SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 17, 2013, 06:08 PM
Joined Sep 2012
7 Posts
Discussion
Eflite Mig 15 on 3s?

Hello,
I have a stock eflite Mig 15 and I was wondering if anyone has tried to convert this amazing aircraft to accept a 3s lipo? I've watched a video on youtube by nitrocharged (correct me if I have the wrong name), who has successfully flown the Mig 15 on a 3s setup. As he stated in the video, it was a cold day, and the esc would most likely have "poped" due to the higher voltage. So, my question? Is it possible to attach an separate ESC to the Mig's control unit? There have been multiple after market companies who have manufactured external ESCs to modify the eflite blade mCP x to be brushless. Some of them are 2s compatible. So why would there not be something similar on the market for the Mig 15? If anyone has an idea, or knows of a product that will allow a 3s setup, I welcome you to share your knowledge.
Thanks.
1FlyingGuineaPig is offline Find More Posts by 1FlyingGuineaPig
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2013, 07:35 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,977 Posts
Looking at the specs below, considering the speed controller
is intigrated with receiver, is it even possible to do it? There may not be an additional throtle port on receiver. This fan system is only used on the MIG, designed just for 2s. Can the motor even run, prolonged on 11.1 V?

I'm not very familiar with these "smaller" set-ups, so I may be way off base. Just thought I'd take a stab at it!

Product Specifications
Type: Ultra Micro AS3X receiver with integrated brushless speed controller
# of Channels: 6
Modulation: DSM2/DSMX
Band: 2.4GHz
Length: 1.38 in (35mm)
Width: 1.00 in (25mm)
Height: 0.32 in (8mm)
Weight: 0.2 oz (6.4 g)
Voltage Range: 6.4V - 8.4V (2-cell LiPo)
Antenna Length: 31mm
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Apr 17, 2013, 07:59 PM
I can put anything here?
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Aug 2009
565 Posts
Might help, might not but

My (and others) run our GP F-86 on 3s with no immediate issues, im guessing with the similar size their cant be an incredible amount of difference in the electronics. I really dont know though, just a guess.
sgtcat09 is offline Find More Posts by sgtcat09
Old Apr 17, 2013, 08:37 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,977 Posts
If you look at this page, and scroll to bottom, NOTES FROM OUR TECH DEPARTMENT

Electronic Speed Control: 6A brushless
it is apparently separate from receiver, not intigarated. I think that would make the difference.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBVVC&P=ML
Old Apr 17, 2013, 08:57 PM
I can put anything here?
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Aug 2009
565 Posts
I forgot to add that, but yes i figured the integrated board would make a difference. I would go through the mig thread and see if anyone uses 3s and what the results are.
sgtcat09 is offline Find More Posts by sgtcat09
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:09 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,977 Posts
If 1FlyingGuineaPig goes to this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=eflit+mig+15

there are about 75 posts regarding 3s. The need to read!
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:35 PM
Joined Sep 2012
7 Posts
Thanks everyone for all of your input, towards this subject. I really appreciate it.
1FlyingGuineaPig is offline Find More Posts by 1FlyingGuineaPig
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:17 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,677 Posts
Had about 30 flights with a 180mah 3s lipo (with jst adapter) on a stock umx mig before I gutted it for another project. A big boost in speed! In the mod thread people warn that the ball bearings in the stock motor can't handle the RPMs and will eventually fail.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Apr 27, 2013, 03:04 PM
Insert something whitty here*
United States, IL, River Forest
Joined Apr 2013
246 Posts
I cant even get my Stock Mig-15 off the ground anymore.. would bumping it up to a 3s give it more power aka enough to get me off the ground?
StueyNez is offline Find More Posts by StueyNez
Old Apr 27, 2013, 09:13 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StueyNez View Post
I cant even get my Stock Mig-15 off the ground anymore.. would bumping it up to a 3s give it more power aka enough to get me off the ground?
Maybe but I'd fix your problem first. These foam jets (from 30mm to 70mm) develop ducting issues (leakage or narrow/clogged intakes). I'd also try newer lipos to see if it is battery related too.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:33 PM
Insert something whitty here*
United States, IL, River Forest
Joined Apr 2013
246 Posts
I know It's not the battery since its only 2 weeks old :P but the ducting thing might be the problem.
StueyNez is offline Find More Posts by StueyNez
Old May 09, 2013, 01:13 PM
United States, TN, Decatur
Joined Dec 2005
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StueyNez View Post
I know It's not the battery since its only 2 weeks old :P but the ducting thing might be the problem.
I have deep discharged new batts before and even slow charged them back up and they still were ruined. That was older, eflite 120 2s though. It still could be your batteries. Try them in something else maybe. IDK
dwayne loveday is offline Find More Posts by dwayne loveday