM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
If you have no one to give your gear a pre-flight, take some video of control surface operation and post it. If someone spots something wrong they will tell you.
I agree!
Hit N Run is offline Find More Posts by Hit N Run
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:28 AM
Joined Mar 2012
11 Posts
well tried again a couple of days ago and we tried launching it off the ground and flew for about 5 feet the i put more elevator and flew straight up the straight back down
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:07 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeARock View Post
well tried again a couple of days ago and we tried launching it off the ground and flew for about 5 feet the i put more elevator and flew straight up the straight back down
Your getting close This is where the experience shines through, when it starts climbing too fast an experienced pilot would quickly level it, point it slightly down so it don't stall, regain speed and then take it up slowly. It all happens pretty fast for a beginner.

Maybe it's set up okay, let it climb out with power and stay off the elevator as it sounds like you may have over controlled with the elevator. Patience may be needed as throttle/power will make it climb without forcing it up with elevator.

Let us know how it goes with these tips.
immelguy is offline Find More Posts by immelguy
Last edited by immelguy; Apr 20, 2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Mar 2012
11 Posts
thanks i will try that
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:21 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,111 Posts
Good luck!

Please note that my suggestions above are not based on all the facts that you know. You mentioned that it flew for a few feet ... you were there and if you feel it was coming out straight/level and not veering, then all is good laterally.

If that is the case, and it comes out nice, altitude and power should be your focus for your next game plan. I'm not an expert but we can teach ourselves if we treat crashes as a learning experience. Wish they would invent a black box for rc Watch carefully what happens during takeoff. I've gone through a lot of glue learning what to watch for and there are pilots where I fly that can get near anything in the air ... first time. They blow me away
immelguy is offline Find More Posts by immelguy
Old Apr 21, 2012, 05:15 PM
Fla.
Joined Apr 2005
966 Posts
I've had a lot of students that use a simulator say that on the "real " thing it is a LOT more sensitive. You have to have a light touch and use very little stick movement on most planes.

Think of it this way: do you have a wife or a pet ? They don't like to be slapped around, your plane doesn't either and both will bite ya good if ya do it.

Another point : Most people try to use to much power to quick. On your hand launch try just putting about 2/3 throttle on and a smooth toss instead of a hard throw. You don't want a rocket type take off, it's not real and not easy to handle.

As far as a ground launch ( ROG ). With most tail draggers people over control and use to much power right off and that just gets them in trouble. Try slowing down and just controling the plane on the ground till you can get it going a little faster a bit at a time. In most cases, full power will just keep you in trouble. ENJOY !!! RED
redh is offline Find More Posts by redh