HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:36 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,894 Posts
Discussion
GPS vs. RF Tracking

I figure now that I'm more into FPV and have a GoPro to record with, it's worth the investment of a tracking device of some sort should it go down. What are people's opinions on the two? I know the GMS GPS devices are around $60 now+data costs and the fmkit one is about the same price but doesn't require a plan of any kind. I live in New England and it's heavily forested around the 200 m x 200 m open areas I have to fly in so I need something that will let me track it well should it go down and wanted thoughts on it.
Thanks!
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:42 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,894 Posts
No suggestions on one or the other in a more heavily wooded area?
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:17 PM
Design, Build, and Fly
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Joined Nov 2001
362 Posts
I made my own GPS tracking solution with an XBee modem connected to an EM406 GPS, both from SparkFun. I guess this counts as both? If I place a directional antenna on my receiving XBee, I can use the RF method, and obviously, if I'm getting packets and the GPS keeps sending the last good fix position, I've got the other.
KatanaGuy is offline Find More Posts by KatanaGuy
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:42 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,330 Posts
Here is a low cost beeper.

http://www.himodel.com/electric/GWS_...FT_BEEPER.html

manual here - http://www.gwsus.com/english/service...F01_manual.pdf
milo12 is online now Find More Posts by milo12
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:04 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,228 Posts
Dosd+v2 gives you gps co-ord (or most OSD's).. when flying low or prior to an event of a crash..provided if you have recorded you flight..
then buy a handheld gps, enter the co-ordinates and follow the gps..
barok is online now Find More Posts by barok