Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 06, 2010, 08:09 AM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
for the life of me im wondering why they didnt just use 2 real small servo's instead of one right in the middle..hanging out. :O sheesh
That's easy. 2 servos cost twice as much as 1.
turbodriven is offline Find More Posts by turbodriven
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2010, 12:07 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,935 Posts
Well it is ready to fly. AUW with a 4S1800 lipo is 18.2 ounces. CG is very close to the manual, I am about 1/8" behind, so I need to get some lead to add to the nose. So will be about slightly heavier. This model is bigger than the AMX and only 2" smaller in span and length than the Hobby Lobby SkyBlazer F-86 and honestly I am betting this F86 on 4S will perform about the same as the Skyblazer does on 3S due to the fan size.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 07, 2010, 05:12 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,935 Posts
I tried to maiden today twice and both unsuccessful. !st was with the CG at 107mm per manula. Threw it and it flipped over and hit the ground, the CG was way to aft. Then repaired it and added .5 ounce to nose then tried again, not as bad but still too aft CG. Needed almost full down to hold it level, need to repair again! The specified CG as way off, not even in the ballpark.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 07, 2010, 05:59 PM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I tried to maiden today twice and both unsuccessful. !st was with the CG at 107mm per manula. Threw it and it flipped over and hit the ground, the CG was way to aft. Then repaired it and added .5 ounce to nose then tried again, not as bad but still too aft CG. Needed almost full down to hold it level, need to repair again! The specified CG as way off, not even in the ballpark.

Don
Yikes. Thanks Don. Seems kind of heavy. Between your experience and that other guy who posted that it was tail heavy, now I'm "really" going to play with the movement of my Hyperflow EDF forward. I'm sure you've thought of this but have you thought about remounting the EDF a tad forward? The thing I've noted with the Wicked motors is they have a heavy rear so I am always moving my engine mount location to account for it. Good luck and waiting to see where that CG really ends up.
alexandermh is offline Find More Posts by alexandermh
Old Apr 07, 2010, 06:24 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,935 Posts
The weight is higher than stock but the power is much higher as well. 18.5 ounces and 430 watts is 380 watts per pound The issue here is CG location. I had to add 1/4 ounce to the nose to get to balance at 107mm per the manual. This resulted in a tailslide and flip over. Fluttered like a leaf. So I fixed it and added .5 ounce more then flew again, this was still too far back, fle about 150 feet out then nosed up and I gave full down and then it went into a perfect flat spin. So I have it fixed again and am trying even more forward CG. I need to get an incidence meter on this thing, it looks like the tail has a ton of incidence built in it but it may an illusion due to the dihedral.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 07, 2010, 07:06 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,935 Posts
Added another .75 ounces to the nose and tried again with the CG about 12mm ahead of suggested location, flew out about 300 feet then pulled up a little to climb then the nose pitched up and it spun in again. I do not know what the heck the issue is with this plane but it is the worst flying model I have ever tried to get to fly. The CG for this flight seemed better it almost acts like the tail gets blanketed when the nose goes up. I give up. My suggestion for those who want a nice F-86 is to buy this one instead:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/f86_skybl...frame_only.htm

Before this last flight I compared these two side by side and noticed the following differences, the tail incidence is about twice as much on this smaller version (which is why I think the CG needs to be do far forward) since it is now a faster flying model, and also the CG location compared to the root chord is much further aft on the 50 mm version than the 64mm version. For those who have this plane good luck!

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 07, 2010, 08:15 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,935 Posts
Being the sadist I am the F86 is fixed again. I also cut the stabs and reduced the incidence in them to see if this is part of my troubles. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 07, 2010, 08:52 PM
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2005
851 Posts
Don... make sure both elevators move up and down the same amount... for some reason stock mine moved the back right elevator up about 2mm more than the other elevator... everytime i gave a lot of up it would snap roll on me. redid the entire servo setup and flies pretty nice now.
smasher41 is offline Find More Posts by smasher41
Old Apr 07, 2010, 11:59 PM
Stick 'em up!
USA, CA, La Mirada
Joined Feb 2005
135 Posts
Don, I maidened mine today also with your 5400/Wemo setup & used a Zippy 1000mah 25C 3S lipo. AUW is 420 grams with battery. First off, I had to move the fan unit up about 9cm to get it to balance where it was at with the stock setup. the fan sits about mid-wing so I had to filll in the gaps on both sides of the fan with scrap foam & hot melt glue, that was a nightmare in itself! It flew well for about 2-1/2 minutes, then my battery cut out on me & I had to ditch it about 200 yards away. I'm not about to give up yet, I'm going to order some 1300 30C lipos (3S), redo the thrust tube, do a nip & tuck & try again.

Ramon
kamoch is offline Find More Posts by kamoch
Last edited by kamoch; Apr 08, 2010 at 12:01 AM. Reason: grammar
Old Apr 08, 2010, 06:53 PM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoch View Post
Don, I maidened mine today also with your 5400/Wemo setup & used a Zippy 1000mah 25C 3S lipo. AUW is 420 grams with battery. First off, I had to move the fan unit up about 9cm to get it to balance where it was at with the stock setup. the fan sits about mid-wing so I had to filll in the gaps on both sides of the fan with scrap foam & hot melt glue, that was a nightmare in itself! It flew well for about 2-1/2 minutes, then my battery cut out on me & I had to ditch it about 200 yards away. I'm not about to give up yet, I'm going to order some 1300 30C lipos (3S), redo the thrust tube, do a nip & tuck & try again.

Ramon
Congrats and glad to hear of some success with this plane Ramon. Keep us updated on your progress so we can steal your ideas.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 09:52 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,935 Posts
Well the remaiden was a HUGE success. Looks lumpy but goes like all heck. I am going to measure my CG and show what I did to the tail on mine. Now that I know what works, I think I will move the fan forward so I can get rid of the 1.25 oz lead.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:47 AM
USA, MO, Salem
Joined Jan 2005
79 Posts
Perseverance

Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
max-nix is offline Find More Posts by max-nix
Old Apr 12, 2010, 02:09 PM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,652 Posts
It's funny how the COG can change so dramatically from just repowering. You'd think the balance point would be the balance point no matter what was inside. Mine flies beautiful at the stock COG with stock internals.
turbodriven is offline Find More Posts by turbodriven
Old Apr 12, 2010, 05:58 PM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodriven View Post
It's funny how the COG can change so dramatically from just repowering. You'd think the balance point would be the balance point no matter what was inside. Mine flies beautiful at the stock COG with stock internals.
The center of lift doesn't change . . . the center of gravity does.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 09:42 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,935 Posts
Measured the CG and it is at 95mm compared to the recommended 107mm. Also I reduce a the incidence on the horizontal stabilizers. Maybe mine was molded poorly or something but there was a lot of up molded into them when assembled to the fuselage. It goes great now. Now that I know it is flyable I will try to get a video and some doppler. My guess is it is about 85-90mph now.
RCG Plus Member