Old Sep 27, 2014, 08:43 AM
bein ebin
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
111 Posts
Discussion
Graupner no longer in Australia ?

Hi

I am in the "research phase" of getting a radio as my initial investment into my journey in RC world.

I am a newbie with limited knowledge and budget and have narrowed down to hitec aurora 9x or the graupner mz18 after spending days and hours researching via forums. Was considering taranis but since I am new, I would stay away from that powerful radio due to the programming part and I am not that great at it.

I am more towards the graupner due to the factor that I get a better looking radio with two receivers, full telemetry, voice, color display with touch and cool radio case. Also they are good with support and also provides frequent updates which can be easily downloaded and the radio can be updated.

Further research, I found out that the graupner brand has stopped local support in Australia and also I cannot find any local dealers who would sell this amazing product. A bit disappointing that finally I found something but its not easily available ?

Checked "Tower hobbies" and the radio is on "restricted" list to be shipped to Australia.

Any one knows more about this radio being used in Australia ? Looks like an amazing deal for $500 range radios.

Ebin
ebinmoothedam is offline Find More Posts by ebinmoothedam
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2014, 09:23 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2014
177 Posts
Www.kellettshobbies.com.au
fpvpilotrc is offline Find More Posts by fpvpilotrc
Old Sep 27, 2014, 03:48 PM
Loose Sox Special Spec
Australia, SA, Modbury North
Joined Feb 2012
1,467 Posts
OMP used to be the Australian distributor of Graupner but they lost the deal to Ace Hobbies. Unfortunately they have been VERY slow to get stock in as they are starting from scratch and MF (OMP retail leg) have liquidated all their Graupner stock on the cheap to clear it out. That has left us here in Oz with a big lull in the market.

For what it's worth, I ran with an Aurora 9 radio for 5 years. While it was a decent radio, my new Spektrum DX9 demolishes it in every sense. And coming from me who always hated Spektrum and got lots of free stuff from Hitec...
LooseSox is offline Find More Posts by LooseSox
Old Sep 27, 2014, 05:31 PM
bein ebin
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvpilotrc View Post
Thanks for the link. Checked the radio and it's $600. A bit out of my budget now. Checked with towerhobbies and they say they can't post regular US Post but can post via usps international post. It will cost me $450 for the same radio with postage. Hope kelletshobbies comes with some clearance sale for graupner
Old Sep 27, 2014, 05:34 PM
bein ebin
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseSox View Post

For what it's worth, I ran with an Aurora 9 radio for 5 years. While it was a decent radio, my new Spektrum DX9 demolishes it in every sense. And coming from me who always hated Spektrum and got lots of free stuff from Hitec...
What did you mean by saying hated spektrum always and got lots of free stuff from Hitec ?
Old Sep 27, 2014, 06:01 PM
Mandurah, WA, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
143 Posts
Have you not looked at taranis?
skyfox is offline Find More Posts by skyfox
Old Sep 27, 2014, 07:28 PM
Loose Sox Special Spec
Joined Feb 2012
1,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebinmoothedam View Post
What did you mean by saying hated spektrum always and got lots of free stuff from Hitec ?
I had issues with olllllld school Spektrum (original dsm stuff) with my car radio and never trusted it with my aircraft, also had a few mates with lockouts on dsm2. Having said that, after I played with the DX9 on dsmx I was sold, had more 3 position switches than the Aurora as well which I needed. And once I got my head around spektrum's modern architecture and out of the Hitec mindset, it became much easier to program.

As for the other question, I got my Aurora delivered for $320 and paid cost price for all my receivers plus got a stash of merchandise from Hitec USA simply by asking some questions to the right people
Old Sep 27, 2014, 07:37 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2014
177 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the link. Checked the radio and it's $600. A bit out of my budget now. Checked with towerhobbies and they say they can't post regular US Post but can post via usps international post. It will cost me $450 for the same radio with postage. Hope kelletshobbies comes with some clearance sale for graupner
They wont be liquidating, they took over from OMP. Servos and little things I can understand buying from tower, but with a radio I hope you never have a warranty or issue or need for repair as locally no one will touch it.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 01:16 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,756 Posts
Have a look at the FrSKY TARANIS, full frequency hopping based on futaba fasst system, openTX software with everything fully programmable, telemetry built in and all the current receivers have smart port and s-bus. Best value for money in a radio, local stock from us, fully complianced and MAAA approved, as someone else said, service on a radio bought from OS is a real pita, and you don't get c-tick either which will limit you if you decide to join a club.

I have flown with FrSKY JR module in my 9XII since they first released the product, its rock solid with instant rebind, very low brownout voltage etc. The TARANIS can take other brand modules in the back too so you could fly your main models on FrSKY system and have a spectrum module for little bind n fly stuff down the track. Its about the most versatile radio unit on the market.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Sep 28, 2014, 03:43 AM
bein ebin
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
111 Posts
Hi. Thanks for the information. I am very well aware of taranis. I almost pulled the trigger on the taranis plus. I know its the most powerful radio awailable now with so much flexibility you don't know what else it cannot do.

I am still learning everything from the basics including what's is bec to pitch curve to idle up. Haven't started building anything yet. I downloaded the companion software and tried messing around it and found it extremely hard for me to figure out anything. So I decided to stay away from it coz i don't want to get intimidated by the radio and lose interest in flying.

The three radios I really looked at were taranis, aurora 9x (easiest to program )and mz 18 (coz it looks easy to program, two receivers with telemetry and awesome support ).

I wasn't aware that graupner is not c-ticked....later once I have few helis and some bare experience I do plan to join a club and yes I don't want to change my radio for at least 2-3 years.

From the responses I hear from this, I think I stop worry about the graupner and focus on the aurora9x.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 03:49 AM
bein ebin
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseSox View Post
I had issues with olllllld school Spektrum (original dsm stuff) with my car radio and never trusted it with my aircraft, also had a few mates with lockouts on dsm2. Having said that, after I played with the DX9 on dsmx I was sold, had more 3 position switches than the Aurora as well which I needed. And once I got my head around spektrum's modern architecture and out of the Hitec mindset, it became much easier to program.

As for the other question, I got my Aurora delivered for $320 and paid cost price for all my receivers plus got a stash of merchandise from Hitec USA simply by asking some questions to the right people
Looking at dx9 now. Damn you

Getting the aurora delivered for $320 is a deal with some freebies. Two weeks back I checked a local hobby shop in Brisbane and they were selling mode1 aurora for $499 and it didn't come with a charger. I was told I need to get a separate charger worth $20 or use a Lipo battery charger. I felt there is something weird for them to sell the radio with out a charger.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 04:18 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2014
177 Posts
Quote:
Hi. Thanks for the information. I am very well aware of taranis. I almost pulled the trigger on the taranis plus. I know its the most powerful radio awailable now with so much flexibility you don't know what else it cannot do.

I am still learning everything from the basics including what's is bec to pitch curve to idle up. Haven't started building anything yet. I downloaded the companion software and tried messing around it and found it extremely hard for me to figure out anything. So I decided to stay away from it coz i don't want to get intimidated by the radio and lose interest in flying.

The three radios I really looked at were taranis, aurora 9x (easiest to program )and mz 18 (coz it looks easy to program, two receivers with telemetry and awesome support ).

I wasn't aware that graupner is not c-ticked....later once I have few helis and some bare experience I do plan to join a club and yes I don't want to change my radio for at least 2-3 years.

From the responses I hear from this, I think I stop worry about the graupner and focus on the aurora9x.
Graupner purchased in Australia is C-ticked.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 04:57 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,720 Posts
Quote:
With collective pitch helicopters, the radio is just about the simplest part. By the time someone can assemble a heli from parts, tune the FBL unit, program the ESC, level the swash, adjust pitch links... they are by definition a relatively advanced modeler.

Or to put it another way, don't let the Taranis worry you, because the rest of the heli will prove far more challenging. Once you understand what makes the heli tick(and toc ), programming the radio will practically take care of itself.

Spending 3x as much on European exotica in the hope of somehow bypassing that steep learning curve is not going to work. What you might consider instead, if you're absolutely set on starting off with a CP heli, and you don't have any prior experience, is to get an RTF kit like this one:

http://www.modelflight.com.au/blade-...tf-mode-2.html

Yep, it's significant money, but the kit includes a DX6i, which is about as simplistic as it gets for 6ch radios, and anyway you'll spend more in parts by the time you're a confident CP heli pilot.

My suggestion to anyone wanting to start their RC progression with a CP heli is - don't, especially if you're doing it alone. Statistically, the bird will be rather lucky to survive its first thirty seconds of "flying", and the pilot will get disillusioned quickly. Buy this instead and practice indoors until you figure out whether you're really interested:

http://www.zeejayhobbies.com.au/mult...prod_9473.html

Afterwards, if you've got the upright orientations down pat, and you still want to fly CP helis, buy a Taranis and a T-Rex 450L.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Sep 28, 2014, 06:02 AM
bein ebin
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
111 Posts
I do have a little bit of experience building a cp helicopter, but this was almost 2 years ago and i had to leave it due to financial constraints. I even documented the build hoping others might find some help from it. I bought it from India when I came to Australia and I still have it with me.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1726861

I am also practice-hovering most weekends on my v911 as I want to be as thorough as possible with the orientation. No orientation - no helicopter and I am expecting that first 30 second maiden flight.

Now that I can think of getting back into rc world and that wifey supports me (probably out of pity) my plan is to take this step by step.

My idea is get a good radio which will carry me for few years, complete the build on the heli from where I stopped, get more experience (means buying more used parts, cheap kits from HK) and become good at flying helicopters. This will see my buying more receivers and I can see frsky receivers are cheap compared to some others.

Now the taranis is calling me back and I'm back at square one. Time for more research.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 06:12 AM
Loose Sox Special Spec
Joined Feb 2012
1,467 Posts
Quote:
Looking at dx9 now. Damn you

Getting the aurora delivered for $320 is a deal with some freebies. Two weeks back I checked a local hobby shop in Brisbane and they were selling mode1 aurora for $499 and it didn't come with a charger. I was told I need to get a separate charger worth $20 or use a Lipo battery charger. I felt there is something weird for them to sell the radio with out a charger.
Yeah the hitec doesn't come with a charger in their standard kit. I ran a limo in mine and charged it on my main charger anyway.

I've got a few mates with a taranis and it looks like a good unit once they figured out the programing. I nearly bought one myself but I ended up with the DX9 with a deal to good to refuse so I went that way.