HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2014, 08:55 AM
Joined Oct 2014
9 Posts
Discussion
How Do I Know

I am new to rc helicopters. I see people using different sized batteries in their heli than what comes with it. Since I don't want to burn up any motors or anything, when can you use a battery with different mAh? Can you use a battery with more cells?

Thanks in advance.
Kithikor is offline Find More Posts by Kithikor
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2014, 09:00 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,158 Posts
mah? Depends.
It has to fit of course and not be so heavy the heli doesn't fly well.
It also has to be large enough to provide the needed current.
A small change either way should not be a problem. Like using a 2500mah instead of a 2200mah pack.

Number of cells? Unless you change the motor, it has to have the samt number of cells.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Nov 09, 2014, 11:00 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,993 Posts
You can often get away with increasing the cell count without changing the motor, but it will almost always require a change in the prop diameter and/or pitch or (in the case of a helicopters) a change in the gear ratio. Those changes are made to keep the power system wattage within the acceptable specs for the motor and ESC.

But before going down that road it's important to know whether the motor and ESC are rated for the higher voltage. The maximum current a BEC circuit in an ESC can supply to the RX and servos is also an issue. The available BEC current often decreases as the input voltage increases so adding cells may require the use of an external BEC. And adding cells typically means reducing the diameter of the prop which usually makes 3D maneuvers harder to perform.

The bottom line is there are too many variables for a generic answer, but the one thing which will apply to every case is you need to know what you're doing, do the research, and have (and know how to use) a watt meter before you start experimenting. In my book, the only other acceptable alternative is to copy other "known-good" setups part-for-part.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR