HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2014, 05:57 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jan 2009
715 Posts
Build Log
62.5" mk IX spitfire from Tony Nijhuis plans

Hi all,

Just thought i would do another finishing thread of my 1/7 scale mk IX spitfire built from scratch from Tony Nijhuis plans. As those who have followed my Hurricane thread, this again will be on how i am going to finish it and put the scale details on it - the reason.... i have had it 90% built for 2 - 3 years but never got around to finishing it

The model itself is stand off scale, as the tail is made from sheet 9mm balsa and sanded to shape. The wings are fully built up from balsa and lite ply and the fuselage is similar to most of Tony's design and is a box style construction with triangular corner pieces that you go to with the razor plane to shape accordingly. I have finished the whole plane off with 25g glass and epoxy, then primered and wet sanded. The retracts are all fitted and are mechanical retracts running off one centre 180 deg retract servo.

My first priority is going to be the cockpit area - the plan is to detail the cockpit from seat height up, as i have push rods running just under seat height. My next build which is the next of the "planes my grandfather flew" series, a 72" CAC WIRRAWAY will have a full cockpit and sound system from Model Sounds Inc. This build is a practice for that model!!

Chad Veich has already very kindly forwarded me lots of photos of the spitfire cockpit which has been an invaluable reference, and also the instructions and instrument artwork that he did when designing his 1/5.5 scale spitfire cockpit that he sells. Thanks so much Chad for your help so far - a top bloke!

So far i have hacked away the front dash area of the cockpit and done lots of sanding of the inner part of the fuse as in the corners is where the triangular balsa is, so this needs to be shaped for where the instrument panel is going. I have also made the bulkheads aft of the seat and the one that the instrument panel attaches to. Any suggestions from anyone on how to make a realistic instrument panel would be greatly appreciated!

I have also bought some thin square brass tube that is going to be the rail for the canopy slide mechanism as im going to attempt to make it fully functional. I'm using the Vac formed canopy that i bought with the plans which i have cut into 3 pieces, so will somehow need to strengthen the edges where the canopy frame is for rigidity and scale appearance. I am tossing up between lie ply, fibreglass strips, carbon tow or aluminium tape... what are peoples suggestions?

I'll aim to have some pics up tonight on progress so far, and hope people get on board and have their say !!

Thanks for having a look,

Sandy
shoey is offline Find More Posts by shoey
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2014, 06:44 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jan 2009
715 Posts
Ok, so here is what i have done to the cockpit area... made the cockpit opening rounded instead of square across as per the plan, roughly fitted the instrument panel bulkhead and the bulkhead at the aft of the cockpit.

I have a1/7 scale Top flite cockpit set to use, but i'm planning on adding lots more detail than that.
Old May 26, 2014, 09:58 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jan 2009
715 Posts
A bit more done tonight... I shaped the inner part of the two rear bullheads and cut the existing former to open up the rear inner fuselage. Drilled lightening holes in the rear bulkheads. I trimmed the cockpit sides and did a dry fit of those up to the instrument panel bulkhead and it all fits snug I might even be able to do a full cockpit with a floor if the pushrods fit under the seat ok
Old May 26, 2014, 10:38 AM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,893 Posts
Subscribed!

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old May 26, 2014, 11:02 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,763 Posts
I built the 72" span TN Spitfire, great flier, but I'm not exactly a 'scale' modeler when it comes to detail.

Good luck with the build.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old May 26, 2014, 11:58 AM
United States, MI, Kalamazoo
Joined Aug 2009
224 Posts
Subscribed.
cobra16 is offline Find More Posts by cobra16
Old May 27, 2014, 06:10 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jan 2009
715 Posts
Thanks for following guys
Nice Spitty Eflightray glad to hear you like how she flies. I believe the 72" model is the same design as the 62" except it has a built up tail compared with the sheet balsa tail that mine has.....might have to twist Tony's arm to scale down the tail plan from the 72" version so I can make a more scale tail
Old May 27, 2014, 08:36 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,763 Posts
You may want to also ask him to convert the plan to Depron foam, as that's what mine is built from

(Plus a little balsa as well ).
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old May 28, 2014, 04:51 AM
Watts Matter?
UK, South Yorkshire
Joined Feb 2011
478 Posts
A little more encouragement for you.......
86" RC Depron Spitfire with Sound Unit (4 min 10 sec)

Regards
Roy
Electriflier is offline Find More Posts by Electriflier
Old May 28, 2014, 06:57 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jan 2009
715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
You may want to also ask him to convert the plan to Depron foam, as that's what mine is built from

(Plus a little balsa as well ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electriflier View Post
A little more encouragement for you.......
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eeqXjhGjWGE
Regards
Roy
Thanks guys, that has certainly inspired me to push on! I have built with depron before and will definitely incorporate it into my next build, however I prefer to skin with balsa then glass and epoxy for a nice hard finishing surface. The sound system sounds great! I was actually going to try one of the Mr Rcsound units in the spitfire and hurricane as I didn't want to hack into the fuse for speakers. I'm tending towards the model sounds inc system for the wirraway as it's a bit bigger and could fit 2 4" speakers during the build. From what I have heard the fidelity of sound for this unit is superior to the Mr RC sound setup, but saying that your system sounds great!

I'll post some pics later, but I have worked out the sliding mechanism for the canopy by cutting a slot in some small square brass tube. Two small screws will be screwed into the canopy frame and the head will slide inside the brass tube. I might get my hands on some square aluminium tube to see if that works ok to save some weight. Pics will tell a million words . I've also decided to build myself a vac forming machine which I will make a new canopy. I'm thinking of pulling a clear thin part on the plug, then a thicker ABS plastic over the top of that one (so it will be slightly larger). I'll cut the Perspex part out of that thicker part to leave just the frame, then the thinner clear part will fit snugly up inside the frame.... Sounds good in theory

I'll also be able to use the vac former to make cockpit detail as well as engine bulges, cannon blisters and radiators from plugs. I hope to get all the parts for the vac former tomorrow and should take too long to make...

The cockpit is coming along nicely, I've primered the bulkheads and wet sanded to lose the ply look to make them look like metal. I'll also stick some styrene where the bulkhead has a "I" channel look to bring out the detail, along with rivets. Lots to do, but as I said I'll post some pics later
Old May 28, 2014, 07:47 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jan 2009
715 Posts
Well I've taped the three parts of the canopy back together and built up the walls with masking tape and jigged the canopy upside down . Mixed some red food colouring into the plaster mix to make it stand out a bit more for final finishing. Left the mix fir about 15 min then was able to pull the canopy cleanly. One minor imperfection but that will be easily fixed should be cured enough by the time I make the vac firming machine...

Posted some photos of the canopy slide rail, pretty self explanatory ...the tube will fit into a slot already cut into the fuselage. I'll drill a hole 2/3 of the way back along the slide so I will be able to get the canopy off if needed after installation.
Old May 29, 2014, 09:29 AM
Englishman in Japan
Takasaki, Gunma, Japan
Joined Nov 2003
470 Posts
Nice work!
I just finished mine a few weeks ago. Flies very nicely. I added flaps,pushed the battery through the firewall and moved the servos as far forward as possible. Didn't have to add any lead. What power setup are you going to use?
Here's a link to my build thread:-
http://modelchat.org.uk/forum/scale-...e?limitstart=0
I'll try and post a few pics
Spadkun is offline Find More Posts by Spadkun
Old May 29, 2014, 10:45 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jan 2009
715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spadkun View Post
Nice work!
I just finished mine a few weeks ago. Flies very nicely. I added flaps,pushed the battery through the firewall and moved the servos as far forward as possible. Didn't have to add any lead. What power setup are you going to use?
Here's a link to my build thread:-
http://modelchat.org.uk/forum/scale-...e?limitstart=0
I'll try and post a few pics
Looks great and glad she flies well! It is going to run on 5s 5020mAh and from memory a 580 kV motor? I'll have to check on that one. Have ordered one of the mr RC sound modules with 2 transducers so they can go up front to balance out. Thanks fir the link - I'll have a look!

Well I got 3/4 of the vac forming setup done ... Heater box and plastic framing. The heater I got from the hardware shop has a tilt cutoff mechanism which means I can't have it on the ground facing up - have to have it on the side. No big deal apart from nit being able to see the plastic sag for when it's ready - it will be trial and error and timing each one to get the best result I think. For the canopy, my plan now is going to be to pull the thicker ABS plastic first which will become the frame. I'll trim that, then pull the clear PET G canopy over the top of the ABS. Once I trim the frame, then that will fit snugly under the clear canopy -we will see how it looks the reason I'm doing thus is the plug has already got the frame proud of the clear part already.
Last edited by shoey; May 29, 2014 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Forgot pictures!
Old Jun 03, 2014, 10:02 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jan 2009
715 Posts
Vacuum former

I've been spending most of my time lately on building and refining the vacuum former as I think this will make fabricating scale parts down the track much easier. I think I am a winning formula now... I have gone the multiple small holes rather than one big hole under the tool which seems to work better. The frame is bigger so it holds a bigger sheet of plastic which means less thinning of the plastic. The whole box is now one piece, joined with two sets of hinges. One set allows me to pull the frame and plastic down quickly over the tool, and the other set allows me to clamp the plastic in the frame easily without any nuts and bolts as the other side has case clips to hold it together. Overall time now for setup is much improved. Once I finished I couldn't wait, so I did a quick pull of my hurricane canopy mould.... There was dust everywhere so the finish is quite bumpy, but the pull turned out really well. I'm also running 2 vacs for more vacuum too

Now I've finished that I'll be able to get back on with the build..... After a tidy up of the shed
Old Jun 03, 2014, 11:06 AM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,893 Posts
Looks great, shoey. Two comments from the peanut gallery, if I may. Your heater probably has either a mercury switch or a weighted microswitch in it to cut power when horizontal. It shouldn't be too hard to find and remove if you decide to go that way. I found that keeping the plastic sheet and table size closer to the part size led to less webbing than having an oversized plastic sheet. Of course, the depth of the pull influences the final plastic thickness, but all the factors play a part in finding the right size table for a given part. Watching and learning!

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85